PDA

View Full Version : Warning for those who use the VA for Health Care

Dragoon 45
09-23-2013, 05:06 PM
I had an appointment with one of my VA doctors today. In the course of the appointment, I was subjected to a 5 minute Spanish Inquisition about guns. To give credit to my doctor it was obvious that he did not agree with what he was required to ask me, but he was forced to go through with this. In the course of that inquisition, I was asked if I owned a gun or guns, how they were stored, told about how dangerous they were, and just generally got the whole anti-gun lobby talking points. I answered all his questions with "I decline to answer" thought I felt like saying it was none of their GD business. The truly troubling part from the way the questions were phrased was any answer the Vet might give that was deemed unacceptable by the VA would have the potential to cause great harm to the vet's gun rights.

I have been using the VA for Health Care since I retired in 2004 from the Army and this is the first time I have ever received a grilling like this. I assume this is a recent requirement put on VA Doctors by someone higher up the food chain. I have contacted both my Senators, and my Representative to find out exactly what is going on here, but if experience is any guide I don't expect to get any answer back any time soon.

The only thing I can advise any Vet using the VA is be prepared for this. Also be very careful what answers you give to their questions. Any flippant answer or outrage you express over this line of questioning could cause trouble.

opos
09-23-2013, 05:11 PM
My answer to any intrusive questions is "no"...No is a complete sentence that needs no elaboration...I don't think I'd say "declines to answer" as that's just a red flag to the "fixit fairies" of the world and a reason to question further...I did business with the "Government" at several levels in my working career and found that if they get a straight and direct answer they just write it down and move on...I got lots of personal things in my life that I don't discuss with anyone...especially some paper pusher that is with the Government.

jmort
09-23-2013, 05:44 PM
When forced, I like filling out forms. Use "N/A" a lot or something vague and/or obtuse. It is very hard for a form to get the best of me.

jcwit
09-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Been going to the VA for health care since about 2001. Have NEVER been asked any questions about anything to do with firearms or shooting. Last visit was 7 days ago, so I'm fairly up to date on what's happening there.

I have brought up target shooting to both my eye Dr. at the VA and the Audiologist also at the VA. The eye Dr. there is also a target shooter and we discussed local ranges and clubs in the area and what disciplines both of us shot. The discussion with the Audiologist was what hearing protection I used & went no further.

But then the only depression I suffer from is the price of gas. This statement does not imply anyone else is suffering from any depression, please make note of this.

Bzcraig
09-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Wasn't this posted here a few months ago?

Combat Diver
09-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the update. I've got to stop by the VA this week to see an Audiologist. Army never let the VA know about my hearing aids they give me in 98' and I can't get the batteries from them.

CD

mikeym1a
09-23-2013, 07:33 PM
I've relied on the VA for my health care since the early '80s. I have a disability. I was first asked if I owned guns by the VA 3 or 4 years ago. My stock answer is '...I'm a VietNam Veteran...', and that is all they get. And, yes, they seemed embarrassed to have to ask the question. I haven't been asked that for a while, and if it's starting up again, I suspect it is in conjunction with the start-up of obamacare.

snuffy
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Never got asked a straight up question like that, my last appt. was on 9-10. I DID get a questionnaire about was I contemplating suicide,, said no to EVERY QUESTION. If you even hint you're depressed, you can and will loose your CC(concealed carry) permit. And you WILL be contacted for psych evaluation!

Harter66
09-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Actually it was over 6 months ago . It is happening in non-VA offices too, my Dad got it some time back. The doc finished it w/'' the ACA just gave me another reason to buy more ammo .

FWIW OSHA just dropped an order for all of the employee clinic records for every employee 1/1/08 to 6/1/13 which includes a questionaire for hearing mine goes back to 95'.

jaysouth
09-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I had a VA appointment today at 1300 with my Primary Care Provider. He asked first "did you get your head out of your *** and get a set of 308 dies for your Dillon and quit screwing around with a single stage press? Then he asked how I was feeling and do I need anything besides a cortisone shot today? After the shot, we talked about gardening, bullet casting and the advantages of owning dillons, one dedicated to small primers and one for large primers.

To be sure, there are some Vanderbilt residents and foreign born VA doctors with whom I would not discuss anything other than my immediate medical condition. Ditto for any private practice doctor that I did not know.

Floydster
09-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Ha, I teach a reloading class and my VA doc and his son were some of my students.
He and his son also came to my home for a class on bullet casting.
That's all I have to say about that:)

bruce drake
09-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I got asked the same questions in April during my retirement physical from my Doc at Ft. Leavenworth. I looked at him and said, "I'm a 24-year multiple combat veteran. You are damn right I own firearms and I'll own them until the day I die as well. You want to ask any more stupid questions Captain?"

