PDA

View Full Version : cast boolit weight variation

ncbearman
09-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Will I ever get better than a 2 to 3 grain weight variation in my casting? Am I expecting too much. I have cast since the 70's, but never really was concerned about consistency in boolit weight. Am I expecting too much to want to consistently cast boolits that drop within .005gr to 1.000gr of each other? Also would a Pro-Melt or Mag 20 help with consistency? Thanks.

Russ

bhn22
09-25-2013, 09:03 PM
A lot depends on the bullet size. My rule of thumb has been to accept variations of .005 %. To achieve this, I had to learn to ladle cast. I never was able to get the results I wanted with bottom pour.

country gent
09-25-2013, 09:08 PM
.005 grn is pretty optomistic just to measure to. Seriously though, sort some to your wanted accuracy level. Then load 2 test batches 1 + 2 Post 2 targets down range side by side target 1 + 2. Have a friend load the firearm or mags tell you which target to shoot and track which load is which target. In this way you dont skew the results with supposition. Also keep in mind a 1 grn varation on a 55 grn 22 cal bullet is much greater than 1 grn on a 500 grn 45 cal bullet.

ncbearman
09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
A lot depends on the bullet size. My rule of thumb has been to accept variations of .005 %. To achieve this, I had to learn to ladle cast. I never was able to get the results I wanted with bottom pour.

Really.............so your saying you get better accuracy from ladle than you do bottom pour? Is that the case for everyone do you think or is it that you are familiar with that process the most? I started off ladle casting, and never did get the hang of it. Well, I got a bottom pour from santa when I was a teenager so I guess I never really tried that hard.

Gtek
09-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Due to level change in pot it changes temp and down force. A ladle will be more consistent in volume and dump IMHO. .5 is reject level for me on 200ish .30's. I usually bat 80-90%, never 100% due to weight swings and the couple early fugly's. I usually try and dump 125 on a normal run. Gtek