PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a good air rifle that is a true mousefart rifle

possom813
09-24-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm looking for a good air rifle that is exceptionally quiet, gamo price range.

I have a Gamo Big Cat 1200, it works, but I'd like to find something that is close to the same in performance, but quieter.

Anyone have experience with the air rifles with the built in suppressors? Or have any opinions or ideas?

possom813
09-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Also, I'd rather it have open sights instead of a scope. I find the scope is more of a hassle for the shots I make with an air rifle.

I'm really digging the Silent Cat, but I have no experience with them, and would like any info on how quiet it is.

HARRYMPOPE
09-24-2013, 10:26 PM
I have a Benji NP 22 with the silencer.Many have poo-poo'd the gun but i find it very quiet and accurate.It sounds like a big stapler.I did find i had to do trigger work to shoot it well though.Now a local shop has some refurbished ones with a CenterPoint 3-9 and Synthetic stock for $139.00.I have about 8,000 pellets though mine and had to repair some loose linkage so i might buy one as a back up.
Best i have done is 1/2" at 25 meters with most groups under 1.5".At 50 yards every so often 1.5" but usually about 3/4"-1" bigger.It is my favorite walking gun due to the sling and light weight.

they once offered them with sights and you see the now and again usually pretty fairly priced.

Lead Fred
09-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Sheridan Silver Streak (or blue streak) Blue streak costs less.
Its 20 cal, and way quieter than my crosman 22 cal.

Pakprotector
09-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Sheridan Silver Streak (or blue streak) Blue streak costs less.
Its 20 cal, and way quieter than my crosman 22 cal.

Really? I have a few Blue Streaks, and since they have no mufflers, even a well turned up 25 cal Marauder is quiet in comparison, even with just a few pumps in the Streak. Now my 20 cal marauder is darned near silent; not quite enough to take a second shot on say squirrel number two, but it is nearly the quietest AG I have ever heard.
cheers,
Douglas

Iron Mike Golf
10-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Are you up for a build? Crosman 1377 or 1322, carbine barrel, shoulder stock. If you want more power sometime, replace the stock plastic piston with an aftermarket one.

MT Chambers
10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Suppressors are avail. to quit most guns but cost may be more then the Gamo, 12 fpe pcps are very quiet esp. with moderators/suppressors.

W.R.Buchanan
10-04-2013, 08:00 PM
possum: All of the Pneumatic Rifles have a report.

The subsonic spring piston guns don't have a report but you can definitely hear the gun go off.

However in the outdoors the spring piston guns are much quieter since the mechanism firing sounds like a spring being released quickly, which is completely different than a PCP's report as a result of excess air being released as the pellet clears the barrel. Lots of PCP's have suppressors to counteract this.

Springers don't because it wouldn't work.

Now if the gun is Super Sonic then the pellet is going to crack like a .22LR. When I shoot felt cleaning pellets which weigh nothing from my HW35 they crack like a rifle as they leave the barrel, and then go 20 feet.

Randy

Silver Eagle
10-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Keep the velocity sub sonic with a heavy enough pellet. Most airguns are most accurate in the 800 to 1000 FPS range.
Lower down the the action noise by going with a spring piston power plant. As stated in above posts suppressors on a springer are of dubious advantage.
Plenty of choices based on the above criteria depending on how much you want to spend and the accuracy desired.
PCP's can be kept pretty quiet with add on deflectors or suppressors. The Crosman Marauder can be kept relatively quiet with the right tuning. As well as Air Force with built in baffles or add on "bloop tubes". Many European models have built in baffles as suppressors are nearly a default product.