PDA

View Full Version : powder coat

gimling
09-25-2013, 08:50 PM
here are some crappy pics of my powder coat last batch these are sized.

blueeyephil
09-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Looks like some I've done recently. I haven't had a chance to load any up. How about you?

gimling
09-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Loaded about 600, shot about 100 of them, barrel seems to be perfectly clean, im using a lee 6 cavity 40 175 swc mold, I do 2 coats total one with base of bullet down, bake, flip bullet powder coat bake then size. using 4.6gr hogdon HP-38 powder good accuracy so far.

bangerjim
09-26-2013, 12:35 AM
I do this exact boolit in HF matte black, only I spray just one coat and bake one time. No need to coat base in a 40 S&W.

Shot a couple hundred so far and, and as all the other 30/38/45's I do......no leading at all!

bangerjim

gimling
09-26-2013, 09:16 PM
well I think I might be doing too many at a time, because im not getting good coverage on the lube grooves is why I have been doing 2 coats.

capt.hollis
09-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Are y'all sizing after you coat or before ?
Thanks

bangerjim
09-26-2013, 11:19 PM
I get full even coverage even in the lube grooves with just one spray coat using the HF black. I spray at a low angle and space the slugs about an inch apart. I turn the rack once and get it from the other side, checking to make sure there is no shiny showing thru.

At first I tried 2 and the coating was way to thick and the boolits had had a hard time going thru the sizing die.

So far 1 coat works VERY well for me!

bangerjim

capt.hollis
09-26-2013, 11:24 PM
I get full even coverage even in the lube grooves with just one spray coat using the HF black. I spray at a low angle and space the slugs about an inch apart. I turn the rack once and get it from the other side, checking to make sure there is no shiny showing thru.

At first I tried 2 and the coating was way to thick and the boolits had had a hard time going thru the sizing die.

So far 1 coat works VERY well for me!

bangerjim
So your sizing after you coat then right ?

Ajax
09-27-2013, 05:15 AM
yes Capt. some who do 2 coats size in between.

Andy

Boarderguy83
09-28-2013, 05:06 PM
I just started powder coating this week. I was able to get around 300 boolits powder coated in an hour and a half. I have shot about 140 of them so far. I have them sitting on top of 4.5 gr of Unique. They shoot just as accurately as my plated bullets do from my Glock 19. I have a lone wolf barrel, and I found that after several strings of powder coated rounds, it is no more dirty than normal. Who ever came up with this idea is an absolute genius. Aside from the occasional smell of the coating while shooting, I would say the powder coating is amazing. I see no reason to ever buy another plated, or jacketed bullet again.

John

bangerjim
09-28-2013, 05:22 PM
So your sizing after you coat then right ?

Yes..........after-coating sizing makes the ridges of the lube grooves a bit shiny but the PC does not come off.......ever! That assumes you have baked 400F for 10 min. And your oven IS REALLY accurate at 400F......most are NOT.

If it comes of, then 1) you have grease on your lead, 2) your are under baking, 3) your mold is really out of whack for boolit size. I size after casting to insure correct size B4 casting also.

Works perfectl every time!

bangerjim

bangerjim
09-28-2013, 05:23 PM
I just started powder coating this week. I was able to get around 300 boolits powder coated in an hour and a half. I have shot about 140 of them so far. I have them sitting on top of 4.5 gr of Unique. They shoot just as accurately as my plated bullets do from my Glock 19. I have a lone wolf barrel, and I found that after several strings of powder coated rounds, it is no more dirty than normal. Who ever came up with this idea is an absolute genius. Aside from the occasional smell of the coating while shooting, I would say the powder coating is amazing. I see no reason to ever buy another plated, or jacketed bullet again.

John

Exactly why I do it also. And to eliminate all the hassle of using witches brew lubes and having expensive lubramatic sizers!

bangerjim

50GI-Jess
09-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Interesting,
Any specific brand of PC ?

gimling
09-29-2013, 09:22 PM
I use the cheap stuff from harbor freight 50GI. its $5 a pound and works just fine.