PDA

View Full Version : TC Scout

Taylor
10-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I had posted previously that my Scout shot well. Guess what? Now it don't. TC re-barrelled it last winter,so I have a brand new barrell. My target stand is a 16 inch motorcycle tire,now at 50 yards, let's not think about 100 yards at this pace.I can't even get on paper. I've tried various combinations of powder and RB's and Lee real in 320gr. I bore sighted it, then it made me think my scope was bad. Took it off, not even with iron sights can I get on paper. Now any idiot should be able to hit a target at 50 yards,have no idea where the round is going. No, the barrell is not bent,I checked it with a framing square. Agravation is a real part of this rifle now,but I sure do like it,just can't shoot it. Folks I'm lost, if anyone has an idea,I'm all ears. Why would it cope an attitude and quit on me?

Rick Hodges
10-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Taylor,

Relax, take a deep breath----Now try getting on paper by moving closer. It doesn't matter if you have to get to 15 yds to put it on paper. Once you can see what is going on you can start to work on it. The new barrel may not allign the same in the Scout receiver where your scope is mounted and you may have to make large corrections. You must see where it is shooting first and then make the adjustments.

mooman76
10-30-2007, 10:27 PM
What Rick said! Also just curious but if it shot well before, why did you ahve it rebarreled. Also you did not mention twist rate or anything like what are you using for powder ect.

Taylor
10-31-2007, 07:28 AM
I re-barreled because it looked like someone had been using steel balls for ammo. It was pretty beat up inside,that bothered me too much. I wanted it to shoot good,not well. Pyrodex RS is the powder. Tried 777 also.You guy's are probably right,settled down and think. I did think about a larger target,say a 4x8 sheet of plywood,or something,just to locate the round. Rick,you are right. I just have gotten so frustrated,I guess I lost my ability to troubleshoot.Deer season opens here in Tennessee this weekend and it ain't ready,but the Hawken is. I have been playing with this thing for a couple of months now,got p.o.'d,guess I need to lay it down for awhile and come back later. But should a boresight not compensate for a new barrel and it's alighment?

obssd1958
10-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Taylor!

I used half a 4x12 sheet of sheetrock to sight in my .54 when I first got it. I am great at procrastinating, so I only had a couple of weeks to find a load that it liked and get the iron sights set for that load (we aren't allowed the use of optics for a "muzzle loader" hunt). I painted the entire side I was shooting at with black spray paint to make the .54 caliber holes easy to see at 100 yds. Then I pasted an 8x11.5 sheet of white paper, with a 4" bull, to the middle of the sheetrock for an aiming point.
I shot a bunch of different loads trying to find one that the rifle liked, and then adjusted the sights for the one I chose.
'Twas an all day session, but it worked for me - and what a blast!!

Good luck with yours!:drinks:

Don

idahoron
11-01-2007, 12:02 AM
One thing I have to offer is use a felt wad between the powder and that REAL bullet. My gun don't shoot with a hoot if I use naked REAL's Try the felt you will see what I mean. Ron

Taylor
11-01-2007, 06:31 AM
can you be more specific on the felt. I have never used them and are unfamiliar with brands etc.So I really would not know what to look for. Thanks.

windwalker
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I re-barreled because it looked like someone had been using steel balls for ammo. It was pretty beat up inside,that bothered me too much. I wanted it to shoot good,not well. Pyrodex RS is the powder. Tried 777 also.You guy's are probably right,settled down and think. I did think about a larger target,say a 4x8 sheet of plywood,or something,just to locate the round. Rick,you are right. I just have gotten so frustrated,I guess I lost my ability to troubleshoot.Deer season opens here in Tennessee this weekend and it ain't ready,but the Hawken is. I have been playing with this thing for a couple of months now,got p.o.'d,guess I need to lay it down for awhile and come back later. But should a boresight not compensate for a new barrel and it's alighment? there is a saying if it aint brok dont mess with it i would of kept it as it was i have seen pitted and gouged bores shoot exelant groups.
bernie:-D

idahoron
11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
There are many felt over powder wads. I make my own. I use a 1/2" black pipe. I sharpen it and use it for the cutter. I get wool felt from craft stores and cut out the wads. I them put some Hornady lube in a bag with the wads and heat them in the microwave. I don't use much lube just enough to get some on each one.
My gun would not hit a barn at 50 yards. No realy If I could even hit paper at 50 yards I was lucky. Here is a group I shot after I started to use over powder wads. Ron
http://www.hunt101.com/img/485201.jpg

RBak
11-01-2007, 11:40 PM
One thing I have to offer is use a felt wad between the powder and that REAL bullet. My gun don't shoot with a hoot if I use naked REAL's Try the felt you will see what I mean. Ron

All of my muzzleloaders seem to prefer a wad when shooting a flat base conical also. I have had some major heartaches trying to get good groups before I started realizing that a simple wad would solve that problem when using REALS or Maxi-Balls :???:

Russ...

