PDA

View Full Version : Scrounging dirty range lead

fatelvis
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
I've been thinking of digging out lead bullets from our ranges sand burm to recycle, but was wondering: Do any of you do this and find sand impregnated into the bullets, and it later comes off in the melting pot? If so, does it sink to the bottom, or how do you remove it from the alloy? Thanx-

Freightman
10-28-2007, 06:40 PM
it floats! But it is better to smelt it in a cast iorn pot, it will get into your bottom pour.

targetshootr
10-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Make sure your range is ok with the idea. Normally they don't mind if you pick up what's laying on top but digging might degrade the berm. I've picked up most of a milkcrate since this pic was taken.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/DSCN0050.jpg

beemer
10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
I have been recycling lead from my own range for years. Melt it down in a cast iron pot, flux well and pour into ingots. All the junk, copper jackets and dirt floats to the top and can be picked up with a old spoon. This turns a pot of mixed lead into a consistant batch of ingots. If you try to melt it down as you cast your pot gets dirty and mix will change everytime you add a handfull.

I cast ingots in batches of about 40 lbs. and store in ammo cans with a note describing what is in the mix. (just trying to do my part of this recycling thing)

beemer

OBXPilgrim
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Guess most everything will floating on top - being lighter than lead, unless maybe an A10 Warthog flew by & dumped a string of 30mm depleted uranium slugs into the berm!!

Sometimes some of the junk gets stuck to the sides and bottom of the pot, fluxing usually breaks in loose and brings it on top.

cohutt
10-28-2007, 10:31 PM
A few months ago I posted pics of my summer foray into berm mining. you can see the process from start to finish here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16431&page=2

corrected link

oneokie
10-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Would reccommend removing any plastic and pieces of treated wood. Either is toxic when smelting.