PDA

View Full Version : BD45CM is here, but not as designed

AnthonyB
08-22-2005, 12:07 PM
The BD45CM molds are here, but Lee has once again failed to produce what we asked. I am still in the middle of moving and don't have any of my casting stuff located, so I sent a mold to 45 2.1 for testing. I'll let him expound on his testing results, but here is the condensed version - the nose radius is far sharper than we specified, and the nose diameter is .005 larger than specified. We specified .443, and Lee produced .448. According to 45 2.1, the large nose engraved so much that chambering was problematic. The big nose might be the cat's meow in a worn barrel, but not a fresh one. 45 2.1 and I talked about the molds for a while last night, and both agreed they should be returned to Lee. I called Lee today, and they agreed with no discussion - just said send 'em back. Lee didn't offer a discounted price on the existing molds, and I didn't ask. If anyone wants the oversized version let me know and I'll ask Lee if we can split the order. Tony

45 2.1
08-22-2005, 12:21 PM
The mold cast nicely and dropped a .4535" to .454" slug. The back of the nose radius at the front band was 0.448" which engraved heavily in a Ruger P90 and moderately in a Colt commander, both guns have like new throats. The boolits were cast out of 1/2 range lead and 1/2 WW, water dropped and aged 7 days before trials. The large meplat, due to a very small nose rounding radius, on this boolit did not cause any failure to feed in either of the semi autos, 100% feeding, but would not chamber all the way due to land engraving on the nose due to the 0.005" greater nose diameter, but would seat with heavy thumb pressure on the back of the slide. These slugs shot very, very well, grouping on top of one another at 20 yards. They were also shot out of a Bisley blackhawk with the ACP cylinder in. They also shot superbly out of it. This bullet might be ok if you have a very worn throat or use an alloy that is softer, mine were rock hard when tested. I think this might be an excellent bullet for wheelguns or single action revolvers. From the testing, I think the boolit as originally ordered was perfect for our uses.

Catshooter
08-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Gentlemen,

I think I would prefer to receive a mould of the original design.

Now, as is being brought up on another thread, is there additional costs to ship the damaged goods back to Lee? If so, I will pay my share.

Thanks.

Cat

13Echo
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
Agree with Catshooter. I'll pay my share for postage.

Denver
08-22-2005, 10:06 PM
What does this bullet weigh and is there a drawing of the original design?

Ron

AnthonyB
08-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Fellas, I think it best we send them all to Lee but wanted to give the option to someone with a very worn throat to keep what might be a once in a lifetime design. I put a lot of thought into the original design that 45 2.1 drew for me, and am willing to take the heat if the mold I asked for doesn't work. Anyone who wants the oversized version will be on their own! :) I appreciate the offers on shipping money, but sort of figured that was the risk I ran to get a design I REALLY wanted produced. Tony

David R
08-22-2005, 10:24 PM
I am on the fence with this one, I have a 4 cavity Lyman 200 SWC for my 45 auto, but only a 2 cavity for my 45 long colt. I will gladly pitch in for postage and inconvience. What ever you decide is fine with me.

David

AnthonyB
08-22-2005, 11:13 PM
David, you didn't ask for it, but IMO the 45 Colt really needs a boolit heavier than 230 grains. I no longer have a 45 Colt, but never used anything less than 300 grains before a buddy traded me out of my John Gallagher custom Bisley. The 45 Colt seems made for 300-325 grain boolits at around 1000 fps, and I doubt anything in the U.S. could stop such a load. The BD45CM was intended to be the most practical all-around boolit for the myriad of 45 ACP pistols out there, and I think heavier offerings will likely produce better results in the 45 Colt. That said, I think you can have the oversize mold if you want - I'll have to call Lee and make sure we don't have to send the entire run back for them to replace the molds. Tony

gregg
08-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Agree with Catshooter. I'll pay my share for postage.

