PDA

View Full Version : mailing a barreled action

Whiterabbit
09-24-2013, 04:12 PM
So, I know there is this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?120004-Mailing-a-barreled-action

But I'm curious how you guys pack up a barreled action? A rifle box is unnecessarily big. but a tube I fear is too small, since the bolt will be sticking out. Or do I wrap that up separately?

And since I don't have a box already, any suggestions on where to go to get one?

I want to ship USPS. In your experience, is the cost of priority mail comparable to first class? More? less? a wash?

Thanks guys!

-S

Zymurgy50
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Pull the bolt, wrap it separate. Go to the local plumbing supply house and get a length of 4"PVC, 1 glue on cap, and a threaded adapter with a screw in plug. Bubble wrap the barreled action so that it doesnt rattle around, once you have the screw in plug threaded in run a screw or two through the adapter into the plug and coat with a layer of glue to keep prying hands off.

wiliamr
09-24-2013, 05:10 PM
That will work fine. Also one of the heavy 4" duty cardboard tubes for carpet with ends with PVC plastic caps inset backwards and screwed in with 3 or 4 screws each would work. I used to have an aluminium tube that had screw on caps, but it got too badly damaged to use any longer

nicholst55
09-24-2013, 05:12 PM
I always pack the bolt separately, wrapped in a cardboard 'envelope;' otherwise it WILL bust a hole in the side of your container.

Whiterabbit
09-24-2013, 05:21 PM
where can I get a heavy duty 4" cardboard tube that is 36 inches long?

waksupi
09-24-2013, 05:31 PM
where can I get a heavy duty 4" cardboard tube that is 36 inches long?

Carpet store.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-24-2013, 06:23 PM
mation

Whiterabbit
09-24-2013, 06:43 PM
looks like I can get a box easily that is 5x5x49. I can shorten it easy but probably stuck with the 5x5 dimension. Keeps me from having to drive to every carpet shop in town looking for someone that speaks English. I'm 0-2 for phone calls.

uscra112
09-25-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't recommend PVC. I bought a barrel once from a guy on evilBay, back when you could sell a barrel on evilBay. He packed it in PVC, with wadded newspaper at each end, and lots of duct tape to keep the end caps on. Suffice to that I received the PVC all right, but somewhere on the way the Post Office fractured one of the end caps, probably by dropping it on end. The barrel had then punched its' way right out thru the tape, and was long gone. If you MUST use PVC, you need 4 inches minimum of very, very dense resilient foam at each end, cut in a tight-fitting cylinder so the barrel can't work it's way past it. Then follow up with masses of reinforced strapping tape.

Whiterabbit
09-25-2013, 03:55 AM
UPS store had a box. I have the parts foamed to holy heck and box taped up with "fragile" and "delicate instruments" stickers. May God bless its journey.

And may God bless my ability to reassemble the action!

Lead Fred
09-25-2013, 04:16 AM
When I sent my M1 to the Garand Man in Chicago, Fed EX had a 30 inch triangle box that it fit in.
Then I sent a second box with the bolt, op rod, and trigger group