PDA

View Full Version : Finally did it!

horsesoldier
09-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Yesterday I filled my second deer tag with my hand casted roundballs with my 58 muzzleloader.First true cast kill for me and a first for my 58. I have added a 286 grain roundball to the list of objects I do not want to get hit by!

I was shooting a .575 roundball with a .18 pillow tickling patch and 80 grains of 2f grafs black powder.I missed a gigantic buck earlier in the day, wish I would have connected with that one.It was pouring rain on us for most of the day and my rifle did great!I have a new found respect for black powder now.

It was a yearling so I didnt take pictures but other than that, it was a great day! Thanks to Idaho Mule for showing me a trick to cut my groups in half just in the nick of time for muzzle loader season!

Think next year I am going to be hunting with a paper patch slug of some kind, and hopefully not in a downpour!

Hanshi
09-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Congratulations!

digger44
09-29-2013, 03:37 PM
congrats

GARD72977
09-29-2013, 04:59 PM
I have never shot at a deer. I hope to get one the same way you did this year!

johnson1942
09-29-2013, 05:11 PM
.58 round ball has always got my attention. it had to knock it flat. thanks for shareing and some day i would like to built another round ball gun and it would be a .58.

Junior1942
09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Deer hunting in the rain is my secret weapon! Their senses are equal to mine, not far superior. They can't smell you, hear you or see you very well at all.

**oneshot**
09-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Hooked for life!!! Congrads!

Fly
09-29-2013, 07:47 PM
Now you need to make your own black powder & do the same (wink).

Fly

horsesoldier
09-30-2013, 02:10 AM
The ball is still in the hindquarter.It was bedded and facing me. I hit a bit farther to the right than I wanted too and made a huge mess. I will dig the ball out tommorow and see what it looks like.I had really thought it would go all the way through, even a yearling.

1Shirt
09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Good on ya! Killed my first two muzz loading deer with 58Cal RB.
1Shirt!

waksupi
09-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Seeing how the PRB worked, why go to a slug?

OverMax
09-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Think next year I am going to be hunting with a paper patch slug of some kind, and hopefully not in a downpour! I agree with waksupi.
Why? you seem to be doing pretty well with PRB in & out of rain. {Besides: I would give that projectile change some serious thought. "You may change your luck."} Seeing two in one day and taking one is in my book being lucky. I don't shoot a 58 although I have one. A T/C Big Bore. Just never found a reason to take it along hunting or have bothered to shoot it for that matter. Anyway. They say "He who stays in the woods the longest gets the deer." Hunting in the rain is a +1 in your column. As I've encountered a light drizzle seems to relax doe deer and lessens their spooky ness response. Bucks will roam about trying to take advantage of that behavior many times. And of course most fair weather hunters will be playing Pinnacle or sleeping under those conditions in the truck /cabin. Congrads on that tender bite Sir. You earned it.

horsesoldier
09-30-2013, 03:01 PM
I wanted to switch because loading the ball is a pain. Its a really tight fitting combo and the accuracy is marginal at best.

waksupi
09-30-2013, 04:18 PM
You have a year to find the right combination, and an accurate load!

horsesoldier
09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
After struggling with hangfires with triple7 and pryodex.There is no way I am using fake stuff again.When I fired in the down pours there was no hesitation whatsoever.You know its good when you cant here your cap go off, just one big bang and lots of smoke.

I have about 15 pounds of fat from my bear that I am going to render soon, and if I stay with PRB I am going to lube my own patches instead of using that bore butter pre-lubed patches.

OverMax
09-30-2013, 06:12 PM
To much patch in my opinion.__.10-.15 max-w/.575 ball should be thick enough. IMHO a .10 would be sufficient. If your into a bought'en patch lube and wanting one without that heavy wintergreen smell. There is a C/B's member here that sells a neutral smelling patch lube I us myself. His name or handle is (randyrat) He's is a Vendor Sponsor here on C/Bs. Their are others here that at one time or another have tried Randyrat Products. I'm sure they would voice their opinion if you were to ask them. I for one do not like Bore Butter. As I have my reasons not too. But if you do that's OK.

horsesoldier
09-30-2013, 06:34 PM
I am going to give that a try in the meantime. I am just so limited by the projectiles for the 58. I have a few I am going to try but definitly not the selection a 45 or 50 has

OverMax
10-01-2013, 02:14 PM
horsesoldier

50 cal is considered the most universal of all B/P calibers. Where as 45-54-are half brother & sister and your 58 cal is nothing less than a distance kissing cousin. 56-62-69-72 cal are red headed step children thought of. I shoot a 45 cal myself and find the same problem to be true. {not a whole lot of selection either.} I've tried these sabot boolit's (LINK) and found them to be very accurate and easy to reload under fouled barrel conditions. Both in my 45 & 54 Hawken. I see they sell a Extreme Elite boolit in 3-diferent weights for your 58-cal too. Give them folks a phone call see what they will do for you. Perhaps a couple samples sent for you to try before buying. Never hurts to ask.
http://www.prbullet.com/index.htm

siamese4570
10-01-2013, 04:45 PM
You might try a .570 ball and .015 patch. That works real well for me.
siamese4570

quilbilly
10-04-2013, 12:39 AM
010 patch worked very well in my former 58 Enfield. I have always thought those pre-lubed patches didn't have enough lube so the last time I had some, I just re-lubed them.

horsesoldier
10-04-2013, 12:45 AM
I have some .570 balls now, I just need to find a bunch of different patch sizes for the 58 which means ordering them.Local stores have nothing for the 58 lol