Same here

David R
08-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Tony, I'll wait for the "right" BD45CM" mold, I just said I was on the fence. My auto has a new Wilson barrel. Not in a hurry anyhow.

David

sundog
08-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Yea, Tony, if Lee 'can' produce the original it's what we contracted for. I'll kick in for postage, also. How's the new digs? sundog

West Creek
08-23-2005, 10:17 AM
I'd rather prefere the original design - I shoot a LBT bullet in my 45 colt. I'd be willing to pitch in for the shipping as well just hollar

West Creek

Char-Gar
08-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Send em back...If you need help with the postage, let me know and I will pitch in.

AnthonyB
08-23-2005, 11:58 AM
I'll have to wait for the one 45 2.1 used for the testing to return, but should be able to get them out by early next week at the latest.
Tony

Catshooter
08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
I don't think Anthony is gonna tell us about the additional postage costs without an arm-bending session and that's dang hard to do over the internet.

I don't have his address anymore, but when I get my new mould his address'll be on it, then I'm gonna send him, I dunno, how does $5 sound? To you guys, not you AB. I aint asking you. [smilie=s: I allready did that and you said no.

I think we should reach a consenus between us and just send him the dough. Not everyone will of course. But every little bit helps and we know Lee aint agonna step up to the plate.

What say you?

Cat

David R
08-23-2005, 09:28 PM
I say I'm in for $5.00.

sundog
08-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Cat, let's see how this plays out before we put a dollar amount on it. This shouldn't be on Tony as he's doing all the work. Gotta see first if Lee is gonna make good then get some moulds to spec, THEN get the Tonymonster (ooops, Tony-meister) to tell us how much per mould the deal is for additional postage. Y'all listening, Tony. That means you have to fess up, pal. Don't want you or anyone else paying my freight. After all this is America, and I am 'supposed' to be responsible for me. To bad the libs don't understand that concept. Seems like I can turn anything into a rant nowadays. sundog

AnthonyB
08-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Fellas, I appreciate all the offers but am hoping to break even despite the return shipping. Several guys included additional funds with their orders(thanks again, and you know who you are) and all those who ordered more than one copy but still paid $56 per mold paid more than their actual shipping charges. My intention was to send any leftover funds to Castpics or Cast Boolits, depending on which needed the funds the most, but the extra money will now go toward the shipping charges. Once the whole thing is done I'll post the amount of any losses and request donations for our two sites. Tony

AnthonyB
08-23-2005, 10:57 PM
I managed to find casting stuff in all the boxes tonight and ran a few of the BD45CMs to test myself. No surprise that mine came out the same as 45 2.1s; I just confirmed the need to send them back to Lee. They shore look purdy and I hope Lee can make the dimensions we paid for. Tony

LAH
08-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Gentlemen if I may..........I've had more than one problem with RCBS and their moulds, having to return several. In each case I demanded they pay the shipping if the mould was infact found faulty by their personel. In each and every case, to their credit, they paid the shipping. Just a thought.

btr-cj
08-25-2005, 07:43 AM
I would hate to profit at the others misfortune but... What are the chances of adding a mould at reorder.

This group buy happened before I joined the group but I sure would like a 6 holer.

Thanks,

C.J.

porkchop bob
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
I would hate to profit at the others misfortune but... What are the chances of adding a mould at reorder.

This group buy happened before I joined the group but I sure would like a 6 holer.

Thanks,

C.J.

I can use two. Can mail funds overnight if needed. Will need name, address, and total to send. In advance, thanks for your consideration. Bob

AnthonyB
08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Guys, I'll check with Lee and let you know what they say. Tony

AnthonyB
08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Fellas, the molds are boxed and ready to go back tomorrow. I will call Lee to ask about adding additional molds, and I added two extra on the original order so have at least one each for both btr-cj and porkchop bob. If anyone else wants me to try to add molds now is the time to sing out... Tony

Lloyd Smale
08-30-2005, 05:39 AM
ill wait feeding is the most critical thing in a 45acp bullet