PDA

View Full Version : Midway USA

Fly
09-23-2013, 01:19 PM
I can,t beleave how dumb Jerry Potterfield think we are.I,m building my Crockett & found I was out
of Tru-Oil.Got to checking price.Cheaper than dirt had 8oz for $8.56 great price.But Midway usa is much
closer & I could get it faster,GREAT.

ChecK this out.Tru-Oil $11.99, $1.50 more but I need it.Go to check out.I get to looking all the add ons,Check this out.
Tru-Oil $11.99
Post,Hanleing & Ins, $$18.94

S&H $3.00
NHRA .07

Total $34.00 for a 8oz bottle of Tru-Oil that most gun store sell for $10.00.
MID WAY USA( Kiss my Butt)

Fly [smilie=s:

lancem
09-23-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Birchwood-Casey-Tru-Oil-Stock-Finish-3-oz-TO22-/190859716081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c702025f1

Under $8 shipped...

Unless I have a big order, Midway doesn't see much of me, the internet is too big to limit myself to one store, and since the nearest town is 60 miles away and there is nothing there to speak of 95% of my shopping is done online.

remy3424
09-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Well, might want to add-on a few more needed items to off-set the "extra" costs and avoid any minimun order charges...I have no problems with them or their shipping costs that many complain about..I will never just order one item, heck check out their sale flier, you can probably find a few things that are price discounted that you can use.

AlaskanGuy
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Midway has totally blown off all of us in alaska that used to use them for stuff. They changed thier shipping methods and now use something called UPS MI... most alaskans rely on usps, as many do not have street addresses, and get their mail via the good old po box... Ups mi ships thing off to some center location on the west coast, and there it sits for weeks till they accumulate what they consider a full load and then it shipps... Sometimes taking 6 to 8 weeks to just leave the central. Totally unacceptable .... Still waiting for the replacement pins for my 308 die's that i ordered before i knew that they changed from usps.. Been two months sense they were marked "shipped" by midway. I wish that i could actually contact larry potterfield.. And let him know that in doing this, they have blown away most of us Alaskans....

Doc_Stihl
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
I just shipped a complete ar-15 minus receiver in parts plus a complete set of parts for another upper receiver for $20.95 for UPS ground shipping.

It costs them money to have a order created, printed, routed, and picked. When I order from midway or anywhere else for that matter, I order enough to justify it.

bangerjim
09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
UPS and handling fees from any supplier will kill you on small orders for misc stuff like that. That is why you drive to the gun store and buy it locally.

I like Midway, but I never place an order with them for under $140. And I have a buddy and we order together and split the shipping costs.

bangerjim

smokeywolf
09-23-2013, 02:25 PM
About the only thing I've bought from Midway is brass, bullets, couple of moulds and a couple of odds & ends. Might put together one order every 1 to 2 years.

Like bangerjim says, small orders make you feel violated.

smokeywolf

dragon813gt
09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Here is what bothers me about the small order thing. There are plenty of online retailers, both bigger and smaller than Midway, that don't kill you with those charges. I will be completely honest and say I see it the most with the hunting/firearms sites. I order a few items from Campmor on a fairly consistent basis. The shipping charges are what they should be and pretty much no handling fee. The retailers are using it as a money maker. I can't really blame them.

That bottle of TruOil is $12.71 on Amazon. Spend $25 to get free shipping. I'm a Prime member so two day delivery is free with no order minimum. Don't limit yourself to any retailer. I go to Amazon first for everything.

Maven
09-23-2013, 03:06 PM
"Don't limit yourself to any retailer. I go to Amazon first for everything."

Amen to that, dragon813gt!

ElDorado
09-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Tru-Oil $11.99
Post,Hanleing & Ins, $$18.94

S&H $3.00
NHRA .07

Alright! Round-up to the nearest buck for the National Hot Rod Association.:razz:

weasel 21
09-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Tru oil is a BANNED product in Ca

ElDorado
09-23-2013, 04:11 PM

I could swear I've seen it in my LGS. Where did you get this information?

