PDA

View Full Version : Company in Kalispell~!

waksupi
09-27-2013, 11:08 PM
http://www.kpax.com/videoplayer/?video_id=38630&categories=180%2C249

Well, we had a wolf in town, and a mountain lion. It was the bear's turn!

429421Cowboy
09-28-2013, 02:24 AM
Crazy! I saw a chocolate sow and cub today on my way through Wolf Creek, they must be on the move now that the berries are starting to dry up. Had a griz in the campground at Hylite canyon where I have been going a lot lately, and another a few miles from our summer pasture behind Square Butte at home this week, they are starting to come lower and lower lately!

starmac
09-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Bears chasing bears. Did I understand right that they had already chased it out once, and it came back? If so I guess they will take care of it once it hurts someone.

We had one come in camp at the family reunion, where probably a hundred camps were set up. I wasn't there, but they ran it off a couple of times, it finally got to where it wouldn't even flinch when they shot the ground in front of it.

waksupi
09-28-2013, 01:16 PM
It's pretty common to have bears in the towns this time of year. A few years ago, a sow grizzly and two cubs had possession of Main Street in St. Ignatius for two or three days.
There was also a warning in Missoula the past couple of days about a lion prowling around in town, and for people to keep track of their kids.

mikeym1a
09-28-2013, 03:40 PM
I imagine that this time of year, food is starting to get scarce in the high country, and they are coming down to get what they can before winter. I've noticed a lot of animals coming out into the open to eat when they would normally stay under cover around here. Most of the easy stuff is gone,and they have to work harder to put on winter fat.

mroliver77
09-28-2013, 04:42 PM
We used to shoot unwanted dogs and cats in the rump with a low powered BB gun. It would sting like the dickens and they usually learned the first time. Is there something that can be done for bear and big cats without having to kill them? Tazer?" Mace? Pepper spray?

starmac
09-28-2013, 04:46 PM
IIRC someone tazered a moose up here a couple years ago. It didn't have the desired effect, and is against the law. I'm not sure if it was against the law before or if it is a new law.

waksupi
09-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Most of the critters get hazed out of town, or captured and moved. Very seldom do they get killed.

MT Gianni
09-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Fruit trees are still ripe and that draws bear like few other things. Young Mt. Lions come to town when they get kicked out so momma can breed for next year. Chained up pets are easy pickens.

starmac
09-29-2013, 10:35 PM
One went to a bar with customers this week or last in Juneau. lol I think it is kind of unusual for them to enter busy businesses.