PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Sizer/Sizing... Powder coating/Poly coating lead

cundiff5535
09-24-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey guys, I am not sure I am even posting in the correct spot (Mods I apologize in advance, feel free to move me thread if needed). Recently I have seen ALOT of stuff floating around on powder coating and poly coating lead bullets... Since I cant stand it any longer, I want to try it out and see what comes of it. If it works out, I may tie my Cerakoting company into offering a bullet coating solution as well. The problem is, I have never done this type of coating.

Since there are a lot of videos and literature out there, I will do more research on it before moving any further but, I do want to start looking into some of the equipment I may need. Everything I am seeing says after coating the bullets, you must run the bullet through a bullet sizer. All I am seeing in a single stage type bullet sizer. Since I do not cast my own bullets, I dont even know where to start...lol.

I am assuming there are bullet sizing dies (just like brass sizing dies). Who makes the best sizing dies out there? Also, are there only single stage machines or are there ways to speed this up? Time is money so and I have little time to spare as we speak as I am swamped refinishing things.

So... I am looking for recommendations on Dies, Machines, Accessories.... if anyone has a link to process of Powder coat/Poly coat process and how that works, I would appreciate that as well (if not I am sure I can find this info out with no issues)

Thanks for the help here!!

Bobby C

gimling
09-24-2013, 07:59 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171403-Powder-Coating-Boolits
that is the thread for powder coating. I myself powder coat. Its extremely easy and very cheap to get started and maintain.

as far as bullet sizers, Lee makes sizing dies that u put in just about any reloading press.

I bought a powder coat machine from harbor tool and freight, think I paid $50.00, u need an oven that u will NO longer cook it, I got a small one from wal mart for $20.00, and the powder is $5.00 a pound from harbor freight, a pound should coat 2k or so bullets. I cut a piece of aluminum to fit inside the oven, I then take that piece of aluminum wrap it in tin foil( so powder doesn't build up on the plate) with the small oven plate I made I do around 100 bullets at a time. Takes about 5 min to lne up the bullets paint em put em in the oven then let em cook for 15 min at 375 degrees.

bangerjim
09-24-2013, 10:53 PM
I do the same as above. Have coated thousands of rounds successfully.

Here is the info:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method&highlight=Powder+coating

I size all my slugs after casting just to male sure there are no "ringers" in there out of size. All my molds drop almost perfect size boolits.

I then coat ONE time, bake ONE time, and then size again when the slugs are cool. The coating will not come off it you cooked them for 10 min at 400F.

The sizing dies are from Lee and run only about $18. You do NOT need to lube the slugs to go thru the die as the olde wives tales around here say. You CANNOT "lead" your die with a boolit moving at about 0.5 FPS thur the die!!!!!!!!

Pick up a Lee single stage press for about $30. It does perfect sizing! Do not use your turret press as some will not hole the push rod.

bangerjim

leadman
09-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Go to the Boolit Lube section and read the sticky "Simple Hi-Tek Coating"