PDA

View Full Version : homemade lanolin & alcohol case lube?

rondog
09-20-2013, 06:07 PM
Wasn't sure where to ask this -

The homemade case resizing lube a lot of people use with lanolin and 91% isopropyl alcohol - is that made with paste lanolin or liquid lanolin?

I thought I'd read it was paste, so that's what I bought. But that stuff is sitting in the bottom of my spray bottle like sludge in an outhouse, and it sure ain't interested in mixing with the alcohol! Did I get the wrong stuff?

Larry Gibson
09-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Works best (I normally use it) with the liquid PURE lanolin.

Larry Gibson

ph4570
09-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I use lanolin oil (liquid). You have the wrong stuff. You need lanolin oil. You can get it on fleabay and some drug stores.

Bohica793
09-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Liquid Lanolin is usually available in your local health food store as well.

41 mag fan
09-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Pure lanolin and STP carb cleaner in the red bottle.

rondog
09-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Liquid - that figures. That's the first thing I found, but I swore the recipe called for paste, so I got some on Fleabay. First I've heard about carb cleaner though?

zardoz
09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I found that liquid lanolin dissolves very nicely in "Iso-Heet".

"Iso-Heet' is probably as anhydrous (water-free) an isopropyl alcohol you can buy easily off the shelf.

It is found back in the automotive section, next to the regular "Heet" fuel dryer.

KYShooter73
09-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I use Lee Sizing Lube mixed in 91%, essentially the same thing as you are doing. Just shake it up before you spray, should work fine. Mine partially drops out of solution every time.

joesig
09-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Paste? It's a wax and should be fairly solid. If you warm up your alcohol/lanolin mix (in pot of boiling water) it will go back in suspension.

DCM
09-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I use a 12:1 91% rubbing alcohol:liquid lanolin solution in a cheap spray bottle.
I shake well just before use, coat the brass in a large zip type bag, close the bag then agitate for a more even coating.
Small bottle from the health food store goes a loooooooooooooooooong looooooooooooooooong way.
I have been working off the same bottle for many years now and have sized many many rifle cases.

Lloyd Smale
09-21-2013, 08:02 AM
ive done it with the solid too. Add a little to some alcohol and just warm it in the microwave for a few seconds before using. Actually i dont use it that way anymore. Ive found the easiest way to lube cases is to put a hundred or so in a shoe box and put a pea size lump of lanolin in the palm of your had and rub it into both palms then work your hands around in the box of cases. Ive never had a stuck case that way and it about eliminates over lubing and the dented cases you get from it. Ive done thousands of 223 like that and ran them through a small base die and have done my largest magnums that way and again it worked slicker then snot. .

btroj
09-21-2013, 10:26 AM
I use it like I would Imperial. A small dab on the fingers every few cases. I just wipe those fingers over the case before sizing.

A very thin film is all that is needed.

jmort
09-21-2013, 11:25 AM
I use the "pure" 99% alcohol and pure liquid lanolin, makes 20 ounces, lasts forever. Spray a small amount and gently tumble lube.

Goatwhiskers
09-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I use STP oil treatment on a stamp pad and have never had a stuck case, of course you do have to wipe it off. Believe it or not I soaked a stamp pad with the stuff over 30 years ago and am still using it. At least there is a use for the stuff, it doesn't do anything for an engine. GW

rondog
09-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Paste? It's a wax and should be fairly solid. If you warm up your alcohol/lanolin mix (in pot of boiling water) it will go back in suspension.

Paste - wax, whatever. It's solid and in a jar, not liquid in a bottle. If there's something it will dissolve in, that would be great. It sure won't mix with the 91% isopropyl I have, and I've already heated the mix, it still separates out into a solid again.

I may just have to do the "dab in the hand and rub 'em all down" method. That will certainly work.

hiram1
09-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Get it at soap goods .com on the net

Wayne Smith
09-22-2013, 05:26 PM
A small dab of that paste stuff is nice in your lube, though. Not too much or it will become very sticky. Don't ask!