Fly
09-23-2013, 04:19 PM
S&H is the BIGGEST rip off there is.Those same employees work in the stock room
to get orders out.Big or small the truck comes every day, & it's just send it.Then

postage & handleing & ins.Give me a fricking break.I have worked to hard for my
money to get ripped off.
Sorry for my rant, but I will NEVER buy another thing from them

Fly

weasel 21
09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
I could swear I've seen it in my LGS. Where did you get this information? you can google it; I found out by trying to buy a bottle on ebay & every single seller would not sell to me as the CARB ( Ca AIR RESOURES Board) regulations. Ive also seen it at my LGS & they told me that they could sell off their inventory.

GARD72977
09-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Alright! Round-up to the nearest buck for the National Hot Rod Association.:razz:
+1
Obama will be after them next. 299 Cubic Inch limit (250 in California and New Jersey)

451whitworth
09-23-2013, 09:49 PM
yup, my bottle says "not for sale in the state of California"

ElDorado
09-24-2013, 05:13 AM
you can google it; I found out by trying to buy a bottle on ebay & every single seller would not sell to me as the CARB ( Ca AIR RESOURES Board) regulations. Ive also seen it at my LGS & they told me that they could sell off their inventory.

It looks like CARB fined Birchwood-Casey $500,000 for some nonsense and BC stopped selling in the state. Good for them. That's the correct response to tyranny - refuse to do business where the government demands homage.

Whether their products are banned is another matter. It looks like it's Birchwood-Casey's call to not sell in California. I doubt if the hippy at the fruit inspection station is going to tear your truck apart looking for Tru-Oil that you just bought at Cabela's in Reno - but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

Fly - sorry about the thread hijack - I do feel your pain. Apparently it's part Midway's business plan to encourage large orders. Amazon gets a lot of my "one each" business because of it, and shopping around is easy on the internet (I see you do that). Good luck to you.

Ajax
09-24-2013, 05:52 AM
I go to amazon first, then anyone but midway. I will not willingly be raped.

Andy

nekshot
09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
ever wonder why every picture of good ole Larry has a BIG grin???!!!!

Rick Hodges
09-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Midway really sucks...you can order a large order to avoid minimum shipping and they will ship half of the order charge the added cost and them double dip you when they ship the back order...they got me once....never again.
I don't have to do business with unethical pirates....

Kull
09-24-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't see how Midway's practices are any different than anyone else. I order a lot of stuff online because of where I live. Small orders will kill you ever time, from anyone. Same thing with back orders. You wanna talk about rape...how about places or sellers, like on Amazon, that want to try and charge you shipping per item? Larry's a smart guy, and contributes heavily monetarily to our cause, so I'll keep buying.

wallenba
09-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Small orders go to Midsouth or Grafs first. I stack my wish list at Midway till I have a larger order with in stock items. Then I wait for a 'promo' x-number of dollars off e-mail. I will still compare prices with all three, and add up entire list. Prices may vary, but the end total with shipping is what I go with.

LynC2
09-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Small orders go to Midsouth or Grafs first. I stack my wish list at Midway till I have a larger order with in stock items. Then I wait for a 'promo' x-number of dollars off e-mail. I will still compare prices with all three, and add up entire list. Prices may vary, but the end total with shipping is what I go with.

I agree with you. I do a lot of business with Midway, but shipping on small orders certainly kills the deal and I go elsewhere because of that.

AlaskanGuy
09-24-2013, 02:31 PM
I wonder what the heck is going on with them.. I used to love doing business with them..

weasel 21
09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
I remember in the 90's doing a lot of business with Midway. I used to get a catalog in the mail every month & I used to call the 1-800 # & usually order the specials on sale that month. They used to have really good deals back then; plus FREE shipping. Then they changed... haven't done business with them since.

Fishman
09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Remember the recent shortage? LOL. Midway didn't scalp and shipped on time: unlike most other retailers. How soon we forget.

Fly
09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Well I ordered 4 nipples from Track of the Wolf, they were sent in the mail with out any of that.
It is your money, so if you wish to spend it that way, go for it.

