PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Boolit Lube

DBH45
09-25-2013, 09:36 PM
I would like to see some pros and cons on using liquid alox. Since I am commited to doing in this manner I"m hoping for more pros than cons! I gather from replies to a previous post that I used a Star, how ever at close to $400.00 for a new one it is beyond my reach. Also I can't use a Bench, have to work off a table top, so Lee to the rescue with their Lube/Sizer kit and Hand Press, yep that's how I reload.
Some thoughts on how to lube them, I am wondering about putting them on a teflon cookie pan, base down and then spraying them with liquid Alox, then put them in a warm oven?
Do you fellows think that it would work?
Thanks for all opnions.
Don

NoZombies
09-25-2013, 11:59 PM
If you spend some time in the lube section, you'll be able to learn a lot more about the various methods that should work within your limitations in far greater detail than what the responses to this thread would.

I think you'll also be happier if instead of asking about how good liquid allox is, to state your limitations, and ask for what your best option would be, and why.

brtelec
09-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Look here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?189546-Dip-lubing-lead-boolits

Jack Stanley
09-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I use the liquid Alox for a limited amount of my lube needs . It works for some project rather well as for a general "do-it-all" lube I don't think that's the stuff though it does depend on what your needs are .

I'd agree with NoZombies , a day spent on the lube page is enlightening . I know because I spent several hours there reading . Check out the material for "Recluse" lube , that might be very helpful to you .

Jack

Shiloh
09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Alox is great for large amounts of pistol boolits. Run my traditional lube groove boolits through a sizer, and lube with alox. I shoot standard lube boolits as well, but it takes a lot longer to lube them.

Shiloh

abqcaster
09-27-2013, 04:33 PM
I almost exclusively use LLA on my wadcutters. Otherwise, I think too much of it gets exposed on boolit noses outside of the case and it gums up my chambers. The exception being the Lee 356-102 1R, in a 9mm. It needs all the lubed surfaces it can get with it's microscopic lube groove.

williamwaco
09-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I love LLA and its less expensive twin Xlox.

Used the Lyman and Star lubricators for 55+ years.

Rarely use them any more.

See

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube.htm

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/lla_bullet_lube_2.htm

dangerranger
09-28-2013, 11:01 AM
If you state what bullets you are lubing you will get ore help also. I use a lot of Allox on pistol bullets, Not so much on rifle calibers. Those I pan lube. Mostly because Im too cheap to buy a lube/sizer. Good luck DR

tomme boy
09-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I have a couple of old rifles that have pitted bores. I use both lubes on them. Traditional wax base, then tumble lubed in alox. It helps with the pitted bore.

TMenezes
09-28-2013, 02:28 PM
I started out using LLA, I learned that a little bit goes a LONG way. If you put on to much it will build up on your reloading dies and leave your boolits feeling tacky. And it can build of on your guns feed ramp. Oh and it really sucks if the cat takes a nap on them! Sticky boolits + cat hair = big mess.

I have switched to White Label Lubes 45-45-10, love it. Its cheaper, it dries harder, and little to no tackyness. Like LLA a little also goes a LONG way.

If you like Lee LLA then you'll probably love 45-45-10. If you've never heard of it, its 45% Alox, 45% Johnsons paste wax, 10% mineral spirits. So far I've only used it on pistol calibers. When I start reloading for my 45-70 and 30-30 I plan to continue using
this lube and expect it to perform well.

ShooterAZ
09-28-2013, 05:52 PM
While a lot of guys like and use LLA or Xlox, I hate it. I can't stand the smell of it, and the smell of the smoke from it. It's cheap, it works, and if you don't have a bench you don't have too many other choices besides pan lubing.

root
09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Depends what I'm loading.

Sometimes I use the XLOX, sometimes cakecutter method, sometimes my 450 sizer.
And once in a while I will use the NUFINSH liquid car wax.

As others have said the lube forum is AWESOME....

mpmarty
09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
I use a 50/50 mix of LEE alox and JPW it works very well and no sticky mess either.

DBH45
09-28-2013, 06:15 PM
I really appreciate the positive input you have given me. I should have stated the Boolit I am casting. It is the Lee 6 cav. #90286, the 90310 looks to be for solid lube.
Thanks again,
Don

root
09-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Just because it's not a tumble lube boolit doesn't mean it can't XLOXed or aloxed.

maybe cake cut them then size.

