PDA

View Full Version : Offset Round Balls WTH WITH PICTURES

pearcetopher
09-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone, I recently purchased an 1851 navy in .44.
I then purchased a .451 two cavity lee mold
I then obtained pure lead for casting

After spending an hour casting 100 round balls I was shocked to see that the balls look like two offset balls joined at the center. It seriously appears to me that the mold blocks ball location was cut out at different heights. I think on one mold block the cut out is at a different height than on the other mold block. There is a big difference in size too, the ball is .451 at the thick part and .439 at the small part. I have attached several photos to gather an opinion. Yes I lubed and cleaned everything prior to casting.

Also I know a 44 round ball is not supposed to be very accurate to begin with so will I even see any difference in accuracy if the two ball halves are not lining up?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

s mac
09-27-2013, 08:54 PM
I think you need to send that mold back to Lee.

lwknight
09-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Send it back. Thats crappy business to let something like that out for sale.

longbow
09-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Not sure why you would say that a .44 round ball isn't supposed to be accurate. Why not?

Any decently cast ball that fits the bore well should be plenty accurate.

Now the balls from that mould won't be accurate but a decently cast ball will be.

Yes, send it back. If it is out of round more than a couple thou it is bad quality work. What you have there is junk and should never have made it through quality control... assuming there was any.

On the upside, Lee is supposed to have good customer service so they will probably replace it no questions asked.

Longbow

williamwaco
09-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Are you sure the mold blocks are completely and accurately closed?

The Lee two cavity molds are notorious for not closing completely.

There should be no gap between the blocks and the blocks should align exactly with no offset.

pearcetopher
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
I love you guys

Yes there was no lead between the blocks they closed perfectly. I'm in a pickle now as they were bought from Titan reloading and I'll bet I'll have to pay for return shipping which will be 20 bucks-exactly what I paid for the mold

bedbugbilly
09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Looks like the mold isn't right uf you're sure everything is tight when you pour.

In regards to the .44 . . . I have shot BP revolvers for years and they are plenty accurate. I wouldn't even attempt to use that ball you are showing. You need a "round" ball so that when you seat it in the chamber, you are shearing off a ring of lead completely around the ball. If not and there are any gaps between the ball and chamber, you are inviting a chain fire . . . which, believe me, you don't want.

I don't know your location, but if you are in the continental U.S. . . it isn't going to cost you $20 to return it.

pearcetopher
09-27-2013, 10:59 PM
I live in china

Bzcraig
09-27-2013, 11:38 PM
I love you guys

Yes there was no lead between the blocks they closed perfectly. I'm in a pickle now as they were bought from Titan reloading and I'll bet I'll have to pay for return shipping which will be 20 bucks-exactly what I paid for the mold

Contact Dennis at a Titan, he is good people. I had an issue with a decapping die and he had me take a picture, send it to Lee and Lee sent me a new one without having to return anything.

leadman
09-28-2013, 01:51 AM
Or call Andy Lee, 262-673-3075.

Elkins45
09-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I live in china

My impression of Lee is that they are a stand-up company. I think if you tell Lee the details of your situation they would probably send you a replacement at no cost.

I recall reading somewhere that Lee no longer lathe bores their blocks, but instead mills the two halves of the cavity separately. Your pictures make me think they might have accidentally combined block halves that were milled to different sizes.

SniderBoomer
09-28-2013, 09:53 AM
44RB can be accurate in the right guns. I use a Lee 457" RB.

In my Uberti 44 Walker, I use a 457 RB lubed in Lee Liquid Alox - and allowed a few days to dry, then I tumble coat the balls in Mica powder.

Never had a trace of hard fouling of any sort, and resting gently on a sandbag, that big heavy revolver will get an inch and 1/2 at 25 yard if my eyes are working. If I made the sights better it would do better, but WTH, a Walker is for enjoyment with a capital-E

50 grains of FFg is the accurate spot for my Walker. I use 60 grains now and again, a little less accurate, but the effect on visiting range-noobs who want a go is awesome. They buy a range subscription there and then...

Sorry, I got diverted talking about my baby...

All companies make small mistakes, I had a Puller from one of the big Reloading companies that was plastic-moulded wrong and had to be returned. It happens, what matters is the customer service to make good. As for Lee, I love this company, the customer support I have had is second to none. I lost count the number of free spares they sent me over the years, and I am 3000+ miles away.

Great company, allows shooters on meager pensions to still shoot in these crazy greedy days, where bankers have made prices of everything almost out of the reach of the working man and gal.

colt 357
09-28-2013, 12:52 PM
send it back to lee friend of mine had to he got one that was missed aligned.

waksupi
09-28-2013, 12:56 PM
I can't clearly see the sprue cut in your photos, but the only time I have had balls like that from a Lee, was from improper lubrication.

williamwaco
09-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Try them!

They replaced a broken mold for me and told me don't return the old one, they would just toss it.

pearcetopher
10-19-2013, 04:20 PM
andy lee informed me today of the bad mold and he is sending a replacement

leadman
10-19-2013, 04:35 PM
When you get the new mold make sure you align the halves by hand or on a flat piece of material. On the older style the lack of lube on the alignment grooves would cause all sorts of problems. The new style with alignment pins has alot of slop in the mounting to the handles so it also has to be aligned by hand or on a flat surface. The pins need lube also.

Old Scribe
10-19-2013, 06:16 PM
I have noted that companies like Lee have been around for a long time because they have a decent product and good customer service.

Win94ae
10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Not sure why you would say that a .44 round ball isn't supposed to be accurate. Why not?

I was about to ask the same; my 44 shoots round balls very accurately.

OnHoPr
10-21-2013, 04:47 AM
I see three possible ailments. (a) you don't have the mold lubed in the v blocks and pins (b) you're cutting the sprue with the wood striker off angle pressure instead a straight linear sharp whack (c) (most likely) with the V block system your not opening the mold after casting and cutting the sprue correctly especially if you're trying to gain speed while the ball is still hot. Flip the mold after cutting the sprue and open the mold evenly apart carefully without any type of canting or twisting and your balls should come out just fine. You might be able to test this theory if you know you have the mold completely closed and preheated, then cast one and let it cool. When cooled open the mold carefully and see if you have a ball that looks good with minimal half mold line.

pearcetopher
11-13-2013, 01:20 AM
as an update, Lee inspected the mold and found it to be defective so they sent me another mold after I paid 18 dollars canadian to have it shipped back. Now I am into this mold for 50 dollars as they cannot be found in canada and have to be ordered from the states.

I heated the mold and then lubed it and started dropping round balls

After the first 30 I inspected the balls and guess what, they are still offset. Not as bad this time but there is still a good .003" lip on the center of the ball, maybe its my bad luck or maybe everyones molds drop balls with lips, who knows.

I inspected both mold block and yet again the round ball cut out is at different heights on the two blocks. Not sure what to do now as I know andy will want me to send it back but I am honestly not paying another 18 for shipping. At cabelas I can order .451 round balls 100 for 12 dollars. I feel so screwed over, what would you guys do?

Swede44mag
11-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Cut your losses and toss it in the trash. I would consider a steel mold from RCBS, Lyman or one of the forum Vendors.
Good luck I am too cheap to buy already cast round balls I would rather spend good money on one good mold.