PDA

View Full Version : Dang 308 Pins keep busting....

AlaskanGuy
09-29-2013, 03:57 PM
I was just wondering if anybody else has trouble with pins breaking when de-primimg range brass like I do.... It doesn't matter what Brand Die I amusing, just seems like every time I go to get some brass ready for 308, I manage to bust or bend a pin ..... I don't have this trouble with ANY other caliber.. and I have checked my shell holders over and over .... but it is centering perfectly.... We do get a lot of rain here, and live right on the ocean.. I am thinking that it might be that the LC brass/primers may be rusting a bit more then any other ???? Any thoughts??? anybody else dealing with this??

Blessings

fishhawk
09-29-2013, 04:06 PM
First thing I would check to see is the brass boxer or berdan primed?

Harter66
09-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Yep,Berdan primed will break them every time . I do occasionaly break a decapping pin in rifle dies . I have also broken the ''unbreakable'' decapper in a Lee set ,oddly enough in 308. The GI brass is crimped in and can be rather hard to get out at times .

Also I've had a couple of dies that the decappers just didn't center in until I set the rod and locked it then ''adjusted it to center''. (fancy way to say bent it to center)

lancem
09-29-2013, 06:52 PM
My suggestion is if it isn't already, back the decapper out till it will just push out the primer, when I've done some I attempt to deprime and keep increasing the decapper depth a quarter turn until the the primer just pops. This has made a difference for me...

357maximum
09-29-2013, 08:21 PM
I have a shortened decapping pin made up/ground down especially for 308 and 30/06 military brass.....some of them crimped in primers can be a real s.o.b ......a berdan primer in the mix will foul up the works....be diligent.

wv109323
09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I had very similar problems with my .223 Remington die. My problem was the decapping pin stem lock nut would work loose and allow the pin to get off center. I would then bent or break a decapping pin. I found a lock nut from another brand die that was much taller (more threads) and larger in outside diameter. It held the decapping stem tight.
I was working about 2000 rounds of .223. After correcting I went through about 400 rounds with no problems.

Blammer
09-29-2013, 08:48 PM
I let my decapper pin "float", it helps some.

MT Gianni
09-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Crimped in primers can be tough. Try the Lee universal decapping die.

s mac
09-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I made my own decapping punch with a hard bolt, taking it to a bench grinder. Place the punch into the case, tap with a hammer. presto.Place the base of the case on top of a nut or some other suitable surface.

popper
09-30-2013, 12:00 PM
broke 2, it's the crimped primer in LC brass. I use the Lee universal now, and do it carefully.

gwpercle
09-30-2013, 01:05 PM
I've broken pins on Berdan primed and Military with crimped in primers. Learned the hard way to look at each case really well because the berdan and military crimped sneak into your brass when your not looking. Reloading Fairies also love to play tricks on you buy slipping them into your bag.
Cull out berdans. If military , just go slow , and buy a supply of extra pins. I like the decapping stems that can't slide back into the die...they may stop you from breaking a pin but they don't help pushing out a crimped in primer. I did 500 military 7.62 with a Lyman decapper die for a 30-06 , just went slow and didn't break any pins.
Gary

Moonie
10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I use a Lee decapper for all my brass prior to wet tumbling. Normally if there is an issue the pin will ride up and can be reset. I do keep spare decapping rods for it as sometimes normal doesn't happen and the pin will bend, straightening it breaks them every time.