PDA

View Full Version : Lee six-cavity 358-148-WC

Tatume
09-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Hello Folks,

Today I ordered another of the excellent Lee six-cavity molds to cast for my S&W M686-6. I'm looking forward to wringing out the accuracy potential of this gun. I've never loaded wad cutters before; will I need a special seating stem?

Take care, Tom

PS Paul
09-20-2013, 07:03 PM
You know, I have flat seating stems and round seating stems, but one's first thought might be to use the flat seating stem to seat a full WC boolit.....

I've been using a round stem on wadcutter-syle boolits lately since I was using one to load a button-nose style and left the round seater in the die and loaded up some full wadcutters immediately afterwards.
I can't remember if that Lee has a little bump on top or not, but I would suggest if you only have the round seating stem, don't sweat it too much and just load 'em up. It won't really harm the boolit or make the loading/seating process more difficult or problematic.

Don't know if that helps or not, but if a round stem is all you got, I may have just saved you a little money. Or vice versa.

Dave C.
09-20-2013, 08:33 PM
To get the most accuracy load them flush or slightly below the case mouth. Also load them nose in sprue out.
They shoot better due to a more perfect "base" and you get to tell everyone that you have a custom nose pour mold.
I have loaded and shoot several thousand every year for the past 35 years.

Dave C.

Gunslinger1911
09-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Ha ha - I was just casting with that very same mould about an hour ago ! Yes, has nose bump, I just use "normal" seating stem. Seat flush with case mouth with a pinch of powder and bang away. Fun load !

TCLouis
09-20-2013, 10:51 PM
I cast one time out of mine. Disaster with way oversized boolits.

Not sure the issue, but I had big plans for that mold!