PDA

View Full Version : MArlin 45-70, 500 gr GC Boolit and Lee Sizer

MT Marlin Shooter
09-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Long time Lurker and first post (at least on a long time) Have the Lee 457-500-f mold, it's a GC. Bought it for Griz loads as I live in MT and we have a bunch of them, but didn;t understand what I was getting in to with a GC mold at the time (Freakin Newbie!!). Not for hunting but for getting back from hunting, if needed.

I have been viewing various ways to seat them without investing close to $300 for a Lubrisizer (11 kids and no $$!) There are some great tips from other members for getting them on, but I am worried about crimping them with a sizer. The concern I have is that my barrel slugs .458 and the Lee sizer only comes in .457. Most all the posts indicate I want a bullet sized something like .001 over the barrel size for best results. I know other manufacturers make over-sized sizers, but we are back to cost again.

Any thoughts or reassurances?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

aspangler
09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Buy the Lee and CAREFULLY lap it out with fine valve grinding compound. That should work ok. That's what I did and it works great. JMHO

MT Chambers
09-28-2013, 10:12 PM
There's folks that will make you a .459" Lee sizer, or watch for a used Lyman or RCBS at gun shows, proper sizers are easier to find.

Sagebrush7
09-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Long time Lurker and first post (at least on a long time) Have the Lee 457-500-f mold, it's a GC. Bought it for Griz loads as I live in MT and we have a bunch of them, but didn;t understand what I was getting in to with a GC mold at the time (Freakin Newbie!!). Not for hunting but for getting back from hunting, if needed.

I have been viewing various ways to seat them without investing close to $300 for a Lubrisizer (11 kids and no $$!) There are some great tips from other members for getting them on, but I am worried about crimping them with a sizer. The concern I have is that my barrel slugs .458 and the Lee sizer only comes in .457. Most all the posts indicate I want a bullet sized something like .001 over the barrel size for best results. I know other manufacturers make over-sized sizers, but we are back to cost again.

Any thoughts or reassurances?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Take a straight wooden doll 3/8" diameter by six inches long and wrap medium emery cloth around it to you reach the bore size of the 457 Lee sizing die. Make sure it is even thickness around the dowl and fits snug. The finish wrap edge should be reverse from the way you are going to spin it in the drill. Tape the end of the paper to the dowl. The other end will be held by the drill chuck.Put a thin coat of oil on the paper. Spin the paper and rotate the die. Check often by slugging with a soft lead slug. Finish up withl some 400 0r 600 grit paper to make it smooth. It takes two to three minutes to take off .002 material. I shoot my 500 grain Lee about 1200 fps.I believe it will kill any beast on earth!

mpmarty
09-29-2013, 12:12 AM
I shoot mine without a gascheck. No problems.

44man
09-29-2013, 08:29 AM
Take a straight wooden doll 3/8" diameter by six inches long and wrap medium emery cloth around it to you reach the bore size of the 457 Lee sizing die. Make sure it is even thickness around the dowl and fits snug. The finish wrap edge should be reverse from the way you are going to spin it in the drill. Tape the end of the paper to the dowl. The other end will be held by the drill chuck.Put a thin coat of oil on the paper. Spin the paper and rotate the die. Check often by slugging with a soft lead slug. Finish up withl some 400 0r 600 grit paper to make it smooth. It takes two to three minutes to take off .002 material. I shoot my 500 grain Lee about 1200 fps.I believe it will kill any beast on earth!
This is the way, very, very easy. Then put the check on, lube the grooves by hand if you have to and run the boolit through upside down.

MT Marlin Shooter
10-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm pretty handy in the shop, maybe I'll try honing it and keep an eye out for one to buy that is the right size. What about using an automotive cylinder hone?

Thanks again, Greg

MT Gianni
10-08-2013, 11:52 PM
I work out of Butte, covering Dillon to Lewistown, Red Lodge to Drummond along with a few weeks in Msla and on the Hi-line every year. If you need 100 gc in 45 let me know by PM.

Ricochet
06-19-2014, 09:38 PM
This is an old thread I know, but an easy way to seat gas checks without sizing the boolit is to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Push the check onto the base of the boolit, hold the check just in the jaws of the collet at the top of the die, and actuate the crimper. Start loose and adjust it till you get the check to the size you want. It's often convenient to use a crimper for the caliber below the bullet you're using. A 7mm case neck is about the same as a .30 caliber bullet, for instance. A .30 caliber case neck is similar in diameter to an 8mm or .338 bullet. A .44 crimper works well for .45 bullets. But the crimpers for the caliber you're using will work also. They just have to be tightened down a bit more.

dubber123
06-20-2014, 04:53 PM
This is an old thread I know, but an easy way to seat gas checks without sizing the boolit is to use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Push the check onto the base of the boolit, hold the check just in the jaws of the collet at the top of the die, and actuate the crimper. Start loose and adjust it till you get the check to the size you want. It's often convenient to use a crimper for the caliber below the bullet you're using. A 7mm case neck is about the same as a .30 caliber bullet, for instance. A .30 caliber case neck is similar in diameter to an 8mm or .338 bullet. A .44 crimper works well for .45 bullets. But the crimpers for the caliber you're using will work also. They just have to be tightened down a bit more.

Ricochet! is it me or have you been MIA for a while? Good to see you back.

Nueces
06-20-2014, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I was off line for a few years myself and missed Ricochet when getting back here. Good to hear from ya, Dude!