PDA

View Full Version : I ordered a PID kit

AbitNutz
09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
After reading all the posts about the inaccuracy of thermometers I decided to check mine. In a hobby that likes highly accurate measurement, my thermometer was an epic fail. It seems its' only useful purpose was that of a stir stick.
So I ordered a PID kit from Frozone that I'll switch between my RCBS Pro-Melt and Star lubrisizer heated base.

I'll let you all know how things go...Man I'm glad we have folks like Frozone, Latesmith and others to help me out.

FishingFool
09-21-2013, 10:39 AM
which thermometer did you have and how did you test it?

AbitNutz
09-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Lyman....first used boiling water at home. Then a PID controlled soldering station at work. At every temperature it was off by stupid amounts. At higher temperatures by over a 100 degrees.

el34
09-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Good move. You'll be glad you did it.
It might be wise to get Frozone's guidance for switching it back'n'forth between your pot and Star.

And hey- welcome to the forum!

AbitNutz
09-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Frozone kindly provided that info in our last PM exchange. I almost bought the new Lyman Mag 25 digital pot but none of the places I trust had them in stock. This seemed to be more versatile purchase.

Smoke4320
09-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Frozone's pid works very well .. had a few issues when I first got mine we emailed back and forth till it was all figured out .. shes purring along now like a fine tuned Porsche
having a pid takes all the guess work out .. most of the time I am pouring 150 to 200 bullets and they will only vary 1 grain total in the whole batch