PDA

View Full Version : Virtual memory?

Bret4207
10-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Okay, so what is "Windows Virtual Memory" and why is it always "too low" and why does it need to enlarge itself?

imashooter2
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Virtual memory is a portion of your hard drive that Windows writes info to when it runs out of physical memory (RAM chips). Virtual memory is much, much slower than physical. If you are always out of virtual memory, you have too many programs running, or not enough physical memory. First check all that crap that loads at start up. Do you actually use any of it? If not change settings so it doesn't load. How much physical memory does your machine have? 512Mb is a bare minimum these days, 1Gb is better. How big is your hard drive? How much free space do you have? If you have the space, you can change the default allocation for virtual memory so you don't keep getting messages. But remember, like sex, virtual is a poor substitute for physical.

Scrounger
10-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Turn on computer
Hit 'Start', then 'Run'
Type in MSCONFIG, then 'OK'
When System Configuration Utility comes up, click on 'Startup'
You will see a list of programs; if the box in front of it is checked, that program runs as soon as your computer comes on. Uncheck all the programs (click disable all), hit 'Apply' and 'OK', then restart your computer. Now you have more free memory. If any of the programs you turned off are necessary to run the computer, the computer will turn them on by itself. All the other programs are optional and still available to you when you want to use them, they just don't turn on automatically when your computer starts.

Bret4207
10-29-2007, 10:31 AM
I have an 80G hard drive, just over 10% space used, almost 90% free. Not sure where I find the memory stats. I know we added a bunch when the computer was reformatted earlier this year.

oneokie
10-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Right click on "My Computer" left click on "properties", on the general tab, it will show basic system info. lower right hand corner.

On the start-up thing mentioned, DO NOT uncheck your antivirus, spyware, antispam!

Quick way to see what is running; Right click on the task bar at the bottom of the screen, left click on "Task Manager", click on the "processes" tab, will show what is running.