JMOHOP Fly

mikeym1a
09-25-2013, 12:32 PM
I've gotten burned by 'shipping & handling' quite a few times, because I did not pay attention. I like Midway. I like their personal touch. And most of the stuff I order is at my door within 5 days. BUT, I've cancelled several orders because of that S&H charge. If I get stuff from them, I make sure I order enough to make it worthwhile. But you have to be careful of things off fleabay. Before you bid, you have to check the shipping price. I'd like a lower shipping price from Midway, but, until they do, I'll be limiting my orders to ones over $100.00. mikey

Ajax
09-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Whether or not they donate to our cause is irrelevant. No where in the U.S. should it cost $18 to ship a $8.00 item, plain and simple. only way i use midway is if i have a big order and they have it all in stock no back order.

Andy

dragon813gt
09-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Remember the recent shortage? LOL. Midway didn't scalp and shipped on time: unlike most other retailers. How soon we forget.

That's because they've been scalping you on a daily basis and can afford to not gouge. Their coffers are plenty full already. They're making money off the shipping end, simple as that. I can't be mad at a company for making money. But I can choose to shop at a company that I feel gives me a better deal.

Double B
09-25-2013, 03:21 PM
I've been ordering and receiving supplies from midway for many years....since they shipped for free. Never felt like I was overcharged at all. Fast, accurate service at a competitive price is all I've experienced. Of course the shipping will eat you up on nickle dime orders. It's all laid out on the screen before you click the button and accept it.

w0fms
09-27-2013, 02:32 PM
One thing I should mention is that Midway often charges a Haz-Mat on anything that is at all similar to a chemical.. even if it's not really needed. Like, for example-- getting a Lee sizing die. It comes with a "free bottle" of Alox, right? Midway and Midway only ships that Alox as a "ORM-D Miscellaneous" which is automatically like a $11.50 extra charge. For a "free bottle" that I can pick up locally for $9.

So that is probably why the shipping was $19 for that $8 item...

dragon813gt
09-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Alox is required to be shipped that way. Midway is actually doing it properly. There are also no additional charges associated w/ ORM-D. It's simply a label. Try getting a bottle of Alox in Alaska :)

Fly
09-27-2013, 06:49 PM
Let me say one more thing & I,m though.But if I had a walk in buissness
to day I would be crazy to not sell on the net also.But when charge S&H to people
you would never had come through your door & spend there money.

They already must pay shipping, to buy from you.That's just me.If people think
that's OK, well OK (Wink) Fly

webfoot10
09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
Just make your own TrueOil. Save the shipping costs. Take a pint of boiled linseed oil, Add 1/2 pint of good spar varnish
and mix well. Rub the oil mixture in like linseed oil, buff with a piece of soft canvas, apply as many coats as you want,
buffing between coats. When dry, will leave a hard water resistant finish, for about $10.00.
webfoot10

Kull
09-28-2013, 12:28 AM

Exactly.

Whether or not they donate to our cause is irrelevant. No where in the U.S. should it cost $18 to ship a $8.00 item, plain and simple. only way i use midway is if i have a big order and they have it all in stock no back order.

Andy

Your right, it shouldn't cost more to ship something than the price of the item itself, but it does and at lots of places other than Midway. Everyone is overcharging what I think is fair for shipping these days. Everyone has been raising their rates in recent years. I disagree though that it's irrelevant if they support our cause. Given the choice between two places I'm picking the one that tossed a million bucks to the NRA.

Dframe
09-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Outrageous shipping and handling costs are one of the reasons I buy VERY little from midway. That, and they refuse to sell some procucts to me because I live in Illinois (FAR away from Crook County). Since they don't particularly want my business, I oblige them. They are strictly a "Last Resort" for me now.

Sergeant Earthworm
09-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I think it is great that Larry & Co. give lots of money to the NRA, but I also believe in supporting local businesses as much as possible. Not to mention everything that has already been mentioned.

Midway's selection is pretty good, but their prices and shipping mean I only buy from them when I can't find it elsewhere.

w0fms
09-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Interesting. If there is really no extra charge on the ORM-D Misc for Alox, then Midway needs to know that! You put a sizer in the cart, the shipping goes up by like $13... take it out... it goes right back down.

Probably the ORM-D thing kills the Mail Innovations thing.. but the result is the same. It's not a big deal when you put in a big order, correct, but when stuff was tight earlier this year, it was annoying because I (at least) never was lucky enough to line up in stock stuff to make it worth it... I kinda wish I could have told them to pitch it and send it their normal cheap way.. but there was no way to do that...