FISH4BUGS
09-22-2013, 05:29 PM
I use the "pure" 99% alcohol and pure liquid lanolin, makes 20 ounces, lasts forever. Spray a small amount and gently tumble lube.
That's the key - 99% vs. 91%

r6487
09-22-2013, 06:47 PM
i always heard any water in the alcohol will cause the two to separate after it sits awhile. all the alcohol was for anyway is to spread the lanolin real thin. once sprayed out the alcohol would evaporate and the lanolin would migrate around the cases it was sparyed onto in a couple of minutes.

Newtire
09-23-2013, 12:25 AM
I use the paste lanolin and STP also works great. Last week I bought some Imperial wax case sizing lube. Now I have a case solidly stuck in my .243 small base RCBS sizing die. Never stuck a case in all these years using "homebrew" and the first time I try the one that is said to be the best, I ruin a die. Never will I buy that stuff again!

dilly
09-23-2013, 12:55 AM
i always heard any water in the alcohol will cause the two to separate after it sits awhile. all the alcohol was for anyway is to spread the lanolin real thin. once sprayed out the alcohol would evaporate and the lanolin would migrate around the cases it was sparyed onto in a couple of minutes.

I just did the same thing and got the solid. Pure lanolin is solid! If it's liquid it's got to be mixed with something, so I got pure. So you say if I get 99% alcohol it will still go into solution?

eljefeoz
09-23-2013, 02:40 AM
I use it like I would Imperial. A small dab on the fingers every few cases. I just wipe those fingers over the case before sizing.

+1
That's about all I use

Lloyd Smale
09-23-2013, 07:32 AM
i do it like that often when loading hunting rounds but its a bit slow for progressive loading of 223 or 308. Especialy if your using a case feeder

Gar
09-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I use the anhydrous lanolin wax (the paste stuff) and use 99% alcohol. If it sits for time it will drop out of solution. Just shake it up before spraying. I've tried the 91% alcohol and it doesn't mix in very well.
After reading Zerdoz's response, I think I may try some 'Iso-Heet'.

rondog
09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Picked a bottle of Iso Heet at the FLAPS the other day, gotta try that next.

Newtire
09-24-2013, 08:03 PM
+1
That's about all I use
That's what I did and I found out that the lanolin paste that I got at the health food store did a better job.

garym1a2
09-24-2013, 08:48 PM
I have done this. Just get my hands guey and go to town.

ive done it with the solid too. Add a little to some alcohol and just warm it in the microwave for a few seconds before using. Actually i dont use it that way anymore. Ive found the easiest way to lube cases is to put a hundred or so in a shoe box and put a pea size lump of lanolin in the palm of your had and rub it into both palms then work your hands around in the box of cases. Ive never had a stuck case that way and it about eliminates over lubing and the dented cases you get from it. Ive done thousands of 223 like that and ran them through a small base die and have done my largest magnums that way and again it worked slicker then snot. .

rondog
09-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, the Iso HEET seems to have done the trick, got a batch in the spray bottle and it's working.

frankenfab
09-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Awesome rondog. Thanks for sticking with it and updating us. I have some pure lanolin I was going to use for lube, and now I know what I am going to do with it.

DCM
09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
I use the paste lanolin and STP also works great. Last week I bought some Imperial wax case sizing lube. Now I have a case solidly stuck in my .243 small base RCBS sizing die. Never stuck a case in all these years using "homebrew" and the first time I try the one that is said to be the best, I ruin a die. Never will I buy that stuff again!

1/4"X20 tap proper drill, bolt, washers and some spacers will get the stuck case out.
Drill and tap the flash hole to 1/4-20, spacers just larger than the base of the case, washers on the bolt and "crank" the case out.

rondog
09-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Awesome rondog. Thanks for sticking with it and updating us. I have some pure lanolin I was going to use for lube, and now I know what I am going to do with it.

I have a big plastic tub (mortar mixing tub from Home Depot). I tossed in a big mess o' .303 Brit cases and gave 'em a few spritzes, then mixed 'em around with my hands. The HEET evaporated in minutes and they've been sizing just fine! Tickled, I am.....

