PDA

View Full Version : German Engineering on American Guns

schraubermani
09-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Hello,

i just wanted to Show you my brand new toy.
It is a 629 Poly PPC 1500 from "Club 30" .44 Rem. Mag.
Club 30 is a bunch of German Lathesmiths who were taught and are authorized by S&W to tune their Guns in Germany.
The 629 has a new 6' Polygon Barrel, a superb Trigger, Special wooden grips, Timing has been over-worked and so on....................
It is comparable to your S&W Performance Center guns in USA, i think.
The weight is exactly 1550 grams, this is very important in Germany, because our regularies for sports shooters ask for max. weights of weapons in the regularies.

Just take a look at the Pictures.

Best regards,

http://up.picr.de/15966421uq.jpg

http://up.picr.de/15966422ue.jpg

http://up.picr.de/15966423wl.jpg

http://up.picr.de/15966425mq.jpg

http://up.picr.de/15966427gk.jpg

http://up.picr.de/15966429uw.jpg

http://up.picr.de/15966431sq.jpg

GP100man
09-26-2013, 06:17 AM
While the machine work is impressive I`d like to have seen a better shaped barrel to frame , but looks Fantastic !!

Ya gonna make a BBQ gun or shoot it ??? Bet people stop & ask alot of questios !!

But then again if it shoots where I point it looks takes hind fiddle .

I`m taking the holes are for weight reduction ??

Also , looks as some kinda tube (sub caliber) is in the barrel ,or is that the barrel ???

The additional crane locks ,are they released with the cyl or just detent type ???, & does the ejector rod still play a part in cyl. retention ???

The more I look at the pics the more questions I have !!

Very nice !!

Front sight looks to be interchangeable ???

COST ?????????????????

dondiego
09-26-2013, 06:17 AM
That is very interesting! How does it shoot?

schraubermani
09-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Hello,

it is the Barrel what you see.
And yes, i will shoot it a lot with casted bullets.
The holes are for weight reduction, the "Frame" around the Barrel provides the gun from kicking too much, this is important, because we have Sport regularies where we shoot 5 shots in 10 sec. f.e. Distance is 25 meters.
The ejector rod does not Play a part anymore, the crane is just locked with the two Little steelballs. But it locks very accurate, belive me.
The Trigger is a dream, we have to have min 1 Kilo force till the Trigger Releases. But it feels much less with the tuned Trigger.
If you buy a Basic 629 in Germany it costs 12-1400 Euros, if you buy the "Club 30 629" it costs about 2250 Euros new.
Do not laugh, that are the Prices for guns in Germany, i know they are a lot cheaper in America.
Ahhhh. i do not know yet how it shoots, i will give it a try tomorrow evening.

Best regards

MtGun44
09-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Looks nice, but I'm trying to figure out what the small rod is that is seen, apparently
on bore centerline, through the holes in the barrel (shroud?) or ports?

Bill

schraubermani
09-26-2013, 03:12 PM
The small rod you are talking about is the Barrel, it just looks so small on the photo.
In real it is bigger than the drilled holes.

jonp
09-26-2013, 04:00 PM
That is one of the coolest barrels I have seen in a long time. I might shave the back down to smooth into the frame but I would sure not turn that gun down. The proof is in how it shoots. Make sure you let us know.

Mk42gunner
09-26-2013, 04:30 PM
I like the grips, they look like they would work very well for me.

I do not like the looks of the barrel shroud; but you can't see it while shooting, and as long as you like it, that is okay.

Robert

Awsar
09-26-2013, 10:41 PM
looks good let us know how it shoots

Cherokee
09-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Very unusual. Sounds like you have some gunsmiths that really know how to work on them. Get out there and enjoy it !!

GP100man
09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Lookin forward to a range report & more pics !!!

MtGun44
09-26-2013, 11:25 PM
That is an amazing optical illusion! Nice looking pistol. Sorry that they are
so expensive over there, but it is good that it is possible to enjoy these
guns.

Bill

Scharfschuetze
09-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Ausgezeichnet Herr Schraubermani!

I see that the revolver is now without the front locking plunger, but instead uses two ball bearings and indents in the crane and frame. My best PPC match revolver was set up that way.

Can you use the revolver for boar hunting there in Bavaria?

Aunegl
09-27-2013, 12:15 AM
nice...

schraubermani
09-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Hello,

thanks a lot for your comments.
In a few hours i'll be to the range and test it for the first time.
I will report.
In Germany we do not hunt with pistols or revolvers, only rifles and shotguns.

Scharfschuetze
09-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Well, that answers that. I was going to ask if you hunted any of your radioactive (Chernobyl fallout in the boars' food chain) Bavarian boars with pistols.

schraubermani
09-27-2013, 05:28 PM
So, i've been to the range this evening.
The gun shoots great, i tried it with 320 and 240grs. lead bullets.
The 320 had a GC, the 240 had not.
I think the 240 lead my Barrel quite a lot, but it was easy to clean from the lead because it has a polygon Profile.
But i think i have to use harder lead when Shooting bullets without GC.
The gun is quite precise, but i have to figure out the best powder/bullet combination.
Tonight i just shot for fun and adjusted the vise.

