PDA

View Full Version : Clean your Garage/reloading area!!

Love Life
09-25-2013, 07:08 PM
Ever since I got to fooling with 308 brass I really haven't had a chance to do much reloading or maintaining my reloading area.

I have done some swapping and selling, and when a box comes in I usually toss it somewhere out of the way of my 2 foot walkway through the clutter.

Well, I have spent the last 2 hours working on my reloading area and have found the following:

2 new in the package 550B toolheads
2 new in the package Dillon powder dies
1,000 55 gr .224 FMJ bullets
500 53 gr FBHP .224 SMK bullets
500 .224 50 gr Vmax bullets
1 coffee can full of cleaned and fully prepped 8X57 brass
300 Hornady 170 gr RN .323 bullets
200 virgin 45 colt
a big bag of LC match 30-06 for converting to 8X57
A surefire helmet light
Targets
2,000 SPP
My powder funnel (been looking for that one for awhile)
A wooden reloading block
100 rds of loaded 45 acp
100 primed 1xfired starline 357 mag brass
3 left hand gloves (not sure what is going on there)
An unopened pack of smokes.

So I suggest everybody clean their garage/reloading area!

jmort
09-25-2013, 07:21 PM
"3 left hand gloves (not sure what is going on there)"

I believe this a common occurrence as I have a couple/three same handed gloves. Clearing out a storage unit (10' x 20') Friday, and I'm sure there is some really good/useful stuff in there, long forgotten for the past couple years.

firefly1957
09-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Been there myself last find was as i was preparing to make a gas check maker for my new 30 caliber mold when i got up and looked behind the 30 caliber bullets on the shelf i found a box of 1000 30 caliber gas checks . I must have bought them 40 years ago and never started casting for the 30 caliber until now. By the way if they were still that cheap i would not be looking at making checks!

Harter66
09-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I made finds like that just digging through ''prepped'' brass can. Well not tool heads, but there was an AWOL die. The seat backs of my trucks are like that too. Except that it was put there on purpose and forgotten.

FISH4BUGS
09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Last time I cleaned my reloading area I found 1600 cast, sized and lubed 9mm rn 124 gr bullets, 2000 cast but unsized 358156, 2000 223 55 gr fmj bullets, and small tools I had been missing for years.
It IS a good idea!

John Allen
09-25-2013, 08:11 PM
My favorite now that I am organized is to buy something and then put it in its proper place and realize I already bought it at sometime! I hate to admit it but I have done this a couple of times.

fatelk
09-25-2013, 08:30 PM
I just moved again. We sold our old house of nearly a decade some months ago, where I had down-sized and down-sized my reloading area over the years as the kids came along. We moved and lived in a rental for the last nine or ten months, where most of my stuff stayed in boxes or cans. I was able to set up and do some casting there.

Now we just bought and moved into a much bigger house. I will actually have my own room for all my stuff, space that I haven't had in many years. Once I get time to actually unpack and move in, it's going to be like Christmas. I know I'll find stuff I've completely forgotten about and haven't seen in years!

km101
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm scared to start cleaning up my reloading shop. I might find all the things that I have carefully stored away, and now cant remember where I stored them! I might find out how senile I really am. :)

Love Life
09-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Round 2:

I found a couple hundred primed virgin 5.56 brass
some lanolin

I also discovered that black widows prefer to hang out 45 colt brass over all the others.

Lead Fred
09-25-2013, 08:41 PM
3 left hand gloves (not sure what is going on there)

Michael Jackson been in your garage lately?

Love Life
09-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I knew it!!

bikerbeans
09-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Last time I cleaned the "Possum Lodge" I got a brief look at the floor. It took less than a week for the floor to "disappear" again.

BB

Rooster
09-25-2013, 09:22 PM
That's and awesome idea! Lord knows I've only got enough room to cast and load right now. I sure do need to clean the bunker, but it truly is an intimidating thing to look at let alone to think about. Maybe tomorrow.

GRUMPA
09-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I don't care if I clean the reloading area once a week, with my CRS I'm always finding stuff I thought I never knew I had.

GL49
09-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Your right hand gloves are in my garage. I was wondering where the left ones went.

dragon813gt
09-25-2013, 10:18 PM
This is why I've kept everything organized from the beginning. It's a carry over from work. I need to know exactly where parts are and how many of them are on the van to make money. I treat the reloading area the same way. I'm one of the few that puts everything away when I'm done using it. It's all a mess when I'm working in the area. But it's clean when I'm done.

1bilmr59
09-25-2013, 10:56 PM
I am new. all the reloading things I had collected are all over the basement. I have already bought things that i have.

