PDA

View Full Version : 22 air rifle wax pellets

randyrat
09-30-2013, 10:12 PM
I've been working on a project for a while..My goal is a pellet that has just enough energy to kill a pigeon at 30'
Here are my Waxer talons8317483175
So far they go through two layers of tough corrugated board at 10 ft. I want them to kill a pigeon but not go through the roof of a pole shed

NoZombies
10-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Pretty neat!

I look forward to seeing how this works out.

I have an air powered shotgun that I use for such things, and it does handily.

plmitch
10-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Now thats a slick idea there!

roysha
10-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Be careful. Depending on the weight, if you are shooting them from a springer you could damage the gun.

randyrat
10-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes! I am concerned about ruining the spring gun...So I though about adding some length to the waxlett... OR maybe a gluelett may work better..
So you use PAM as a lube? and keep the mold cold? I'll try it.Thanks
I'm open to any ideas to be able to shoot these little COMMIES with wings without blowing a hole in the roof. Although I am still staying with the 22 cal air rifle for now.
Any body remember the old Hitchcock movie "THE BIRDS" Yeah that's what I am dealing with. The pigeons are so dang brave they don't leave when I go into the shed. It's for a friend, I'm afraid for him, I fear they are going get him someday :razz:
I think I will try a Gluelett with a #6 shot in the tip to give it a little weight.

randyrat
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
If all else fails I will try the 30-30 , a blob of wax with shot in it. Game on, it's time to KILL. Every since that movie I have had it out for birds, also I had a friend get just a little pigeon poop in his mouth, he was sick for 3 months with stomach problems. There is a time to love and a time to KILL.

bangerjim
10-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Do a search on the net for "diseases carried by pigeons".....you will be totally shocked!!!! I had to do a presentation for my HOA on the winged craphouses. Totally filthy. And they carry diseases for both man and beast. I have no idea why God made them! I have shot many of them with a standard 22 air rifle, but did not have to worry about going thru the roof!

Glue boolits will have more weight and with the BB in the front you will have more accuracy and lethality.

Good luck.....and good shootin!

bangerjim

country gent
10-02-2013, 08:28 PM
For several years our pidgen load was a 44 magnum revolver a gas check seated down on a light charge of powder case full of no9 shot and another gas check roll crimped in place. Inside buildings was very effective on pidgeons and rats.

44minimum
10-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Sounds to me like you should be using 22 lr shotshells

randyrat
10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Yeah that would be too easy you see.....I have to justify buying this dang air rifle...I shot it with regular 22 cal pellets yesterday and it is more accurate then I am. The trigger could use some TLC and maybe that will help the nut behind the stock.

deltaenterprizes
10-06-2013, 10:07 AM
That mold sure looks good!

Gibbs44
10-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Not trying to be mean to the birds or anything, but if they are nesting they won't go anywhere. A buddy of mine used to have a problem with pigeons in his shelter over the tractors. They nested, we got a pole knocked down the nests and disposed of whatever we found in the nest. They wanted to come back for a while, but we'd chase them out and wait with a shotgun.

I do like the idea of the wax pellet and a lead shot in the end. I wonder if anyone had ever tried using the wax plug idea, and the dropping some shot from the muzzle end of the barrel, kind of turn it in to a make shift air shotgun. I don't know if it'd be a good idea or not.

Good luck with getting rid of them.

randyrat
10-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Whoa! gibss44 that's a great idea. push in a wax pellet and then roll a few #4 or #6 shot down the barrel and make into a shot gun.. I have to try that . I'll get back here after some testing. You could put them into a small thin paper patch also, help hold them together.

randyrat
10-13-2013, 12:09 PM
WHOA! success has been found,although more work needs to be done..

I successfully killed a mean 2 inch circle at 20 ft using a small round blob of beeswax and about 6 - #6 shot rolled down the barrel..then on top of that I placed a small patch of thin paper to keep the shot from rolling out. I had to adjust the rear sight to zero it in, but it worked great. I wouldn't want to be a pigeon on the receiving end of that load, yet I doubt it would go through a sheet metal roof.

