PDA

View Full Version : Chicken from China

wch
10-01-2013, 12:01 AM
On August 29th the USDA quietly announced that it would allow processed chicken from mainland China to be imported into the US with no post-processing examination, meaning that you cannot ascertain the country of origin nor the wholesomeness of the chicken in your soup or in your fast food sandwich. (It is well known that the Chinese food products industry has been complicit in exporting harmful foods in the past as the pet food debacle of a couple of years ago has shown.)
The Chinese have been found guilty of providing packaged "recycled" food to their own population; about 5% of the vacuum packed or canned food has been found to contain expired or redistributed proteins.
I am going to continue to be very careful to read food labels, and I will avoid canned and fast food chicken altogether.

starmac
10-01-2013, 12:54 AM
I pretty much avoid chicken, even home grown. They will have to import something else to kill me.

wch
10-01-2013, 06:26 AM
I pretty much avoid chicken, even home grown. They will have to import something else to kill me.

Hey, starmac, stick around- they'll likely be importing a lot more questionable food!

Hickory
10-01-2013, 06:45 AM
A side dish to Obamacare.
If the lack of medication and proper
health-care don't kill you, the imported food will.

lavenatti
10-01-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.naturalnews.com/042274_conventional_poultry_food_contamination_USD A.html

It's probably not much worse than US chicken anymore.

GabbyM
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
That would be the Chinese chickens they raise in pens suspended over there fish farm ponds. Tilapia and catfish.
Fish eat up the droppings. Fish is sold at USA Wal-Mart and discount grocers. Highly touted by the greens liberal left as healthy food. What's going into the chickens isn't much better than the fish get. Bon a Petite.

GabbyM
10-01-2013, 10:48 AM
A bit of more appetizing news. There is a small poultry processing plant just south of Arthur , IL here. Run by the Amish. Good stuff. Several of the high end restaurants from as far as Chicago 200 miles away send truck loads of poultry they have raised on contract to be processed there. If you're a small farmer with a few chickens to process. Certain days of the week they do that. Back your pickup with a few dozen chickens to the dock. Go around to the office and pay. Walk back to your truck and they are processed and packed in your truck. That fast. Very impressive operation. Still good food out there to be had.

starmac
10-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Growing up, we always raised and processed 50 to 100 chickens a year, I can't imagine taking chickens to have processed.
Years ago I read a govt report that claimed claimed chicken was the only thing that usda inspectors let slide. Supposedly 95% of chicken couldn't pass and they couldn't turn it all down. This may have been a factor as to why I don't eat it any more.

I used to commercial fish, and after watching how some buyers handle the fish, I got real picky about when and where I would eat fish.

Firebricker
10-01-2013, 01:29 PM
More poison from china we should be cutting back on anything from china not letting more in. FB

longranger
10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Chinese anything is garbage and most likely dangerous in one way or another,the shrimp are really bad,they are used to clean up cess pools then sold to stupid Americans. I don't eat shrimp or chickens in restaurants,shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico and Mexico are GTG. Chickens from known entities are GTG.

jcwit
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Just thinking, and that in itself is dangerous, but do we not grow our vegies and other produce in fields covered in manure?

Just a thought.

Some here should drive by a few pig farms here in No. Indiana.

starmac
10-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Just thinking, and that in itself is dangerous, but do we not grow our vegies and other produce in fields covered in manure?

Just a thought.

Some here should drive by a few pig farms here in No. Indiana.

Not exactly covered, but it is good fertilizer. I tend to think there is a big difference in using it to grow plants and animals and fish though. We have outlawed a lot of things that were once used for livestock feed, maybe for good reasons, maybe not.

TCFAN
10-01-2013, 04:41 PM
And here I am eating my Wal-Mart fried chicken while reading all of this:bigsmyl2:

jcwit
10-01-2013, 04:45 PM
I realize this is a little off topic, but have any of you thought what was in the lake water you swim in?

Or how bout traveling down back roads in Amish country on a motorcycle?

Carry on!

wch
10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
As I understand it, the chickens are US production which will be slaughtered and frozen here, then shipped to China where the meat will be processed and used in fast food and soups or as canned meat. (This will present any number of opportunities for contamination.)
This uninspected food will then be presented to you and your families in packaging without "country of origin" labeling.
Lord only knows where the hamburger is produced.

starmac
10-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I would like to see a list of which foods brands they will be doing this. It doesn't seem feasible that it would be cheaper to ship it there process it and ship it back.
There has to be reasons beside the cost of labor to process it. Even wallmart owned ships has to make money, of course they probably haul to china pretty cheap.

