PDA

View Full Version : Gun inventory

DeanoBeanCounter
09-24-2013, 09:25 PM
Question. Does anyone have or know to get a program to keep track of your guns? Preferably Microsoft Office compatible. Something just as important is a program for house hold goods too. I'm tired of taking my chances.
Dean

frankenfab
09-24-2013, 09:30 PM
I would just make an excel spreadsheet. Even then, I would not keep it on my computer. I would keep it on multiple flash drives.

I don't know why I am even giving this advice. I don't have any guns, and don't know anything about them.[smilie=1:

Epd230
09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
I combine two different programs for my inventory.

First is Pen 2.0, and the other is Paper 3.2.

Separate either program is near worthless, but together! The sky is the limit!

searcher4851
09-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Very sound advice, but I have a question of my own. What are guns? :bigsmyl2:

marlin39a
09-24-2013, 09:36 PM
I use a program called "My Gun Collection" by Burnsoft. I got it from an internet search about 2 yrs ago. I have come to like it very much. I had been using "Guntracker" for many yrs prior. It would not work with windows 7 64 bit.

Dale in Louisiana
09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I second the Excel spreadsheet. I keep a copy on my laptop. It's backed up to my Apple Time Capsule, and I regularly copy it to a USB drive that stores elsewhere, as well as keeping it in iCloud.

While you're doing that, you might want to get photos, too.

Yeah, I've heard about the NSA and how it can read all that, but seriously, folks, if they don't know what I am by now, they probably haven't been trying. and compared to some of you here, I'm just a big fluffy bunny.

dale in Louisiana

km101
09-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I also use an Excel spreadsheet as I can configure it any way I want, and am not limited to what someone else thinks I need. And you can do separate sections or sheets for other household items.

I have a copy on a flash drive and a copy on a CD that stays in the safe deposit box. Oh and a paper copy in the gunsafe with blanks that I can add new guns as necessary. This reminds me to update the others!

dtknowles
09-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I just create a folder, take pictures of the gun and picture of serial number and markings and put all the pictures in the folder (electronic folder) but you could print them and put them in a binder or paper folder.

Tim

foesgth
09-24-2013, 10:08 PM
I use a spreadsheet also. I have a tab for shotguns, one for centerfire rifles, one for pistols, and one for rimfire. You might wonder why I have a seperate page for rimfire. It seems that I have some kind of problem with rimfire. They just keep following me home.

Artful
09-24-2013, 10:15 PM
You might wonder why I have a seperate page for rimfire. It seems that I have some kind of problem with rimfire. They just keep following me home.

Gee, I don't see that as a problem

Bored1
09-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Reloaders reference has an inventory program built into it. If you do a google search you can find the program as its free. All sorts of good info including original manufacturers owners manuals, targets, load data, and even a database you can put your favorite loads in. You can also print out as many of the inventory list as you want ot staore wereever you would like. The inventory also lets you add pictures for each gun, piece of equipment, etc.

Love Life
09-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I made an excel spreadsheet. Easy cheese to make, and easy cheese to update. On it I list the model, FULL MSRP, CURRENT replacement cost, and serial number. Additionally I made one for my presses, casting pot, case trimmers, scopes, gun cases, etc.

Then I made one for my consumables. All of this is covered under my USAA renters policy and valuable goods policy. It has saved my bacon more than once. I send it in to USAA twice a year.

That $15 a month I spend for the insurance is well worth the piece of mind it gives me. I would see if your insurance companies offer a valuable goods policy. I'm protected from theft, destruction, loss, etc. If I run my scope over USAA covers that...

I also don't care if USAA knows what I have, unless you really believe your weapon purchase records are totally destroyed when you do your NICS.

Lee
09-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Off Internet. Excel sheet. Saved to 2-3 flash drives. What guns?

Tom Myers
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Question. Does anyone have or know to get a program to keep track of your guns? Preferably Microsoft Office compatible. Something just as important is a program for house hold goods too. I'm tired of taking my chances.
Dean
The Precision Arms Records software is a stand alone application that does not require another software application, will run on just about any machine with a Windows operating system and creates excellent firearm collection lists for insurance purposes or reference.

Check out this link and see if it meets your requirements.

Precision Firearm Records (http://www.tmtpages.com/printarms.htm)

http://www.tmtpages.com/tmtfiles/arm-75.gif (http://www.tmtpages.com/printarms.htm)

http://www.tmtpages.com/balimg/PrintArmsRecord.gif

http://www.tmtpages.com/balimg/PrintArmsImageCtrl.gif http://www.tmtpages.com/balimg/PrintArmsAcsy.gif

http://www.tmtpages.com/balimg/PrintArmsList.gif

Love Life
09-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Thank you, Tom Myers. I'll be using that from now on. Sure beats my raggedy folder with my pictures and printouts.

captain-03
09-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I also use an Excel spreadsheet as I can configure it any way I want, and am not limited to what someone else thinks I need. And you can do separate sections or sheets for other household items.

I have a copy on a flash drive and a copy on a CD that stays in the safe deposit box. Oh and a paper copy in the gunsafe with blanks that I can add new guns as necessary. This reminds me to update the others!

This is my procedure with the expection of adding pictures of each to the CD. -- well, that was before I lost them all in the accident.

Charley
09-25-2013, 11:17 AM
I made an excel spreadsheet. Easy cheese to make, and easy cheese to update. On it I list the model, FULL MSRP, CURRENT replacement cost, and serial number. Additionally I made one for my presses, casting pot, case trimmers, scopes, gun cases, etc.

Then I made one for my consumables. All of this is covered under my USAA renters policy and valuable goods policy. It has saved my bacon more than once. I send it in to USAA twice a year.

That $15 a month I spend for the insurance is well worth the piece of mind it gives me. I would see if your insurance companies offer a valuable goods policy. I'm protected from theft, destruction, loss, etc. If I run my scope over USAA covers that...

I also don't care if USAA knows what I have, unless you really believe your weapon purchase records are totally destroyed when you do your NICS.

Renters policies do have some limits, on guns, jewelry, and some other items. If you have your guns on a PAF, that might be another case, but in renter's (even USAA) there are limits. Read your contract and make sure. This comes from my wife, who just retired from USAA after 40 years...

Love Life
09-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Renters policies do have some limits, on guns, jewelry, and some other items. If you have your guns on a PAF, that might be another case, but in renter's (even USAA) there are limits. Read your contract and make sure. This comes from my wife, who just retired from USAA after 40 years...

I have 2 separate policies. A standard renters insurance AND a separate valuable goods policy. The valuable good policy covers guns, scopes, jewelry, etc. Worth every penny.

Charley
09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
I have 2 separate policies. A standard renters insurance AND a separate valuable goods policy. The valuable good policy covers guns, scopes, jewelry, etc. Worth every penny.
Yeah, a PAF (personal articles floater).

DCM
09-25-2013, 09:47 PM
A friends EX-wife burned a copy of his software before the divorce and presented it at the proceedings, now a Whole Lot of folks know exactly what "josh" has in his collection.
Might want to be very careful with that, just sayin.

Love Life
09-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Yeah, a PAF (personal articles floater).

That is great advice you gave though. I asked specifically if it covered my reloading equipment etc, and have in writing that it does.

Had I stuck with just renters insurance, and my stuff got destroyed or stolen, then I would be hosed.

Baja_Traveler
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
I use the Splash ID app on my cell phone. With it I can customize data entry specific to guns, and its encrypted. The app allows you to send a backup to an email address or another computer. I like it because my inventory is always with me for reference.