PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State Police OK Concealed Carry Instructors

km101
09-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Another step in the issuance of CCW permits in the State of Illinois!

Unless there is significant foot-dragging, the residents of IL should be able to get their first permits issued by late spring according to this article.

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x1868842868/Illinois-State-Police-OKs-instructors-for-concealed-carry-training

Congratulations on all your hard work paying off! Glad to see this happening! It's been a long time coming, but it looks like it's finally here!

Bad Water Bill
09-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Applications for instructors were accepted Sept 6.

Hundreds of folks submitted their certifications AND ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINTS (at an additional fee of over $50.00 to a state licensed co) by the close of the day on Sept 9.

Since that time ONLY 54 persons have been certified to be qualified instructors. That is an average of about 4 per day.

Tens of thousands of folks are patiently waiting for the ILLINOIS STATE POLICE to come up with their curriculum that the instructors are ALLOWED to teach.

The 16 hours of instruction as mandated is expected to cost about $300.00 in addition to the fingerprinting fee and your CCW permit fee of an additional $150.00 for 5 years.

How is that going to help the folks that need CCW the most? Like seniors on SS or folks living near or below the poverty level?

This fight is not over by a long shot. Not if the politicians from CHIRAQ can help it.

Sorry but we are NOT celebrating by a long shot.

Stay tuned for further developments.:bigsmyl2:

bbs70
09-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Bill, I was wondering the same thing about people on SS, low income, and fixed income.
Most of these people can't afford the funds to get a cc permit.
And they're the ones who need it the most.
It seems older people are the ones who get robbed, beaten, and killed.

I had a elderly neighbor who moved from a big town ( Alton ), a bullet had come through his window and he decided to take a loss on his home and move to our little town.
He told me he was even afraid to got to the store where he had lived.

I had an uncle who use to live in E. St.Louis years ago he moved for the same reason.

How about these people who aren't able to afford to defend themselves.

Bad Water Bill
09-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Why do you think I am still fighting?

At 77 and on a SS check I will not be able to fit the license into my budget for a while.

It will definitely happen one of these days.

Looks like 2 extra meals of Purina dog chow a week and we can do it.

Just wonder if our fearless leaders medicare plan will cover the cost of our broken teeth or plates?:bigsmyl2:

472x1B/A
09-25-2013, 06:21 PM
You have to soak that dog chow in some water for a short while befor dining BWB. Can't soak it in milk, it's $4.00 a gal here. I'm with you on this topic Bill.

Bad Water Bill
09-25-2013, 07:18 PM
You have to soak that dog chow in some water for a short while befor dining BWB. Can't soak it in milk, it's $4.00 a gal here. I'm with you on this topic Bill.

You have to start shopping like a senior.

ALDI has vitamin D MILK AT $1.69 all the time. Meijer and Ultra are $1.99.

turmech
09-25-2013, 07:41 PM
My state pulls some of the same garbage (garbage is not the first word that come to mind either). I am pretty sure I know what goes through their mind. “Well, if we are going to loose the issue we might as well profit from it”. Might as well charge $25 year to get a lic to attend your church, tax the newspaper 5.00 a issue, or charge you $20 fee to register to vote. All the same thing but the American people in general will only allow one of the above to go on.

km101
09-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Bill, I did not mean to imply that the fight is over or that what you have now is adequate. But it is better than what you had a year ago, and is a base to work from. No the fees and restrictions are not fair or right! But you knew going in that you would not get all you wanted, and a partial victory is better than a defeat! I am just proud that another step in the process has been accomplished!

You have a long fight ahead, but it has begun and when the first (expensive) CCW licenses are issued that is a step in the right direction.

When the CHL laws were passed in Texas the class time requirement was 10 hrs. and most instructors were charging $150 for the class. The class time is now down to 4-6 hrs. and you can find instructors charging $75 or less. (sometimes a lot less) We now have reductions in fees for the indigent and senior citizens, and veterans. These improvements took time and work and were not easy, but they happened and IL can do the same. I know dealing with the political system is frustrating, but the results are worth it.

Keep the faith and keep fighting!

