PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Item for sale Value

missionary5155
09-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Good morning
Ever notice how the general value comparison of an item for sale is generally compared to the highest priced retail outfit.
So I did a few searches... generally it was easy to find the same item for general sale at other "Sponsors" listed here at Castboolits for less price than the one (think Halfway) that is so often quoted. My last search involved Lead Pots.. "W" was the least expensive and shipping was very comparable. Other Sponsers (bless them) were with in a dollar or two. But no where near the "high priced spread" so often quoted.
So sellers.. realise some of us do not care what your item retailed for at the epitamy of the price scale. I have yet to buy anything from those expensive places and any item compared to their "every day price" encourages me to move along.
Mike in Peru (where haggling is the way of life)

Love Life
09-26-2013, 11:22 AM
My favorite is when you list a multi thousand dollar item, and somebody wants to trade you an $800 AR straight across because they got hosed during the panic.

41 mag fan
09-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Thats whats nice about the net..instant price comparisons.

Some people/ vendors are definitely proud of what they have to sell

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Good morning
Ever notice how the general value comparison of an item for sale is generally compared to the highest priced retail outfit.
So I did a few searches... generally it was easy to find the same item for general sale at other "Sponsors" listed here at Castboolits for less price than the one (think Halfway) that is so often quoted. My last search involved Lead Pots.. "W" was the least expensive and shipping was very comparable. Other Sponsers (bless them) were with in a dollar or two. But no where near the "high priced spread" so often quoted.
So sellers.. realise some of us do not care what your item retailed for at the epitamy of the price scale. I have yet to buy anything from those expensive places and any item compared to their "every day price" encourages me to move along.
Mike in Peru (where haggling is the way of life)

If I'm reading you right ?
I may be one of those fellows ?
When I list a item that is still currently being manufactured, and the item I am offering is in excellent condition and for all functional purposes is like new. I almost always quote a "Midway" link. I wouldn't call them 'retail', but from my searching they seem to be the highest priced 'major' mail order sporting goods supplier. Midway is very popular and used by many and includes good photo's and descriptions, so for comparison purposes they are excellent. If my price for a used item exceeds a 'new' price from another supplier, Please call me on it. And, I am all for haggling, just not in the first few hours of posting.
Jon

imashooter2
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
As a seller, you try to get the best price you can. If you compare your item to the highest price supplier you can find, there is nothing dishonest in that.

As a buyer, you try to get the best price you can. If you find the lowest price supplier and point it out to the seller when making a counter offer, there is nothing dishonest in that.

I don't understand the issue.

starmac
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
LOL I do not even haggle with a new car dealer when they start out too high. lol

Love Life
09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
LOL I do not even haggle with a new car dealer when they start out too high. lol

I shoot them a ridiculous lowball. I love the look on their faces!

novalty
09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Well I don't post what retail is by items I sell, but I know what they are and I expect that buyers would know as well.

I'm also not a fan of sellers who feel the need to tell you what the "same item" sold for on XZY auction. This also applies to buyers as well, really not a fan of people who lowball and then tell you they can buy cheaper elsewhere. If you can buy cheaper elsewhere, then why bother the seller.

Everyone obviously wants to get the most they can for items they are selling, and I believe in posting something for what I consider is a fair price, and what would be considering a savings from buying retail. The usual Supply & Demand still applies, and prices that are too high for the perspective market will either not sell, or will be reduced in price.

brtelec
09-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Being a member of a number of forums I know what you are referring to in regards to over-optimistic pricing by some of the sellers, but I do not see them having too much trouble getting what they want or close to it. I just do not understand what your problem is with it. If it is priced too high, don't buy it. I am sometimes stunned by the prices some folks will pay for other peoples used stuff. Hey, this is capitalism at it's best. This is the reason that I do my research online to find the best prices and I buy more new stuff than I used to. If it is not available new, then I have to decide whether to wait or pay the price for used. Usually I wait, there is not much out there that I need that badly.

Epd230
09-26-2013, 02:12 PM
You appear to be an informed buyer. Not every one is.

Check out half.com and you will see normal books priced, used around $1-2. The retail for the book may be $5-6. Someone will have on listed at $70-120. Why? I personally, have no clue, but think that since it is routine in all of the titles that I have looked at, someone out there will buy it.

I know that is a logic leap, but if it didn't work, they wouldn't spend the time to list them on the site.

Keep doing your research and remember, if someone gets offended by a counter offer, you don't need to do business with them anyway.

Bad Water Bill
09-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Some folks have lots of money.

About 2 years ago there was a lyman mould on evil bay starting bid IIRC .99.

The second bidder entered his ONLY bid and when the dust settled he won the mould for OVER $5,000.00

I wonder just what his bank account looks like?

Some folks just want it and money be ----.

Most of us here shop around for the best BANG:bigsmyl2: for our hard earned dollar.