Newtire
09-26-2013, 09:22 AM
1/4"X20 tap proper drill, bolt, washers and some spacers will get the stuck case out.
Drill and tap the flash hole to 1/4-20, spacers just larger than the base of the case, washers on the bolt and "crank" the case out.

OK DCM, Sounds like a plan. A pipe nipple ought to work for a spacer. I'll get to it next week first chance I get. Thanks for the great tip!

David2011
09-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Newtire,

DCM's procedure works very well. A 3/8" drive socket a little larger than the case head makes a good spacer. Since the die is tapered, the case is free as soon as it moves just a little. Been there a few times, ALWAYS because I didn't give the alcohol enought time to evaporate from the lanolin and always sizing 5.56 NATO. Never got any other caliber stuck. Haven't stuck a 5.56 case since the first few; just started giving the alcohol more time to evaporate.

Imperial Sizing Wax is great stuff. I prefer it to Dillon or homebrewed lanolin for small batches because the cases aren't left with the sticky residue. Lanolin based lube is still the go-to for large batches, though. Not sure why your case got stuck using it as I have never had that happen with Imperial. I rub my fingers in the wax and then lightly rub it onto the neck, shoulder and base of the cartridge. Enough gets on the rest of the case in the process. If you're willing to try it again, make sure the first few cases are completely covered with the thinnest possible coating so the die is lubricated and a little unevenness in subsequent cartridges won't result in a stuck cartridge.

David

1Shirt
10-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Used Lanolin and alcohol for quite awhile, worked good. Then somebody posted using mix of cheap olive oil and alcohol in a spray bottle. About 1 to 3 ratio. It worked and have been using it for past three or four years. Works well, but you do need to shake it up before you spray. I use it for large batches of brass that I am going to tumble anyway, and that takes care of the oil.
1Shirt!

loaded303
03-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Is this what Lee Sizing Lube is? Lanolin??? Or what is Lee made of that it don't hurt the powder?

Just ordered 16oz lanolin: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANOLIN-OIL-USP-GRADE-100-PURE-SKIN-HAIR-MOISTURIZING-8-OZ-/111288964255?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e956d49f

FIRST: Bought 16 oz pure liquid lanolin oil....How much iso-heet or 99% alcohol do I mix in?

SECOND: After I apply the lanolin/iso-heet mix can it dry first and let it sit a day or 2? Or Immediately size cases...

THIRD: Do I have to wet tumble my cases again before trimming and/or loading? I sure hope not.... :killingpc

Thanks Guys

runfiverun
03-29-2014, 08:50 PM
i'll tell you that you DO NOT want to wet tumble cases with lanolin on them.
the water comes out gunky and junky your pins will be covered with the same black gunk and it's havoc cleaning them off.

use about 4-5 parts of the alcohol to 1 part of the lanolin.
you could also get around to doing what iv'e taken to doing and mix the [solid] lanolin with castor oil.
and use my fingers to apply it.
I use it for case sizing and swaging my own bullets.
you really don't need much.
just remember to use the walnut or corn-cob to clean the lanolin off first.

loaded303
03-29-2014, 09:05 PM
i'll tell you that you DO NOT want to wet tumble cases with lanolin on them.
the water comes out gunky and junky your pins will be covered with the same black gunk and it's havoc cleaning them off.

use about 4-5 parts of the alcohol to 1 part of the lanolin.
you could also get around to doing what iv'e taken to doing and mix the [solid] lanolin with castor oil.
and use my fingers to apply it.
I use it for case sizing and swaging my own bullets.
you really don't need much.
just remember to use the walnut or corn-cob to clean the lanolin off first.

I don't do dry tumble....only set up for wet. I read where the lanolin doesn't affect the powder and primers. I have been using Lee case lube inside the neck and rubbing it on one at a time. Looking for faster and easier and cheaper options. castor oil is not a viable option for me at this point and I do appreciate the tips and ideas. I have been hitting the cases with white scotchbrite after sizing and trimming while in the zip trim. Best Wishes

Newtire
10-21-2018, 10:36 PM
Wasn't sure where to ask this -

The homemade case resizing lube a lot of people use with lanolin and 91% isopropyl alcohol - is that made with paste lanolin or liquid lanolin?

