PDA

View Full Version : Homemade everyday cleaner? Swore I saw it here.

palmettosunshine
09-29-2013, 11:16 PM
Hey everyone, I found (and made) a recipe for a homemade everyday cleaner with borax, vinegar and hot water some months ago and I would have sworn I found it here. I'm almost out and I wanted to make more but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be truly appreciated.

bruce drake
09-29-2013, 11:35 PM
1 gallon of Hot water, 1 Tablespoon of salt, Juice of one lemon and a good amount of dishwashing soap.

Place all the items in a clean milk jug and the drop your cartridges in. Close the top and agitate for about 5 minutes. Drain into a strainer in the sink and then place them in another clean milk jug and then rinse with the hottest water you can stand in the jug. Shake it around and again and then strain it again. Take the empty brass (should be shiny enough now) and place the brass upright on a cookie tray in the sun for the water to evaporate off.

oldfart1956
09-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Just a "around the house type cleaner"? From Consumer Reports Magazine; 1/2 cup ammonia+1 pint alcohol+1 gallon water. (I use distilled water because of the lime in my well water) A drop or 2 of Dawn makes it just a smidge better but don't go crazy with the Dawn. I use this on everything. Walls/ceilings/fans/appliances/shower/sink/toilet/counters/tabletops/windows.etc. Works as well or better than any commercial cleaner I've tried. Audie..the frugal Oldfart..

palmettosunshine
10-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks bruce and oldfart, I found it. I was looking for my old recipe for an everyday disinfectant cleaner. In case anyone is interested it is 2 teaspoons of borax (20 mule team), 4 tablespoons of vinegar and 3 cups of hot water. I mix it in an old measuring cup and then pour it in a spray bottle. Works great on kitchen counters, sinks, and just about any other surface, just don't use it on wood (ask me how I know...). Great inexpensive cleaner and it will shine counters like you wouldn't believe.

xs11jack
10-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Someone said that ammonia attacks brass and weakens it. Any truth to that?
Ole Jack

runfiverun
10-11-2013, 10:18 AM
ammonia isn't good for brass if you add some salt to the supermarket type vinegar you make a weak acetic acid this is what some guy's use to clean their brass, it however is not good for the brass long term. [like brasso]
I use a weak citric acid solution to clean the grunge from the cases before tumbling them in walnut media to dry them out.
then lube and size then another trip through the media with some nufinish in it to coat the cases lightly which helps keep them from oxidizing over time.