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-23-2013, 09:51 PM
I think this is done by the urging of the AMA.
My Dr never asked me yet, But I've had a friend who uses a different Dr...I mean Doctors. He has been asked everytime he sees a new one. this has been going on with him since 9/11. Come to think about it... I wonder if there is a 'flag' on his chart ?

MaryB
09-23-2013, 11:43 PM
This came from Feinstein, she more or less said all vets have PTSD and should not own guns. I am not a vet but my last physical the questionnaire I was filling out asked if I own guns. I just crossed it off. Doc said that was what almost everyone was doing. Then he asked if I was going to the range after the physical, he was headed there soon as he finished with me.

leftiye
09-24-2013, 05:28 AM
She should not be allowed to waste air that a human being could use.

Bohica793
09-24-2013, 12:32 PM
She should not be allowed to waste air that a human being could use.

I have no love for Feinstein or any other liberals. That being said, I disagree with the above statement. She has the same right to the oxygen in the air as well as the right to voice her opinions on this or any other topic of discussion. That is what defines this country and separates us from the rest of the world. Unfortunately, a Frenchman (Voltaire) said it best: "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

My real concern is not over Feinstein's opinion, but rather that her constituents continue to reelect her and others of her ilk. It is a sad testament to the decline of our both our ideals and our education system when individuals have neither the critical thinking skills nor the desire for individual achievement and exceptionalism that is required for the continued existence of our republic.

Rant concluded. As you were.

searcher4851
09-24-2013, 02:01 PM
I agree with Bihica793, but only to an extent. Yes, she has a right to her opinion, and to voice it under the FIRST AMENDMENT. The problem stems from the fact that she is in a position of power and is trying to take away our right, granted by our creator and guaranteed to us by the SECOND AMENDMENT. She has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution, and by her attempts to circumvent our rights, has broken said oath and should be scorned at the very least, regardless of her personal beliefs.
JMHO

Bohica793
09-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Which leads back to my concern for the people who continue to reelect her. If the people are willing to relinquish liberty for the illusion of security, they shall soon find they have neither (with apologies to Ben Franklin..).

quilbilly
09-24-2013, 02:34 PM
I have been getting VA care for a number of years and have yet to be asked in politically correct Seattle. If asked, what my answer will be is that "up until a few years ago I was one of the senior outdoor hunting and fishing writers in the Pacific Northwest, what do you think." If asked about danger, my answer will be "my chainsaw scares me more." Recently I have been asked about a new program called "million veterans" or something like that. I looked at the multipage questionnaire and thought "no way".

scarry scarney
09-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Ive been asked one time by a dr office about guns. I replied, duh, Im a Deputy. Shouldn't I have a gun? They didnt ask anymore gun questions....

Swamp Man
09-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I would have told him "Read the Bill Of Rights".

mikeym1a
09-24-2013, 09:31 PM
This has been an interesting thread.

xs11jack
09-25-2013, 01:05 AM
I have had VA care since 2006, and I haven't been questioned here in St. Liberal Louis, Mo. If they ask, I'll just tell them no and thats the answer to all your questions.
Ole Jack

Ajax
09-25-2013, 05:34 AM
I think it depends on your situation and your Dr. That being said i have been under VA psychological health care since 2010. They have never asked me if i own guns. The only thing i have been asked is do i think i am a danger to myself or to others. Both answers are a emphatic no. I have no issues passing NICS/PICS. I think most people get too scared of certain things and lie to keep their gun rights (which they do not even know if they are after them) in the process they don't get the help they may actually need. I for one will fight tooth and nail before they take my guns.

Andy

Uncle Jim
09-25-2013, 08:18 AM
I have a 100% VA disability for PTSD and have had it for 5 years now. I got my CCW in April of this year with no problems. The VA has only asked me if I have my weapons secured at home.

km101
09-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Must be something going around! I have been using the same Dr for more than 5 years (civilian, not VA) and never heard a word about guns. Then at my regular appt. last week as we are discussing prescriptions and routine blood work, he asks about "guns in the home." I said "Doc don't even go there." He didn't say anything else and we left it there. The rest of the visit went normally.

Maybe there is a renewed push by someone high up in the medical hierarchy. But this is the first MY Dr has mentioned it.

horsesoldier
09-25-2013, 01:14 PM
The only time I have been asked was when I was getting consuling at a vet center.Stupid woman wouldnt let it go. Last time I went there.I am 70% disabled vet for PTSD and I have been really worried about guns and the VA.So far no issues, I try to avoid them at all cost.Not to mention the healthcare suxs

popper
09-25-2013, 02:49 PM
read the Bad Oder Care rules folk, it's there.

jcwit
09-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Are you meaning "bad older care"?