DCM
09-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Slooooowly moving in the right direction.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-25-2013, 08:59 PM
would be nice if the free hunter safety class would count for 8 of the 16 hours
of class time we need why did my ancestors wagon have to break in Illinois

Finster101
09-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Bill, is there any provision for prior military. In Florida a copy of my DD-214 meant I was not required to take a class since Uncle Sam had already given me one.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Bill, is there any provision for prior military. In Florida a copy of my DD-214 meant I was not required to take a class since Uncle Sam had already given me one.
you are good for 8 hours
http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-faq.cfm

Finster101
09-25-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks for that link LUCKYDAWG. I also see that no out of state permits are recognized. So don't look for other states to recognize an IL permit. You folks have come a long way and done an excellent job but definitely keep pushing for this to become a reasonable process. Right now too many hoops have to be jumped through. Stay on em'.

James

Bad Water Bill
09-25-2013, 11:55 PM
I just looked at the I S P site and to my amazement saw that we now have more instructors.

A message from an "ILLINOIS CASTER "467 instructors as of 21:14 cst"

Now that makes this OLD man feel good.

Again THANK YOU 45 NUT and staff for helping us get this far.:bigsmyl2:

Yes at least 2 ILLINOIS CASTER members are now certified.

Yes VETS get 8 hours credit. But you NEED your DD 214. In case yours has been misplaced there is a sticky on how to get another here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?212747-Current-Information-Regarding-DD-214-s

And folks wonder why I say this is the best site on the internet.[smilie=s:

Sorry if this OLD man sounds a LITTLE frustrated at times but it has been a loooong fight for many of us that are actually involved not just sitting back and complaining.

Yes we knew beforehand we would have years of fighting ahead of us.

Thanks again for the support folks. Yes it does help.

Texas Florida and Utah are still working on theirs. Hawaii has HAD a CCW law on the books for a while now but unless you are a politician or filthy rich you ain't gunna git one.:twisted:

We had to give ground to Chiraq politicians in exchange tor SHALL ISSUE but we will change their way of thinking over the next couple of years.

MaryB
09-26-2013, 12:04 AM
I thought MN was bad for those of us on Social Security with $100 for the class and $75 for the permit. Have to retake the class every 5 years too

gspgundog
09-26-2013, 04:03 PM
I just checked a CCW app and it is showing 17 states that will accept the Illinois permit. Now the brain trust in Springfield need to start accepting those states first followed by the rest. Just double checked the states by going to Handgunlaw.us and the only difference is Handgun law is showing 18 with VT being the extra state.

w0fms
09-26-2013, 05:09 PM
It'll be good in Iowa.. we accept any state's permits. I think those 17 all do. We fought for that here. We wanted that here.

Now I'm wondering what has to be done on this end to teach out-of-state for an Ill course.

What types of credentials are they looking for in instructors? It almost seems NRA one might fly... if so.. maybe I'll try to become one of the first out-of-state instructors. But probably even my instructor training isn't good enough for the 16 hours...

I imagine it will be a money loser to try tho.. not exactly making any teaching IA classes yet... But that never was the point.

Any insight on this, guys?

(I grew up in Cook County but escaped to IA and do teach courses here...)

Bad Water Bill
09-26-2013, 06:39 PM
We DID have an instructor from MO certified for a day then the I S P cancelled his certification. Here is his farewell note.

"To all Illinois instructors it looks like the state is yours for the taking. I was called by the ISP a moment ago and was told Missouri does not report voluntary mental health checks. Therefore since our system does not mirror Illinois system they are unable to approve me at this point or anyone from Missouri. However he said they are trying to fix the system. I have been teaching in Missouri for sometime and I work for the criminal justice system. If that is not good enough for them maybe I don't need to be apart of it. I ask him if other states maybe in this situation. He said yes they are working on the issues. He said they did not have much time to figure this conceal carry system out. "

Not much time? 49 other programs to review and OVER 9 months time is not enough?

Is that program managed by a part time high school student working one lunch hour a week or what?

Now you see what we have to contend with.

OH by the way a N R license costs $300.00 for 5 years + all of the same hoops we have to jump thru.

w0fms
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Ugh.. you know that probably also means that out of staters will not be able to get the permit at all. Not just instructors.

Boy I am glad I escaped. If I can only get my mom out of Cook County....sigh...

"If that isn't good enough for them, maybe I don't need to be a part of it." 1: He's absolutely right. 2: That is what Illinois Democrats exactly want. They won on the CCW law after all. Proof is right there.... sigh...

Thanks for the info though. It's what I thought, that it probably will not be worth it-- though I suspect those of us from neighboring states would have demand for instruction, even at 6x the cost of the Iowa permit...

Some of my wife's friends from downstate (Marshall, IL is where she is originally from) ended up on that latest list. So at least I'm happy about that.

Keep on the good fight and if you find out more about out of state instructors.. let us know.

