PDA

View Full Version : Lead sources

bsaride
10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Since I am renewing my shooting after 10 years, I know I have some lead
out in the garage that can be a number of things, ww, solder bar, etc.

I would like to know a good source for buying lead ie: ww, Lyman #2, lino etc.

Also as a starting point what material, hardness is recommended for 30 cal
(30-30) an no more than 2000 fps. This will be fired in my 1908 Marlin once
I finish getting her into a usable condition. I will be using pb and gc 165 gr
molds to start.

wiljen
10-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Living in CA, I'd be calling Art Green 310-274-1283 He's in CA too so shipping shouldnt be too bad and his prices are as good as anybody anywhere.

Misfire99
10-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Midway sell linotype as well as pure lead and no 2 alloy among others. I bought some linotype and the shipping was a lot less then I would have thought. I think that they ship so much stuff they get a break on shipping charges.

Another place that has interesting alloys id roto metals.
Here is a link for one pound block of pure lead:
http://www.rotometals.com/HIGH-GRADE-LEAD-1-Blocks-999_p_9-1683.html
Roto metal has free shipping on orders greater then $99 and less then thirty pounds.

Here is an alloy they have that is 36% Tin with 51% Lead, 1% Copper and 12% Antimony.
http://www.rotometals.com/ALLOY-COPPER-HARD-1-Pound-_p_1-1630.html

I would/will order 25 pounds of pure lead and 5 pounds of the copper hardening alloy. This is thirty pounds and $99.95 This works out to $3.33 per pound of very nice casting alloy. And it works out with shipping and handling to be a little less then Midways No2 alloy. And a better alloy.

Buckshot
10-29-2007, 07:40 AM
.................I don't know where in So. Calif you're located. I live in Redlands and work in Pomona. Checking the Pomona yellow pages there are a BUNCH of places in the area listing lead. I dispatch for a trucking company and each quarter we haul several 44,000 lb loads of lead out of the RSR Furnace in the City Of Industry to Johnson Controls.

I haven't checked with them to see how they sell, or if they will to individuals. Those loads out of RSR is in 5 pieces per trailer load so they'd be a bit tough to get in the old pot :-).

................Buckshot