Best regards

jonp
09-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Good Deal! When you get the best combo powder/boolits please post some of the targets and let us know the combo that works best for you.

jgt
09-27-2013, 08:40 PM
Sorry, but I think that is one of the ugliest things I have seen created since Smith came out with it's first custom shop gun. I see they still have not learned to execute any better and now teach their poor execution to others. I hope for the owners sake it shoots better than it looks, if so he at least has that as consolation. I fear not though, as the only thing the custom shop does worse than design is build a gun that also shoots. And to think I lived and breathed Smith & Wessons when they were real.

mikeym1a
09-27-2013, 10:14 PM
It was unusual looking, but, I found it attractive. It is certainly distinctive. I liked the look of the projectiles in the cartridges in the photo. Pretty gun! Nice work!!

bruce381
09-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Sorry, but I think that is one of the ugliest things I have seen created since Smith came out with it's first custom shop gun. I see they still have not learned to execute any better and now teach their poor execution to others. I hope for the owners sake it shoots better than it looks, if so he at least has that as consolation. I fear not though, as the only thing the custom shop does worse than design is build a gun that also shoots. And to think I lived and breathed Smith & Wessons when they were real.

Sorry +1 for me too

gunrunner8
09-28-2013, 01:50 AM

I agree....Ugly it is and then some!

Tatume
09-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Sorry, but I think that is one of the ugliest things I have seen created ...

Sorry, but I think that is one of the ugliest comments I have heard expressed on this forum.

gmsharps
09-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think some of you folks need to mature a bit. I bet some of the things you like that there are a lot of folks would criticize you on but hold their tongues. If you cannot say something positive just don't say it.

gmsharps

schraubermani
09-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Oh, thats no Problem.
As you wrote...............Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
And everybody is free to write his Point of view.
I like my gun and that's what Counts for me.
:lovebooli
Best regards

dondiego
09-28-2013, 10:06 AM
I would like you detractors to take a photo of your wife/girlfriend and post it here and let schrauermani and others comment.

gunrunner8
09-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you cannot say something positive just don't say it.

gmsharps

Well, PO wanted honest opinion about his "German Engineering" and he got it.
Political correctness be damned.
IMHO it is hard to improove on perfection.

waksupi
09-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It doesn't shine my shoes, either.

jonp
09-28-2013, 01:48 PM
I don't think it is that ugly. I like the cutouts. Very unusual. I think that if it had been rounded down an inch or so in front of the frame and smoothed from angles into the frame it would have been better but to each his own. Custom stuff is not for everyone. To comment that its the ugliest thing I have ever seen is honest but rude. Just say you don't care for it and leave it at that.

AABEN
09-28-2013, 06:05 PM
It need some work done on it to make the barrel look it belongs on that gun!! BAD fit!!

Springfield
09-29-2013, 01:43 AM
OK ,maybe it is just me but why make a heavy barrel and then put in lightening holes? If I did
do that for some reason I would think putting the holes to the rear would make it more front heavy to cut down on recoil.

jgt
09-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Well since I made the ugly comment I appologize if I affended the op by my comment. It was not aimed at him it was meant as an honest opinion of the custom shop creation. The barrel is a variation of the original custom shop creation with some added ginger bread. But thirty years or so have gone by and they still can't seem to created a gun like that without the barrel looking like an after thought or one robbed from some other project and slapped on that frame. I guess they would not seem so bad if I had not purchased one and when it would not shoot very well I started measuring throats and found six different size throats. The crane was a problem to open and the trigger was nasty. We are talking a "custom shop" creation that was a lot more expensive than the regular catalogue item. The gun was neither custom or special in any way except for the ugly barrel slapped on the frame and was a fraud on the public. Now all these years later we see the 2013 version and news they are teaching German engineers to do this and I got to say it is embarrassing to think they would do this to craftsman in a friendly country. My guess is that the Germans when left to their own devices will created something that is much better crafted than this abortion. AS far as the OP I apologize for our company and their business practices and sincerely hope this gun shoots wonderful groups. Pretty is as Pretty does and no accurate gun is ugly to me but I would have to see it to believe it.

fouronesix
09-29-2013, 06:02 PM
I don't think it's ugly and I don't think it's attractive. It's just different to my eye. I'm trying to look at it from a practical or engineering side- not the aesthetic side which tends toward "hot tactical" or something. I guess I don't understand the over-sized and squared off barrel (or barrel housing??) profile that is then milled out to reduce weight. I don't know about German engineering, seems more like 2013 "European Gotham". Hey, no matter as long as it handles and shoots well!

jonp
09-29-2013, 07:08 PM
"2013 European Gotham"..That is interesting and about right. It reminds me of some of the guns you see in movies that are just regular pistols with a different shroud to make them futuristic. Great way to put it

gimling
09-29-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree with GP100 is a great job just would look better if barrel and frame matches up better.

alrighty
09-29-2013, 11:02 PM
I think it is very interesting and unique with the barrel shroud design.I can appreciate the time and effort that went into building your new pistol and I am sure the custom work has the quality that the German gun makers are famous for.I also appreciate you sharing your new pistol with us and I hope you shoot it well.I also hope the criticism of a few do not keep you from posting more about your pistol.
The problem is the huge gap in the styling likes and trends of our two Nations in my opinion.

dverna
09-30-2013, 12:02 AM
A wise man once said "Only accurate guns are interesting".

schraubermani
09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I am doing my best to make it shoot accurate.
But the cause of defect is MOSTLY behind the Trigger :popcorn:

Tatume
09-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Hi Schraubermani,

Here's a photo of my bull-barrel 44 Magnum. It was built by TK Custom.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/Moscheutos/IMGP3989_zpsc1e2292e.jpg

Take care, Tom

schraubermani
10-01-2013, 05:55 AM
Hello,

also a very nice looking Revolver.
Keep it!

Sheldon
10-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Aren't polygonal rifled barrels the bane of lead bullets?? They are the reason guys who want to shoot lead out of Glocks buy aftermarket barrels with cut rifling no?