If so, I'm 70, and get excellent care at the VA, both Primary, Oncology, Eyewear, Hearing, etc., etc.

opos
09-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Sheriff Andy said I could have a gun as long as I kept the one bullet I have in my shirt pocket.

Ajax
09-25-2013, 06:19 PM
I did not lol.

Andy

Ajax
09-25-2013, 06:19 PM
i received great care when i could get a appointment that is why i have a civilian primary care dr now. But i still see their psych.

Andy

arjacobson
09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I agree with Bihica793, but only to an extent. Yes, she has a right to her opinion, and to voice it under the FIRST AMENDMENT. The problem stems from the fact that she is in a position of power and is trying to take away our right, granted by our creator and guaranteed to us by the SECOND AMENDMENT. She has sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution, and by her attempts to circumvent our rights, has broken said oath and should be scorned at the very least, regardless of her personal beliefs.
JMHO

Plus 1

opos
09-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I did not lol.

Andy

OOps ....busted!!

Dragoon 45
09-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Finally got in touch with Rep Bridenstine's office today. The lady I talked to said they have received a large number of complaints about this, both about civilian doctors and the VA grilling people on guns and their sex lives. She told me this is a new requirement of ObamaCare. The wording of the reg is a little vague but they believe all doctors are required to council a patient about guns every time they see the patient. I was told Rep Bridenstine is against this, but barring a miracle in the Senate, we are going to be subjected to this from now on. It is another of the oh so pleasant surprises that were buried in Obamacare.

Swamp Man
09-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Finally got in touch with Rep Bridenstine's office today. The lady I talked to said they have received a large number of complaints about this, both about civilian doctors and the VA grilling people on guns and their sex lives. She told me this is a new requirement of ObamaCare. The wording of the reg is a little vague but they believe all doctors are required to council a patient about guns every time they see the patient. I was told Rep Bridenstine is against this, but barring a miracle in the Senate, we are going to be subjected to this from now on. It is another of the oh so pleasant surprises that were buried in Obamacare.I'm not a Vet so my Doctors are all civilian docs but if one ever ask me I will tell them to read the bill of rights. If they ever ask me again I'll walk out and find a new Dr.

jcwit
09-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm not a Vet so my Doctors are all civilian docs but if one ever ask me I will tell them to read the bill of rights. If they ever ask me again I'll walk out and find a new Dr.

Better start checking the Yellow Pages! LOL

MaryB
09-27-2013, 01:17 AM
Buried in Obamacare

(c) PROTECTION OF SECOND AMENDMENT GUN RIGHTS.—

‘‘(1) WELLNESS AND PREVENTION PROGRAMS.— A wellness and health promotion activity implemented under subsection (a)(1)(D) may not require the disclosure or collection of any information relating to—

‘‘(A) the presence or storage of a lawfully- possessed firearm or ammunition in the residence or on the property of an individual; or

‘‘(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition by an individual.
‘‘

(2) LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used for the collection of any in- formation relating to—

‘‘(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition;

‘‘(B) the lawful use of a firearm or ammunition; or

‘‘(C) the lawful storage of a firearm or ammunition.

‘‘(3) LIMITATION ON DATABASES OR DATA BANKS.—None of the authorities provided to the Secretary under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act shall be construed to authorize or may be used to maintain records of individual ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition.

km101
09-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks MaryB! Do you have a section # or page # for this? I don't want to have to plow thru the whole thing, but I want a copy to give to my Dr if he ever asks again.

w5pv
09-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I think this the Doctors themselves or maybe the Administrator doing this on their own,I have never had either to ask about my guns at the DeBakey VA Hospital in Houston or at the outpatient clinic in Beaumont,TX

TXGunNut
09-29-2013, 05:09 PM
My docs don't ask, I won't tell. I just carry a CHL because the pic isn't quite as bad and the one on my DL. ;-) The government knows we have guns, I think this is someone else's agenda and they're blaming it on bummercare.
I understand they're asking about sexual activity these days too, can't wait for that one.

MaryB
09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
I would have to dig it out, search for guns obamacare and it should get you there

Thanks MaryB! Do you have a section # or page # for this? I don't want to have to plow thru the whole thing, but I want a copy to give to my Dr if he ever asks again.

savagetactical
10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I quit using the VA last year for ANYTHING when I added my employers insurance to cover my copays and prescriptions and then both went through the roof. They used to accept whatever the insurance paid. That is not the case now, so I no longer choose to use them for any health care needs even though they have sent me numerous letters letting me know I have those "valuable benefits" available to me.