PDA

View Full Version : Midway Pricing

jim4065
10-29-2007, 11:35 AM
I was going to place an order for a hundred 7.62x54R Russian cases today, but got stopped cold by the pricing:

Norma 100 count #331609 Dealer $103.99 Retail $94.99

Hard to believe it's not a mistake, but I called to have a sales lady check it. After talking to her supervisor, she said I could only get the retail price if I had a retail account in addition to my dealer (C&R) account.

I've spent a lot at Midway in the last year - this really ticks me off....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NVcurmudgeon
10-29-2007, 12:02 PM
That's really odd, but after about twenty years of dealing with Midway, I don't think they are what they once were. Not hatred, I still use them ocassionally but find Graf easier to deal with nowadays. You might shop around for Rusky brass. Norma is usually very high, but there are other choices. IIRC, at least one of the American companies has 7.62 X 54R now.

nighthunter
10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
This isn't a bash at Midway. I recently purchased a 44 caliber Lyman Devastater HP Mold from Midsouth after comaring prices between the two companies. The mold from Midsouth with shipping included was less than the listed price of Midway. There are many more products that fall into this catagory. Maybe there is just too much advertiseing and sponsorship going on at the present time at Midway and the costs do have to be passed on to the customers. Just my 2 cents worth.
Nighthunter

mike in co
10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
7.62 x 53r(or 54R) is also available as lapua for 50-60 bucks per hundred and is great brass.
winchester 7.62 x 53r is actually s&b inport ...and i have never liked its quality..others disagree.

email if you want some new lapua( anyone else...jump in)

mike in co

THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

EMC45
10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
I bought 100 Graf cases 2 years ago for $29.99. I have noticed Midway's pricing getting higher and higher. I called for the new Speer #14 Manual and they quoted 24 bucks + S&H for my dealer price! I can get it local for cheaper. I get the preferred customer deal at my local shop. I haven't bought anything from Midway in a long time. Graf is good, so is Widener's, Midsouth etc.

Freightman
10-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Graff has it for 36.99 per 100, I haven't ordered anything from Midway in a long time. Nothing against them but there is cheaper for the same thing.

jim4065
10-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Curmudgeon - thanks for the reminder. Graf's has Privi cases at 1/3 of the Midway price. I bought 300 for the price of 100 Norma's from Midway.

Nighthunter - you're right about the costs of sponsorship and advertising. My problem is - why do "dealers" have to pay 10% over retail for the same item? We used to get the same price as retail when an item went on sale. If they don't want "dealers" business anymore, fine. Why the slap in the face?

MtGun44
10-29-2007, 01:42 PM
I used to stop at Midway when he had a 20x40 ft concrete block building
when we were driving from KC to Columbia to shoot IPSC. He built up
a wonderful company, really learned to use mail order and now the web
to contact a huge national clientel. I've really like Midway.

I think the founder has turned much of the operations over to son and
daughter, and I , too, am buying less and less as Graf, MidSouth and a few
others stick to the low overhead concept as Midway appears to be going more
towards big houses and cars for the kids running things.

Typical progression of a family business, sometimes it makes it thru the
first generational handoff, almost never the second one.

Bill

Ed K
10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
First off "Retail" is supposed to be the brick and mortar price. When ordering through mail order it should always be less because you cannot see, touch or otherwise evaluate the product under consideration. One more thing, mail order price + shipping should be less than or equal (at most) to retail.

Lastly, what is "handling" and how does that add any value or why am I paying that? My local shop doesn't price components At $xx and then add $20 to put the box on the counter/check me out. :roll:

Last week I got a tip on a blem bullet sale at Midway. After placing a little over $100 in my shopping cart the shipping estimate was $50! I emptied that cart right out. The UPS calcs on that weight was about $22. Of course they could also USPS flat rate it for under $10

Scrounger
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
I get "Dealer Pricing" at Midway and other places only because I have a C & R License. And I'm grateful for what little it is because I really am not a dealer and I don't buy large quantities of stuff. Real dealers buy most of their stuff from local or regional wholesalers at lower prices than Midway offers and no shipping charges. And then he sells it to you for a higher price than Midway offers you. Be grateful for whatever break anyone gives you, buy it where you can get it cheapest.

dakotashooter2
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
I was going through their site the other day and noticed that the per unit cost for their "bulk brass" was higher than the 50 or 100 cnt packages. I also take issue with handling fees. I worked in a retail store for 17 years and at the retail level products are handled far more than at the wholesale level but there is no "extra" charge. Those costs are generally incorporated into the price of the item..

NVcurmudgeon
10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Curmudgeon - thanks for the reminder. Graf's has Privi cases at 1/3 of the Midway price. I bought 300 for the price of 100 Norma's from Midway.

Nighthunter - you're right about the costs of sponsorship and advertising. My problem is - why do "dealers" have to pay 10% over retail for the same item? We used to get the same price as retail when an item went on sale. If they don't want "dealers" business anymore, fine. Why the slap in the face?

jim4065, if you intend to deal with Graf's regularly, shipping is free if you pay list price. If you send them a copy of your C&R you will get dealer discount, but have to pay for shipping. So far going C&R and paying shipping has been a little cheaper, at least on my usual $50-$70 orders.

testhop
10-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I was going to place an order for a hundred 7.62x54R Russian cases today, but got stopped cold by the pricing:

Norma 100 count #331609 Dealer $103.99 Retail $94.99

Hard to believe it's not a mistake, but I called to have a sales lady check it. After talking to her supervisor, she said I could only get the retail price if I had a retail account in addition to my dealer (C&R) account.

I've spent a lot at Midway in the last year - this really ticks me off....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i wish you had posted this yesterday i just sent in a order this a.m
and if thay dont want our money i think iwill go else where

garandsrus
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Last week I got a tip on a blem bullet sale at Midway. After placing a little over $100 in my shopping cart the shipping estimate was $50! I emptied that cart right out. The UPS calcs on that weight was about $22. Of course they could also USPS flat rate it for under $10

Ed K,

I think you saw the "next day air" shipping price. I just received $73 (17 lbs) of .30 Cal bullets and the shipping from MO to MI was $11.42. They arrived in 2 or 3 Days, UPS Ground.

I also don't shop at Midway as much as I used to. I send more business to Grafs. I have a dealer account at both via a C&R FFL.

Of course the main reason that I don't sent them as much money as I used to is that I make my own boolits now... Ok, I have spent a small fortune on molds, lube dies, gas checks, etc....

John

mag_01
10-29-2007, 06:50 PM
:coffee: --- I have been happy with Graf's using my C&R --- Mag_01