Bad Water Bill
09-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I just read a notice to be patient. I S P apparently have seen the error of their ways and are scrambling to change a lot of things to make it easier for ALL folks to get a CCW in Illinois.

Of course this news paper might have helped us.

http://www.examiner....rative-troubles

"Illinois new concealed carry gun law has administrative troubles

September 25, 2013

Even though Illinois will have a concealed carry gun law in place come 2014, citizens are finding it impossible – thus far – to do the required training because the training is not available just three months before the new law is active, according to a Tuesday report in the Inquisitr.

The problem is, first, Illinois only has 54 registered instructors who can train Illinoisans on how to hand a weapon. Secondly, instructors cannot begin instructing students or telling potential students what will be taught because the instructors have yet to be given the state-approved curriculum for teaching the courses.

Illinois is the last state in the country to pass a concealed carry law. Its requirements are among the strictest – if not the strictest – in the country for citizens, as well. Applicants must complete 16 hours of training before getting the legal documents that are necessary to carry a gun in the state when the new year begins.

The Illinois State Police claim that 1,000 people have requested work as an instructor. Before becoming an instructor, a person must become state-approved.

A state spokesperson, Monique Bond, claims she’s confident that there will be enough instructors to provide the required training to prospective applicants. She also said that training could begin when the state’s approved curriculum is ready.

Again, persons are supposed to be able to request applications for their concealed carry permit at the beginning of the year. Yet, they need to complete 16 hours of training of a course that has no curriculum at this time, and has only 54 qualified instructors so far."

In the last 4 days since that article was written they have approved a total of 757 certified instructors who still do not know just what to teach as the I S P has yet to release their curriculum.

STAY TUNED.

gspgundog
09-30-2013, 07:46 PM
The Illinois State Police have released a listing of companies that have been approved to teach the Illinois CCW required training. They have also listed what other courses they will accept for up to 8 hours of class, NRA Basic Pistol being one of them. Below is the page with all the info you may have to scroll down because the top of the page talks about instructor approval.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/firearms/ccw/ccw-instructor-index.cfm

Next stop by Jan 5th they say they will have a web site up to download the application. Then the long wait, feel like a little kid in June I know Christmas is comming but it is taking to long to get here.

Mike

Bad Water Bill
09-30-2013, 10:07 PM
I am waiting to see what happens on the 3rd when the state has to face the court as to what the state has done to get CCW in our state.

Depending on what the court rules a lot of things can still change.

IIRC Wednesday or Thursday is when they are in court. Then more time till their ruling is published.

It is still very interesting.

w0fms
10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
I read (from the Ill State Police website) NRA Basic Pistol is good for 8 hours towards an ILL CCW and Utah is good for 4. I suppose I should go off and get a Utah now since it picks up a few states that IA isn't good for (that I rarely go to, but MN is one of them). But I like the fact that NRA Basic Pistol is counted and that the NRA Certs are listed as being valid for at least one of the requirements of ILL for training instructors as well (in a round about way-- NRA credentials list the expiration date instead of the issue date...). I might try to pursue this after all. I'll see after the 1st of the year. I'm sure it will be another money loser I do out of principle instead if I do it.

Thanks for the updates.

DCP
10-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I read the same page. If you notice Veterans aren't include. In another section they are.
What a FUBR

Bad Water Bill
10-02-2013, 07:41 PM
The reason we vets were not mentioned is BY LAW we automatically were credited with 8 hours of training.

All you need is a copy of your DD 214.

We now have a sticky if someone has misplaced theirs over the last ??? years.

Epd230
10-02-2013, 07:57 PM
One of the authorized instructors is a co-worker of mine. I just talked to him about the classes and he is thinking that he cannot end up doing it. The class includes range time and he is unable to locate a range to rent/use for the course.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-02-2013, 07:59 PM
what part of the state are you in

Epd230
10-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Fox valley area, Elgin-Algonquin.

Bad Water Bill
10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Have your friend join our group. One of our members might be able to put him in touch with a landowner with a berm and they could work something out.

Now if you were South of Chiraq I might be able to help.

CLAYPOOL
10-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I have called Springfield twice to the mans number that does the Range Certs with NO response. You can't get a range changed if they make you wait till you can move it to CHICAGO first. As it now goes people just keep getting their Florida permits here.

CLAYPOOL
10-02-2013, 09:11 PM
I have to wonder if it has ANYTHING to do with how you vote(D).

ErikO
10-03-2013, 04:14 PM
This thead reminds me, I need to get across the river to get myself certified to train...