PDA

View Full Version : Gsr ??

Harter66
09-23-2013, 04:45 PM
I was reading a document, that in hindsight was probably just stupid to have even looked at , but it was interesting reading so not a total loss for learning.

It stated that the GSR test looks for lead ,antimony and barium. Lead and antimony make sense but where's the barium come in ? When I think barium I'm seeing that chalky stuff for gastro intestonal x-rays not powder or primer buffer/binders. Anyway I'm game for suggestions or directions as to where to look.....

dbosman
09-23-2013, 05:04 PM
I could just say that some formulations contain barium and we can move on.
Or I can point you at a good article.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0015736884723000
A Note on the Variability of Barium and Antimony Levels in Cartridge Primers and its Implication for Gunshot Residue Identification

J.L. Booker,
D.D. Schroeder,
J.H. Propp

Department of Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Oshkosh, Wisconsin 54901, USA

Harter66
09-23-2013, 06:35 PM
After chewing on it a while I figured that was the source.

firefly1957
09-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Well if they Barium deep enough were would they look for GSR? :kidding:

On a serious note yes the primer is the source i wonder if the new "green" non lead primers still use Barium nitrate?

felix
09-23-2013, 08:40 PM
Barium? Only the sulfate version is safe to use, and it is therefore made drinkable by taste mods for x-ray shoots. All other barium salts are deadly; the chloride version is the commonplace rat poison. ... felix