PDA

View Full Version : Need 44 mag help.

Hawkeye45
09-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Good news and a question. I just traded a S&W 29-2 (1970's) and $50 for a new Henry 44Mag. So I would like to know what mold people use in their Henry so I don't have to buy a lot of different molds for plinking and med velocity rounds. I don't know all of the mold numbers, so if you have a recommendation please include maker and weight. It would be greatly appreciated. I have the lee 240gr and 214gr SWC.
Thanks

Mr. Ed

45-70 Chevroner
09-27-2013, 05:31 AM
I have both of the Lee molds you have and they work ok. I also have two Lyman molds one a 210gr. Semi Wad Cutter GC mold and a 240gr SWC Plain Base mold. I think the Lyman 240gr PB is my favorite, this is an old mold, probably 40 plus years. Some of the newer ones by Lyman are not as good according to some posts I have read on this web site. My Lyman 240 PB actually drops at about 245 gr. with my WW and tin mix. Trial and error can get expensive. I would do some extensive testing with the ones you have before ruling them out. Lee molds are know for being under size and that can be fixed by lapping the mold.

Tatume
09-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Lee molds are known for being under size and that can be fixed by lapping the mold.

My experience (and I own many Lee molds) is exactly the opposite. Lee molds are oversized by about 0.001 - 0.002". For example, my Lee six-cavity mold for the 44 Rem Mag drops bullets at 0.433", and I size them 0.432". Perfect.

45-70 Chevroner
09-28-2013, 09:08 AM
The difference in diameter can be effected by different alloys. I have I think with out going and counting 25 lee molds.

TMenezes
09-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Try the molds you have before getting more. For me though I really like the Lee 200gr RNFP for my 44mag and 44special plinking bullet. Its plain base which is good for my low to mid velocity range loads. I have tried a few hard hitting loads with the Lee 310 but haven't shot many of those. I've found the RNFP is the best bet in lever guns. SWC's are great in revolvers but sometimes have issues feeding reliably in lever actions.

I was hoping my 45 Colt Uberti Yellowboy would feed SWC's but nope, doesn't like them at all. Even when I can get them to feed they don't shoot accurately in my particular rifle.

One thing I have noticed is if your lead temp is not consistant then your bullet sizes will vary. So I bought pot thermomater and found casting at 700 to 725 makes very good consistant bullets from all 20 or so of my Lee molds. I have heard of other peoples Lee molds casting a bit large or a bit small, fortunately my particular lead mix at that casting temp is so close to the size its supposed to be that I gave up on sizing them.

If you want to go traditional and your rifle likes swc's then you could try the Keith 429421 SWC. Night Owl Enterprises had a few left last I checked. Mine casts oversize so I do size them to .430

AABEN
09-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Shoot what you have and see how it does with what you have. You can load them a little hotter. My reloads books has loads for the 44Mag rifles.