PDA

View Full Version : two questions regarding shrinkage and lube.

RWE
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
1. Got a groove diameter of 0.543 in my ML. Pure lead maxi balls are being cast right at 0.543, making it a little hard to load. Any techniques, other than getting a custom sizer, that I can use to get those to shrink down a wee bit. I like the tight fit, but if I can do anything procedurally to come down a few thousandths, it would help.

2. Using beeswax in the grooves, reduced with mineral spirits. I pile it on, then push the bullet through a hole drilled in soft pine to clean it up, leaving the wax at the groove diameter, but after a day, it hardens up some and has shrunk. I suppose I can pack it down again, or wait till it hardens before running it through the hole, but is there anything I can do to the wax to reduce the shrinkage?

Echo
09-25-2013, 11:09 AM
My guess is that the shrinkage is from the mineral spirits evaporating out. Do the boolits leave lead deposits in the bbl? If not, press on...
A simple (to me - I'm a simple man) solution would be to tumble lube in Mule Snot after your beeswax loobing. I'm a believer in TL, and it seems that it should work fne in ML'ers.

RWE
09-25-2013, 11:34 AM
so far, no signs of leading, but I've only got a few down.

It's a Pedersoli Kodiak Express SxS, and I need to get serious about a load, but I need to work the kinks out of production first.

Just a couple rounds out each barrel so far, and using mild loads (80gr Pyro). Also been contemplating an overpowder wad, if that may help reduce leading, if need be.

To be honest, if I can get good consistency from the 413 gr maxi, even with 80 grains, I'll keep it at is. It's plenty to go through a carolina whitetail.

D Crockett
09-25-2013, 12:02 PM
RWE you might want to try using the bullet lube that has been around for 200 years or more 75% bees wax 25% lard use unsalted kind of lard D Crockett

RWE
09-25-2013, 12:15 PM
RWE you might want to try using the bullet lube that has been around for 200 years or more 75% bees wax 25% lard use unsalted kind of lard D Crockett

Thanks sir.

Bees wax alone, or reduced?

My supply of BW is a tub of what looks like itty bitty wax granules.

geargnasher
09-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Use Emmert's lube. 50% beeswax, 40% Crisco veggie shortening, 10% Canola oil. Melt together in double boiler and use that.

Your issue is using solvent instead of oil/hydrogenated oil to soften your beeswax. If the above is too soft for your liking, increase the beeswax percentage until it is firm enough.

Gear

44man
09-26-2013, 09:30 AM
The fit is perfect and I would not change it, pure lead maxi balls will go down (are you using pure?)
You should not use plain beeswax, it will not soften fouling and the next load will need a hammer.
Follow what the guys say or look up BP lubes, there are a million recipes.
Do NOT use Alox with BP or subs.
The primary purpose of the lube is to keep fouling soft for the length of the barrel so you can push it down with the next load or shoot it out with a BPCR round.

groovy mike
09-26-2013, 09:47 AM
A non-traditional option is to use smaller bullets in 54 cal plastic sabots. Thats what I do with the 54 cal hawken. Of courseanother option is to but a slightly smaller mold for your maxi balls....or change the alloy to get a smaller bullet

country gent
09-26-2013, 10:03 AM
I use the emmerts lube in my cartridge guns with gret results my mix is 50% beeswax 40% crisco 5% canola oil 5% lanolin anyahydrous.

243winxb
09-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Maxi balls are not one diameter. The base is smaller. Only the front of the bullet contacts the rifling on loading. My guess is, you not casting with pure lead. T/C maxi's have small base like these > http://www.neihandtools.com/catpages/cat_pg2.htm