PDA

View Full Version : Cast some 9mm hp today. Not as easy as I thought

capt.hollis
09-20-2013, 10:04 PM
82331 I cast these out of a Lyman mold today , 9mm hp's . I ended up having to remelt half of them, but I got a few keepers. That rod that slides down into them, if it gets a tad cold these will not pour at all, lol. Definitely tested my patience today . Learning more and more each day for sure.

lwknight
09-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Seems you did ok anyway.
I cast some 44cal HPs with a Lee Mold.
Like you , I found that it tested your skills and resourcefulness.

capt.hollis
09-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Seems you did ok anyway.
I cast some 44cal HPs with a Lee Mold.
Like you , I found that it tested your skills and resourcefulness.Thanks Lwk. Yah they will test ya ! It was fun though

HeavyMetal
09-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Keeping the HP pin hot is the tip here!

Buy a hot plate drill a hole in some 7/8 bar stock just a touch longer than your HP pin weld it to a steel plate and set the whole deal on the hot plate set at a touch under medium.

Pin in the "pin holder" turn on hot plate, set mold on lead pot until everything is up to speed melt wise.

Dip corner of the mold in melt until lead won't stick to the blocks then dip sprue plate until lead won't stick.

Insert pin in mold and pour!

Remove pin before cutting sprue repeat the mold dip every 3 or 4 casts alway put the pin in the holder if it isn't in the mold.

Make sure mold is clean, break cleaner, and the problems you've had will go away!

Bzcraig
09-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Heat is your friend with HP for sure. It has a much longer learning curve.

capt.hollis
09-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Keeping the HP pin hot is the tip here!

Buy a hot plate drill a hole in some 7/8 bar stock just a touch longer than your HP pin weld it to a steel plate and set the whole deal on the hot plate set at a touch under medium.

Pin in the "pin holder" turn on hot plate, set mold on lead pot until everything is up to speed melt wise.

Dip corner of the mold in melt until lead won't stick to the blocks then dip sprue plate until lead won't stick.

Insert pin in mold and pour!

Remove pin before cutting sprue repeat the mold dip every 3 or 4 casts alway put the pin in the holder if it isn't in the mold.

Make sure mold is clean, break cleaner, and the problems you've had will go away!got ya heavymetal, Thanks for the great tip there ! Yes I definitely noticed that when the pin got a tad cooler it would not work . Thanks again

WGSNewnan
09-21-2013, 07:11 PM
i also found that mine would cast better if i increased the amount of sprue on the plate.

BBQJOE
09-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I don't know from this separate pin thing. I have a 9mm mold I got from Erik that has hp pins built right in. It's as easy as casting a regular bullet.

1bilmr59
09-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Sounds like your getting better. Keep it up.

williamwaco
09-21-2013, 09:47 PM
It is not difficult to cast good hollow points.

It is just very easy to cast bad ones.

Get the temperature right, keep the pin hot and DON'T EVER SLOW DOWN.

If anything interrupts your cadence, you will likely have to start over to get everything right.

capt.hollis
09-21-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't know from this separate pin thing. I have a 9mm mold I got from Erik that has hp pins built right in. It's as easy as casting a regular bullet.who sells that mold BBQ? What mold is that ? Thanks for the tips guys .

willie_pete
09-22-2013, 06:29 AM
www.hollowpointmold.com

They work great!

WP

HeavyMetal
09-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Eric at Hollowpointmold. com doesn't make molds he converts them.

I have a few single cavity Lyman style HP molds he's done for me and they are great.

he does do other molds types visit his site and see the pictures

detox
09-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Latest October issue of Handloader Magazine 9mm recipe:

Lyman 356242 mould, 120 gr Round Nose, Double lube groove
Linotype alloy because it shrinks less and makes larger diameter as cast from this mould
.357 sizer
4.0 gr Bullseye powder
Winchester brass because it is thinner (chambers easier) than thicker wall military surplus brass.
No mention of primers or lube used.

BBQJOE
09-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Eric at Hollowpointmold. com doesn't make molds he converts them.

I have a few single cavity Lyman style HP molds he's done for me and they are great.

he does do other molds types visit his site and see the pictures
He sometimes has some in stock too.