KYShooter73
09-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Im not a retailer, but when I sell something, my pet peeve is someone who asks "Whats the lowest you will take?" If you answer that you are locked in at that price with other buyers. I always tell them they can make an offer or take it for the amount I have listed.

historicfirearms
09-26-2013, 02:55 PM
I just stopped at the cabelas outpost in Grand Rapids and for the heck of it I took in a revolver that I have thinking of selling. The gun library manager appraised it at about 1/3 of what I've seen exact same guns selling for on gunbroker. Looking around the used gun racks, he had everything over priced too.
I think there are some people that are uninformed that would do business with him, but I'm not one of them. Get all the info you can if you don't want to get taken advantage of, be you buyer or seller. God bless the Internet for gathering info, I can only imagine what the gun trade must have been like befor Mr. Gore invented it.

Bad Water Bill
09-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Cabelas in Hammond In. operates the same way. A friend took in a shotgun AFTER having it valued at his LGS.

After waiting 1/2 hour for the "expert" to go over the gun with his glass and play with his puter some more he offered 1/3 less than the LGS. Yes we walked out still carrying the shotgun.

He did try to stop us by raising his offer by $100.00. No sale.:twisted:

brtelec
09-26-2013, 03:41 PM
Way back when, I sold guns and the unwritten industry standard in my area was .40 cents on the dollar of retail for used guns. $600- retail, we offered $240-.

novalty
09-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Way back when, I sold guns and the unwritten industry standard in my area was .40 cents on the dollar of retail for used guns. $600- retail, we offered $240-.

That is the same experience I have found with LGS.

onceabull
09-26-2013, 05:29 PM
And now you have a picture of why any # of storefront dealers would love to see GunShows go away...I'll cite just one of many experiences here, Local Cabelas offers me $1200 for a rifle identical to two in the "Gun Library" listings from two of their other locations,( Priced at $4500 and $4000)When I point that out to manager here,he says "show me" SO I did,,doesn't matter ,his offer stands..(& He is NO longer there ,for good reason,I think) No telling what they finally settled for on theirs, but I sold mine 2 weeks later on first listing & G.B. for $2150.. Without Internet sales and gunshows,we go back to the 1960's... Onceabull [smilie=l:

dbosman
09-26-2013, 06:20 PM

I once wrote a check for what should have been the right price and wrote on it "Good for the next ten minutes". The salesman took all of those minutes to talk to the sales manager and was surprised when tore up the check and walked out.

mroliver77
09-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I agree with onceabulls thinking but I believe that the internet kinda hurt gun shows. Before the net was real popular I found decent deals at the shows. Now everybody looks at Gunbroker or wherever and has a top price for most everything.
I used to buy most all my reloading supplies and casting stuff at shows. Now everything is top dollar! There are guys that have been carrying the same guns around for years with huge price tags on them!

Bad Water Bill
09-26-2013, 07:19 PM
At one show I saw a dealer so stupid or lazy he still had a Cabela price tag of $16.99 for a brick of 550 rounds of 22LR.

His price was $39.99.

He also had a BIG sign saying "This ain't 1935 get your head out of your a$$ and pay the price or get out of my face"

This was over 2 years ago with Cabelas just a few miles down the road and their sale was still running.

Would you EVER buy anything from him?

mroliver77
09-26-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't even go to shows anymore. It is just not worth it. One of the last I went to I ran into a buddy and he asked a question. I stopped to answer him. It was crowded and I guess we blocked traffic. A fellow body slams me hard enough to that I moved a few feet and I am a big boy! It took a second to figure out what had happened. Then a couple guys pointed to the offender. I asked what his problem was. He yelled that I was blocking the flow of bodies. I offered to take him out of the crowd and have a talk. He would not go for it. I called him a "sissy" and he would not go for it. It was ten minutes before I remembered how bad I feel and how much pain I am in!! lol Adrenaline is a great drug!!

My mentor tells me I will NEVER urn into Mr Rodgers.;)
J

starmac
09-26-2013, 08:30 PM
I don't think the internet has done us many favors as far as gun sales goes, and I don't really pay any attention to what gun shops and especially what folks ask on gunbroker for used guns. I guess if a guy just has to have a certain gun and caliber it would make a difference, but I only buy when a deal comes up.

onceabull
09-26-2013, 08:43 PM
The gun sellers I've done the most bizness with on the 'net are those who start their auctions @ $ 0.1 and have no reserve...with some experience you can usually pick out right quickly which of those have some shills lined up for "insurance"purposes, but ,what the hey, that's an ancient auction tradition in and of itself. In this area ,if there is EVER a professionally run auction without shills ,THAT will be NEWS...Onceabull

starmac
09-26-2013, 08:48 PM
LOL I knew an equipment dealer that was caught using a little insurance at a richey bros auction, he was banned for life.