Idaho Mule
09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm scared to, I don't think I would have room to store all the missing stuff I found. JW

Frank46
09-25-2013, 11:24 PM
When I first started reloading every thing I had would fit into a 20mm ammo can. Not anymore almost 40 years later. Frank

blueeyephil
09-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I've told myself that I'm going to spend some time doing inventory and create a spreadsheet. I've bought a couple of items to find I've already got them. I might actually reorganize some too.

Some day... Maybe

Love Life
09-25-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm just hoping that I stashed a LFRB full of $100 bills somewhere ad forgot about it. Fingers crossed...

I also found a set of harris bi-pods and a couple other things. Quite the day and tomorrow I'll be cleaning the casting area.

10x
09-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I will look for a reloading tool, shell holder, die set, what ever, search for days, then buy a new one, use it and put it away - right beside the one I had been looking for....

starmac
09-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Ima skeered too, I know I have a lot of components for calibers I don't own yet. If I went through it all, no tellin what it would cost me. lol

Bzcraig
09-26-2013, 12:27 AM
All who need there garages/reloading areas cleaned, please call me. I will set an appt with you (will drive great distances) to come and clean your mess for free. You won't recognize the place when you get home!

horsesoldier
09-26-2013, 12:50 AM
I need that surefire helmet light! lol I was on leave in Iraq when my unit gave them out and I have been chasing one ever since!

Love Life
09-26-2013, 01:21 AM
I actually have 2 of them new in the box...

Shoot me a PM and maybe we can come to an agreement.

Swamp Man
09-26-2013, 03:10 AM
I have a room like that that I store my vintage reels and tackle in. I need to clean it now but boy what a mess. Last time I cleaned it I found countless vintage reels I'd bought and never took out of the shipping boxes along with many other things I bought over the years and never opened. I'm bad about buying things when I can get a good deal and going in there and just setting them some place. It's been at least 7-8 years since I cleaned it so there is no telling what all may be in there. Last time I cleaned it I found 6 boxes of shotgun shells I forgot I bought.

merlin101
09-26-2013, 03:38 AM
This is why I've kept everything organized from the beginning. It's a carry over from work. I need to know exactly where parts are and how many of them are on the van to make money. I treat the reloading area the same way. I'm one of the few that puts everything away when I'm done using it. It's all a mess when I'm working in the area. But it's clean when I'm done.

You do know that that is a sign of a sick mind don't you? :)

Hogtamer
09-26-2013, 05:28 AM
I've got the Surefire, it's the charger I can't find...

Ithaca Gunner
09-26-2013, 08:01 AM
I've got to do it this weekend to find things I haven't seen in a while. One of which is my RCBS cast bullet manual, those things are rarer than gold! All the mechanical tools go out this time, there just isn't room for them anymore, I'm going to build a larger welding cart that doubles as a tool cart also. The place is a mess and needs organized, a new cabinet for all the shot shell reloading supplies is needed, as well as another bench!

dragon813gt
09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
You do know that that is a sign of a sick mind don't you? :)

You know who says that, unorganized people. I've never understood why it's a bad thing to be this way. I know it's because the majority of people are unorganized. So they had to come up w/ a saying that puts down organized people to make themselves feel better ;)

ballistim
09-26-2013, 08:37 AM
I always admire those with an organized work area, and mine often gets out of hand. Am planning to give my reloading area an overhaul soon to set it up before winter sets in or I'll get too busy at work to get caught up. Smelting and casting area is looking pretty good right now, though! Beautiful weather for casting and smelting here now so am taking advantage of it.

bear67
09-26-2013, 09:36 AM
We need to make a trade--I always have new right hand welding gloves around the shop and truck. I have been welding since 1958 and almost never use a right glove. When teaching welding back in the dark ages, I might wear two gloves while demonstrating but not for long. I think there are 3 or 4 righties on top of the TIG machine right now.

Cleaning the shop can be like Christmas in July. I have 4 shops, cabinet, machine (reloading also), welding/fabrication and a shop at my son's farm we all use as it usually has open floor space. Now with sons, son in laws, grandsons using all of the above, I have to think where some tool or machine is or call for help. CRS is age induced.

WILCO
09-27-2013, 02:59 PM
So I suggest everybody clean their garage/reloading area!

I do every so often, and it's like Christmas! [smilie=s:

Ithaca Gunner
09-27-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm about half way done with mine, haven't found any forgotten treasure yet, but who knows what lurks beneath all the junk! I know I have enough 12ga. components to last me into the next life! I did stumble across a 250 rd. belt of .30 MG ammo, kinda wonder how the old woman would feel about a Browning 1919-A4 in the safe...

Freightman
09-27-2013, 03:40 PM
sweep around loading bench, using a torch the other day poof the floor said around the bench startling.