JeffinNZ
10-01-2013, 05:21 PM
We are VERY careful when grocery shopping that we buy NO food from China. The Chinese are dodgy on a good day. They will not have concerns about poisoning the rest of the world. Just look at the infant milk powder situation from a few years back.

It's a sad day when we can't even grow our own food. Not only do the Chinese own most of the world debt they are now trying to control the food also.

DON'T buy it.

Hardcast416taylor
10-01-2013, 05:44 PM
With their propensity for putting lead in about everything what can expect the content to be of lead in the chicken?Robert

smokeywolf
10-01-2013, 06:15 PM
This is all part of deal to get the Chinese government to allow U.S. beef producers to export their products to China. Unfortunately, the politicians are far more interested in campaign (bribes) contributions from the beef industry than in the health or safety of you, your children or grandchildren.
This Chinese processed chicken is going to end up in your kids school lunches and in every chicken nugget in the Country.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/09/usda-misinforms-parents-about-chinese-processed-chicken-in-school-meals/#.Uks-7cZQHZM

smokeywolf

gbrown
10-01-2013, 08:01 PM
The country with the most contaminated water? China. Eat anything that lives in the water, you get what's there. I pay a little more for American seafood/fish. If I buy Swai, catfish or Cod, etc. It comes from S. Vietnam, Chile, and countries with a little clearer water. Shrimp I buy are wild caught out of the Gulf of Mexico. Any food from China is a no-no here. Apple juice?/Orange juice?/ anything--read the info and find out. Nasty stuff out there, just be aware.

smokeywolf
10-01-2013, 10:56 PM
gbrown,
Be careful of the Swai ((original name, Tra) changed to Swai in 2009 for marketing purposes). Although it is a catfish, in 2002 the U.S. government decided that it isn't a catfish. The result of this reclassification was, Swai is no longer subject to the typically strict inspection standards as all other imported catfish. One of those requirements that Swai is no longer subject to is the testing of pollution levels in the water in which the Swai is farmed.

smokeywolf

Idaho Mule
10-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Not to hi-jack this thread by any means, but I just sold my beef for 3.10/lb hanging weight. I am pretty sure the beef consumed only locally grown feed and nothing from China. I raise my own hay, but feed locally raised and milled grains to fatten them. My butcher man charges .55/lb for cut and wrap, plus a 55.00 kill fee. That comes out to 3.73/lb to my customers. I have very happy beef buying customers but I only make about 150.00 apiece for each beef I raise, that's not much profit for the time and effort it takes. By the way, beef tastes better than chicken. JW

starmac
10-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Waaaay mo better.

Taylor3006
10-02-2013, 01:00 AM
I really started paying attention to where meat comes from when I happened to read on a label "product of USA, Canada, or Mexico"... Being a Texan I was appalled that we even imported beef, started paying attention and spreading the word. Nothing says food safety than Mexican meat IMHO. Luckily they have made a label for Texas meat and grown in Texas vegetables. I don't buy processed chicken and if I did, would stop. The idea of food from China absolutely horrifies me, would rather eat questionable sushi from a Mexican street vendor in Tiajuana. Pay attention to labels, support US farmers and tell your elected officials you support national origin labeling on all food and medicines imported to our country.

starmac
10-02-2013, 02:13 AM
I don't know about meat coming from mexico, but we have hauled a lot of calves out of there.

smokeywolf
10-02-2013, 03:09 AM
If I was within 50 miles of Idaho Mule, I would more than likely be courting him for my beef source.

The closest source for grass fed or grass fed/grain finished beef for me, is near Santa Barbara. Besides S.B. being almost 2 hours away, being a very upscale area, everything from Santa Barbara, CA is 20% more expensive than just about anywhere else.

I steer away from feedlot fattened beef when I can. Much of my beef comes from one of the few remaining "meat markets" in the area. Been there since the early 1900s.
I never buy fish or shellfish not marked "Product of U.S.A."

We buy locally grown produce whenever possible and avoid anything that comes out of China.

I think the 0 ought to be feeding his children China processed chicken and catfish from Viet Nam.

smokeywolf