PDA

View Full Version : range lead=strange lead

db22
10-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Yep, I know that berm bullets may have any darn metal inside their jackets, but wheelweights are getting harder to come by around here . . .

So, I was trying to smelt down a batch of recovered jacketed pistol bullets from the club berms last weekend, and as I removed the empty jackets from the pot, I noticed a weird reddish dross collecting on the surface at around 800 degrees F. The more I skimmed, the more floated up. No amount of fluxing stopped this. Just to see what might happen, I turned up the heat, and watched the dross sorta melt away, and the whole mix begin to roil with funny colors, a sort of pinkish-green glassy substance coursing around on the surface. So, maybe aliens have been using the pistol range to practice with their blasters, or somethin'. When I turned the heat back down, the same reddish crust re-appeared on the surface.

Nope, no aliens shooting extraterrestrial alloy into the Western Wisconsin sand -- more likely some unwanted metal that was in the cores of the cheap ammo that gets used for practice. Any ideas what it might be? Poisonous? (most likely) After all that, I ended up with 2.5 pounds of some stuff that is shiny, but has blue streaks in the ingots. Should I cast with it, or what?

Jim
10-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Run a few and do a hardness test.

Wayne Smith
10-31-2007, 07:32 AM
Or something native in the Wisconsin sand! Don't forget that option.

GSM
10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Frangible (compressed copper dust) bullets?

buck1
10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Plain ol lead does that sometimes.
I got some that insisted on being blue and red. No trouble with any of it as far as casting/shooting. With mine anyway.

Lloyd Smale
10-31-2007, 02:57 PM
if it was just a shean of colar it was probably just your lead oxidizing. Soft leads will show some colar because they take more heat to melt and oxidize a little more. If its a grainy sludge you have another problem

targetshootr
10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
I haven't smelted any range lead yet so I'd like to ask if it took any more time to melt than ww. I haven't decided if it should be kept separate or mixed in with smelted ww.

db22
10-31-2007, 08:31 PM
if it was just a shean of colar it was probably just your lead oxidizing. Soft leads will show some colar because they take more heat to melt and oxidize a little more. If its a grainy sludge you have another problem

Mr. Smale -- there was a grainy sludge, come to think of it. I spooned it out of there for a while, and it finally stopped surfacing. What is that stuff??

Jim
11-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Grainy sludge sounds like zinc.

11-01-2007, 08:53 AM
I melted about 300 lbs 2 wks. ago. it took me 3 times as long as it does with ww. i am using 3 plumbers pots. it normaly takes me 1 hr for 200 lbs ingets. the range lead , and a lots of it was cast, took 3 times as long. but it was free.

Lloyd Smale
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
could be just dirt. But could be a contaminate. I would think that if your ingots looked fine it will be fine. the blue colar of your ingots is just a sign that your lead is proably on the soft side and took a little more heat to melt. Id try some and see how it casts it may be fine.