On my large lube grove boolits I cake cut and do the push through size mainly the 45 acp for my M/10 transferable.

the 300 BLKOUT gets either the NUFINISH wax or XLOX

9mm gets ethier the XLOX or soft room temp lube in the 450 sizer

All rifle boolits get XLOX then I use the 450 sizer converted to push through with soft lube.
Or standard push pull to seat checks and add the soft lube...

I can't recommend WHITE LABEL LUBE COMPANY ENOUGH!

Figure out what you need to do and work from there.

As you see from my above text some methods are better then others for different applications.

One thing I don't do is the powder coat as I cast and load volume.

ElDorado
09-28-2013, 11:14 PM
I believe that's a Lee TL452-230-TC, for those of us who haven't memorized Lee's catalog numbers.

Lee's Liquid Alox is fine, especially if you're just starting out. Lee packs a bottle with their sizer, so you might as well try it. I don't recommend the oven, and LLA is more of a drip consistency, rather than a spray. If the lube is too thick in consistency, hold the bottle under warm tap water for a minute or so. I just put a suitable amount of bullets in a large margarine tub, drip on a small amount of lube, swirl the tub around to spread the lube, then set them out to dry. Remember, a little goes a long way.

So, to answer your question:

Pros:
It's inexpensive
It's easy
The sizer works with your press
The lube is included with the sizer
You can still try other liquid lubes, dip lubing, and pan lubing, and still use your sizer.
Your bullet is designed for tumble lube

Cons:
It gets lube on the nose of the bullet, which bothers me a little, but doesn't matter at all to some people.

wallenba
09-28-2013, 11:31 PM
When I size and lube small batches with LLA, I do it this way.
I apply a generous amount of Vaseline on a folded paper towel. Then I roll my boolits in it and push through the Lee sizer (less mess).
I then mix a half teaspoon each of LLA and odorless mineral spirits in an old shot glass.
I pick them up by the nose with a pair of large, spring closing tweezers I got from Harbor Freight. I bent the ends to grab small round objects.
I then swab on the mixture with a Q-tip. A good deal of the 'tuft' should be pulled off first.
Then I stand them up on a small sheet of aluminum foil.

When dry, they will have a golden honey color appearance. That's all that's needed. Best part is, that there should not be any LLA on the nose, so the it won't build up in your seater die.

muskeg13
09-29-2013, 01:04 AM
For cast boolits at, or over, 2000 fps, I use both, and get no leading(with gas checks). For plain base pistol boolits, LLL is magic stuff all by itself.

I size and lube with traditional alox or my homebrewed version first, then tumble lube with the Johnson's Paste Wax/Lee Liquid Lube before loading. I have shot air cooled wheel weight alloy boolits at 2300+ without leading. Both boolit size and good lube are important.

Why use both? I found that I had to lube the driving bands after sizing @ 2000 plus when using softer alloy

'74 sharps
09-29-2013, 06:23 AM
I love the White Label - alox, but a lot less expensive - for my unsized 38 & 357's. I try to get about the same amount of lube that is on a 22lr, not much, and never had any leading or chambering issues with non-tumble lube bullets in my revolvers.

Gohon
09-29-2013, 11:30 AM
I use a 50/50 mix of LEE alox and JPW it works very well and no sticky mess either.

Same here and I use it on everything. I don't mix in any mineral spirits as JPW already has some of that in it. I do use the dip method which is a little time consuming but it fills the grooves up very nice and puts nothing on the nose of the bullet. I've shot gas checked bullets up into the 2400 fps range with no leading what so ever. Works for me...........

10x
10-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Interesting reading.

I use Lee Liquid Alox for most cast bullets now. I put the bullets in a heavy duty zip lock bag, drip in some LLA, mix it up, dump the bullets on a wax paper covered cookie sheet,
or a newspaper covered cookie sheet (paper absorbs excess LLA) and stand them on their bases so the solvent in the LLA evaporates and leaves me with lubed bullets.

With rifle bullets I will do this prior to sizing then put on the gas check, size, and back into the ziplok bag for a second light coat of LLA and then onto wax paper to let the lube set up.

Brake Kleen or mineral spirits sprayed into the bullet seating die will remove the LLA, a light layer of light oil to keep it from rusting after...