PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red

w5pv
09-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Just checking if any one has noticed this results from Ed's Red Bore cleaner.I was having pain from authoritis in my fingers and hand and noticed that after using Ed's Red for a while it has mostly went away.I was also having bad pain in my so I started using on my hip joint and I haven't had to take any pain killers now for a few days.I use the original recipe with the exception I add Marvel Mystery Oil to it.
If this is in the wrong forum delete it or move it

Outpost75
09-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Never tried it for arthritis, but it cures mange on dogs.

geargnasher
09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
My grandmother swore by WD-40 for arthritis pain relief, I thought for years it must have been the fish oil in it (vit. A and D aid absorption of calcium), now I'm pretty sure there isn't any fish oil in it, so who knows.

Ed's Red will cure leg mites on chickens and parakeets with a quick dip. Probably good for acne, too.

Gear

aspangler
09-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Jus try the Marvel's by itself. Works for me.

GOPHER SLAYER
09-29-2013, 02:05 PM
When I get pain in my hands or other joint I put horse liniment on it . Works great.The brand I have now is called, Horseman's Dream.

w5pv
09-29-2013, 02:19 PM
I was letting the Quacks keep me on the dope for the pain but this is much better and better pain relief.I will be trying aplander's just Marvel and Gopher Slayer Horseman's Dream.Thanks will let you know how things work out.I was a little worried about Acetone but the rest should be ok as long you don;t drink it or cook with it.

kb7tgr
10-03-2013, 12:10 AM
maybe my wife should try some of this for her arthritis.

gwpercle
10-03-2013, 01:25 PM
The discussions that go on around here never cease to amaze me. I just love this site!
You never know what you will learn.
Gary

OuchHot!
10-03-2013, 02:27 PM
One of my professional pursuits involves delivery of drugs across the skin. A common additive in "penetrating oil" (e.g. liquid wrench) is methyl salicylate. It is a compound that readily permeates the skin and is an aspirin like compound. You will also find it in sports ointments. There very well may be some of this in one of the components of Ed's Red.

Dale in Louisiana
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
The acetone in ER acts as a cooling agent and an anesthetic and the petroleum oils and lanolin soothe the skin.

I grew up with a generation of home remedies wherein the principle ingredient was 'coal oil', AKA kerosene.

dale in Louisiana

Wingnutt
10-03-2013, 05:36 PM
The discussions that go on around here never cease to amaze me. I just love this site!
You never know what you will learn.
Gary

You guys are crazy. I'm not a doctor but I know daily absortion of petrolium distilates in the skin will also be absorbed into the liver and pancreas and may cause damage over time. You'd be better off with either applying cold packs or hot packs or alternate both. I prefer a shower as hot as I can stand for relief from joint pain.....

shredder
10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I would recommend you not put Ed's Red on yourself, on purpose, ever. You will abosorb neurotoxins from the acetone through your skin as you have found. Unfortunately the pain relief is because you are killing off nerve tissue.

shredder
10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
You guys are crazy. I'm not a doctor but I know daily absortion of petrolium distilates in the skin will also be absorbed into the liver and pancreas and may cause damage over time. You'd be better off with either applying cold packs or hot packs or alternate both. I prefer a shower as hot as I can stand for relief from joint pain.....

This is also correct.

starmac
10-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't know about ed's red, but some of them old timers that used wd 40 or coal oil or even diesel in a pinch, sure lasted a long time. We even used coal on bad cuts at times, when we didn't have time to go get stitches.

Dale in Louisiana
10-04-2013, 02:42 PM
And what do you think milady uses to get the old polish off her nails?

dale in Louisiana
(short chain hydrocarbons, long chain hydrocarbons, chlorinated solvents, halogenated sulfurs, I've done a lot. Still here.)

GaryN
10-04-2013, 04:23 PM
When I get pain in my hands or other joint I put horse liniment on it . Works great.The brand I have now is called, Horseman's Dream.

This is probably a concoction with DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) in it. It works for a lot of people even though the label says not for human use. It has been tested by various drug companies. They were testing it as a carrier for other medicine. It permeates the skin easily. It was on trials by the FDA for a patent back in the sixties but the company that wanted the patent ran out of money. (This happened when they were trying to patent thalidomide and the FDA got funny about passing anything.) So now it is not for human use. One good thing, a pint only costs about four dollars. It warms the skin but can leave a fishy taste in your mouth. Some other things about DMSO: if you bring it to a boil it adds a molecule of oxygen to the chemical and is known as MSM (you have probably heard of this), it freezes at about 65 degrees. So if you go to buy it in the winter in a feed store and the store is kinda cold, the bottle might feel hard. Just warm it a little and it liquifies.

Blacksmith
10-04-2013, 04:25 PM

I also use horse liniment but use either Absorbine Horse liniment, comes in both liquid or gel, and the other is Sore No More. I get them at either Tractor Supply or the feed store, wherever horse stuff is sold. Works on million dollar race horses ought to be good enough for me. It works.

GaryN
10-04-2013, 04:26 PM
One other thing when using DMSO, don't spill it on your leather couch, it takes the stain and finish right off. Ask me how I know.