Taylor
11-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I have been riding the same Harley for 30 years,it has always been faithful.Never quit on me,it ain't never been broke.Unless I fixed it.I need to quit fixing things.But I looked at some felt yesterday,only went to 45 cal. So I think I will look at the craft section at walmart and see what I can find,definitely will give this idea a try.Some of my issues could have been not reading the instructions with the bore sight,made some changes,but it will be a day or two before I can check the results.Of course that does not explain the bad shooting with iron sights.I was wearing my glasses too!

Taylor
11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I found 100% pure polyester felt at Walmart. I quite sure that it is not ideal for for this particular application.Correct? I did remember that I have an old GI blanket in the trunk of the wifes car,if that is what I need,then it is toast! What say yee? Do thay need to be lubed?

idahoron
11-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't think I would do the poly. With wool if you light it on fire it turns to ash. I would thing the poly would make a plastic type goo that might stick in the bore. The lube MIGHT be enough to keep it from burning. I know my wool wads don't burn at all. If you want to try the poly let us know how it worked. I would lube but lightly. After you cut the wads put them in a zip lock and apply TC lube or I like Hornady. Put a little lube on them and put them in the microwave. Work the lube in REAL good so there is not too much. I have never had the lube mess with the powder if done sparingly. I use a 1/2" black iron nipple sharpened for my 50 cal. The wads are actually more like .650 but they make a GREAT seal. my 45's are cut with a 3/8" black nipple. They are actually more like .530 you probably use the 3/8 for everything. I like the way the bigger wad seals. Ron

Taylor
11-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Went to the range yesterday,whole family went,wife cooked ribs and dogs on the grill.Great time,everyone shot,"son in law" has a nice round cut on his right eye,M70,30.06,blood running down his face.I didn't say anything,just handed him a napkin.Now, on to my point.I went back and read the instructions to the bore sight a liitle more carefully,made some adjustments and I found in a yard sale this past week,and old hat,100% wool felt,$1.00.Took it home and made up some wads,lubed with TC bore butter.I use a large sheet of card board to make sure I had plenty of target area.Now,I'm on paper,but the shots are irractic.I can hit black,but can't make them group.It acts like the scope does't want to take the adjustments,either won't move the round or too much. The shots are everywhere. Most are low and to the left and heavily scattered.The componets are 90 gr Pyrodex RS,Lee REAL w/ felt wad.I know that it is not me,because I shot several other rifles,and all my shots were right on the money.I'm lost,brothers.

Taylor
11-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Earlier I had said that I had the Scout re-barreled.The orignal barrel was round.The new barrel is octagonal and is labeled Cody Scout.Is the twist rate different?Anyone familar with this.I can't find anything on the "net" about them.Also I think I failed to mention that it is a carbine.

idahoron
11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
I would start from scratch. Take the scope off and make sure the mounts are on solid. Then check the scope to see if it rattles or makes any sound when you shake it. Reinstall it and bore sight it.
With a clean gun shoot it once with a wad between the powder and bullet. Use a huge piece of cardboard and shoot close. Clean the gun and make the scope adjustment. At 25 yards I think a click it going to be 1/16 th of an inch. Shoot it again and see if it is taking the adjustment. It sounds like you have a bad scope. Ron

mooman76
11-12-2007, 08:10 PM
First off I'd drop your charge down to 50-60 g. You may be shooting to heavey for the twist you have or you may not have enough twist for the Lee REAL but my guess is you are shooting too heavy. After you get sighted in I would raise the charge up if you want it heavier. Befor this you should check your twist rate so we know what you are working with. Take and cleaning jag and a good tight patch. Insert it in your barrel and mark it with a vertical line and a horizonal line and on the barrel make a mark even with the vetical line. Mark it the same and even 24" up your cleaning rod. Push it down til it reaches the second mark. If you rod turns half way around it is a 1-48 twist. If it doesn't you can probubly figure it out from there! Also do what the Idahoan said!

Taylor
11-13-2007, 08:11 AM
My first thought was the scope,so I tried with iron sights,same results.What I intend to do next is to measure the bore and try a different round,TC maxi maybe,just to see what happens.I did notice that it was more friendly to round balls,they seem to shoot with more control.The rate of twist for the round barrel is 1-38,I'm going to call TC and check on any difference,if any.

Taylor
11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Bore- .509 , REAL- .511,looks like the boolit fits good. 9/16" wad?

idahoron
11-14-2007, 07:58 PM
You bullet and wad combo should be good. Try backing the powder off to 80 gr and working back up. Also What kind of lead are you using? Most people shoot pure lead. I have played around with different lead and my 45 likes bullets poured out of chilled lead shot. WARNING! these might be DANG hard to get down a barrel. WARNING! Do so at your own risk. They will be hard to get down.
I use them and have good luck but they are hard to get down, I can't repeat my self enough. I have a .458 bore and the bullets I am using are .455
Are you putting lube on the bullets? I started to have better luck with my cast bullets when I went to Ls'Stuff black powder lube. I am in no way in business with this man I just really like his lube. Ron
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

Nardoo
11-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Gee I had to laugh when you talked about you son-in-law.:-D
Now if only I could get my mother-in-law to have a shot of my .375H&H.

Nardoo