IF THE MODERATORS WANT TO MOVE THIS TO THE AIR GUN SECTION IT IS FINE WITH ME

randyrat
10-13-2013, 12:11 PM
That mold sure looks good!
Yes it does and you did a GREAT! job on it. Are you in the game for more projects like this?

Gibbs44
10-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Looking for an update, have you had a chance to go after some pigeons yet?

HollowPoint
10-28-2013, 01:59 PM
It sounds like the Hot Melt Glue bullets out of one of the lighter weight cast bullet molds might be just the ticket; provided they fly true.

The heaviest over the counter pellets you can buy for a 22 caliber air gun is about 21 grains of lead. I'm wondering what the weight of a Hot Melt Glue bullet would be if it was cast in a 45 to 50 grain bullet mold? They're bound to be alot lighter than cast lead but, how much lighter?

There are specialty 22 caliber pellets like the "Piledriver" that tip the scales at 30 grains for a 22 caliber and 21 grains for a .177 caliber. These specialty pellets are far more aerodynamic than your typical shuttle-cock-shaped air gun pellets. They are more conducive to longer ranges than the "Wasp-Waisted" conventional pellets so retained energy down range is surprisingly good. For inner-city or neighborhood use they have far to much penetration though; same with conventional heavy weights.

I mention this because if a guy could cast Hot Melt Glue bullets in a lighter weight bullet mold, the aerodynamics of one of these cast bullets would also be far better than conventional pellets if the weight of the finished cast pellet was down around 30 grains or less.

I don't think there would be a problem with a Hot Melt Glue pellet punching through the roof of any one's barn, especially if it first punched through a feral pigeon.

Darn it; now you got me thinking about trying it too.

I live closer to the inner-city and one of my neighbors has this thing about feeding stray animals. As a result, I now have feral pigeons making their homes under my evap-cooler and around my storage shed. This in turn lures in the feral cats that prey on these pigeons. The combination of these feathered-cock-roaches and these feral cats krapping and spraying to mark their territory calls for drastic measures.

Up to now I've been using my little Daisy Red Ryder to spook, sting or dispatch them when possible. Anything any more powerful posses a real safety issue. More powerful air rifles in my situation requires just the right projectile in order to be safe enough.

I've been thinking of trying to come up with some kind of frangible pellet. Anyone got any ideas?

HollowPoint

Multigunner
10-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I've been working on a project for a while..My goal is a pellet that has just enough energy to kill a pigeon at 30'
Here are my Waxer talons8317483175
So far they go through two layers of tough corrugated board at 10 ft. I want them to kill a pigeon but not go through the roof of a pole shed

I have some 6mm plastic waisted pellets I got hold of years ago. These are meant to be used with a dummy shot shell (about 28 gauge) in an early airsoft shotgun replica.
I've fired a few of these in my S&W 78g CO2 pistol with no problems, they are soft and chambered easily.
They are durable and reusable in the 78g, which is not that powerful. The skirts don't blow out anyway.
Accuracy was fair at close range.

If you want to try these out PM an address and I'll mail you a few, if I can remember where I put them that is.
I'd be interested in how well these work in a rifle at a bit higher velocity.

JakeBlanton
10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I wonder what a 6mm Airsoft BB would do in a .223 case with either minimal powder or just a primer.

Multigunner
10-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I wonder what a 6mm Airsoft BB would do in a .223 case with either minimal powder or just a primer.

I've fired the Enertia brand black BBs in my 78g. The plastic used in those is resilient and I haven't seen any break up yet.
The cheaper BBs are usually fairly brittle. I would expect those would break up in the bore.

I used to fire .22 lead pellets in an old Remington no.4 rolling block using blanks. The power level was about that of a modern airgun.
In Mexico they have .177 caliber rifles that propel a airgun pellet with a .22 blank. These were made to get around laws on fixed ammunition rifles.