PDA

View Full Version : Dished versus flat Star Punches

Oregon Coot
09-22-2013, 12:04 AM
I am curious about the value of using dished versus flat punchs in the Star Lubesizer.

Does the dished punch have real utility in setting gas checks or is this just a solution in search of a problem.

I am pretty new at castomg and want to maximize the accuracy potential of a couple of new LBT molds, a 300 LFN GC and a 325 WFN GC I picked up for my 45 Colt.

Thanks for the input guys.

VHoward
09-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Personally I think it is more important that the punch be almost the same size as the die opening for gas checks. For instance if you have a .452 die, then you would use a .450 punch. That way the whole bottom of the bullet gets pushed on.

blikseme300
09-22-2013, 09:03 AM
It is my understanding that in the early days Star's were not used nose first and that the shape of the punch was made to accept the nose of the boolits. I size nose first for both GC and non-GC boolits but use punches that are just smaller than the die hole. FP GC boolits are easy but with Spitzer boolits an aluminum insert is used to push out the boolit as the nose of the next would be damaged otherwise.

It has been my experience that some boolit/GC combinations don't seat well in the Star and with these I first attach the GC using a Lee push through sizer prior to lubing in the Star. More work but casting and reloading is a hobby, right?

cainttype
09-23-2013, 11:30 PM
I believe Veral Smith, of LBT, has recommended cupped punches and nose first sizing through Star sizer-lubricators as a way to keep the gas check square to the boolit shank while maintaining some of their high production potential. The idea being that if there were minor imperfections on the base, like a high spot where the sprue was cut, the base punch's outer edge would still seat the check squarley... Not to mention eliminating the need for multiple nose punches in the same caliber.
I used to "pre-seat" checks with the Stars by laying a 1/8" stainless plate over the sizer-die and pushing the check into place before sizing. The cupped base punch has eliminated the extra step and works well.
I'll continue using them because the idea makes sense. It doesn't add any effort, and even if most of your bases seem perfect it never hurts to fix a potential problem ahead of time.