PDA

View Full Version : Pufflon in a muzzleloader?

jonk
10-29-2007, 09:11 AM
For those of you who don't know what it is, it is an extremely light, fine granule moly impregnated dust used as a ballistic filler in cartridges. It flows under pressure.

I got the idea, it might work well as a gas check in a muzzleloader. As it is compressible, it would still blow out the base of a minie nicely but not allow the gas to reach the bullet, plus it would seal the bore to the bullet from any blow by gas that otherwise WOULD get by. It is great stuff in cartridges, but anyone try it in a front stuffer?

R.M.
10-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Don't know, should work. I've only used Cream of Wheat/corn meal. Some use wasp nest material. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions here.

RBak
10-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I've used a few different fillers in muzzleloaders with flat base conicals with pretty good success, but I can't say the same about hollow base.

Although I've never used it, I have heard of Pufflon and it does seem to work real well in straight wall cases, but I can't say I've ever heard of it being used in muzzleloaders. If it would fill the base of a conical "evenly", it just might work.

It will be interesting to hear what others with more experience with fillers have to say.

Russ...

Underclocked
10-29-2007, 11:18 AM
I've used fillers (mainly cornmeal) but I thought jonk was talkin bout sum weird lookun bird. :)