I thought I'd read it was paste, so that's what I bought. But that stuff is sitting in the bottom of my spray bottle like sludge in an outhouse, and it sure ain't interested in mixing with the alcohol! Did I get the wrong stuff?
I use the paste as a resizing lube. Just get it warm in the microwave and only touch it with your fingers ( you'll soon figure out how much to use). I also use it for case forming. Today, I formed some 5.7 mm Johnson Spitfire from .30 carbine cases. For me, I prefer it over Imperial Sizing Lube that everyone raves over. I've also used it to make many .256 Win. Cases from .357. Sounds like you have a good supply. Use it!

Rich/WIS
10-22-2018, 09:05 AM
If you-can't find the liquid most drug stores carry it in a cream form in the breast feeding section. I have used it with Iso-heet and it will dissolve most of the cream but leaves some undissolved solids in the bottle. If the solids bother you strain it through cheese cloth, but the solids were never a problem when I used it. I have found the liquid in health food stores and in stores that sell cosmetics and have even ordered it over the internet (cheapest even with shipping).

lightman
10-22-2018, 09:17 AM
I've never made this type of lube but I do use and like the Dillon lube. I think most of these lubes will separate when left unused and require being shaken before being used. I use a gallon ZipLoc bag and fill it about half full of cases. Two or three pumps on the spray bottle, roll them around a little, dump them out to dry and they are ready to size. I like this better than about any of the many other lubes and methods that I have used.

DocSavage
10-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Anyone try denatured alchohol with lanolin? The batch I made was 10 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin and I think I could get away with 12 to 1.

Vettepilot
02-25-2020, 06:57 PM
Question... I am going to make up some home brew case lube, and I've bought the liquid lanolin already. Instead of mixing it with alcohol, any problem mixing it with acetone? I figure the acetone would be water free, and evaporate away quicker than alcohol. (The fumes/odor don't bother me, and I would be using it outdoors and away from ignition sources anyway.)

(Besides, if women can use acetone to remove nail polish without blowing themselves up, we should be able to safely use it too!! :wink::wink:)

Vettepilot

jsizemore
02-25-2020, 07:49 PM
The alcohol evaporates slower so spreads further especially in a container.

FISH4BUGS
02-26-2020, 10:18 AM

BINGO! The key is the 99%, not 91%

Rich/WIS
02-26-2020, 07:56 PM
Denatured alcohol will NOT work, needs to be isopropyl. Different chemistry.

Good Cheer
02-26-2020, 09:44 PM
Removing anhydrous lanolin is a pain in the patootie.

Vettepilot
02-26-2020, 10:48 PM
So.... what of my idea to use acetone with the lanolin? I really think it would remain liquid and in place long enough to coat well, especially if done in a large, freezer type zip lock baggie then spread out to dry. Then they should dry very quickly and be ready to size.

???

Vettepilot

Hossfly
02-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Never tried acetone, just went with ISO @91% and lanolin liquid @ 12-1 works. I do know if you rush and don’t let the alc flash off you will stick your brass in the die. Acetone might melt a spray bottle ISO won’t.

tomme boy
02-27-2020, 05:01 AM
I have access to pure ethanol. That should work right? Never tried this type before. I tried the RCBS spray lube and proceeded to stick a 223 really bad. Used the rcbs tap and shell remover. Nope! Sent it to RCBS to have removed. That was over 20 years ago and have not tried any other type of spray lube since.

toallmy
02-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Heet works for me .

Larry Gibson
02-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Denatured alcohol will NOT work, needs to be isopropyl. Different chemistry.

I've been using the isopropyl alcohol and lanolin at 12-1 for several years now. Works fine. I use it in a Dillon spray lube bottle (after the Dillon was all used up of course) and just shake it up good before spraying the cases. I use and old gold panning pan with the brass in it. I've had a replacement spray bottle of Dillon's spray lube on the shelf since I got 2 bottles several years ago. The home made lube has worked as well, so well I haven't got around to using the Dillon.

After sizing I tumble (Thumbler) the cases for 15 - 20 minutes in dry pitch free saw dust. That removes the lube easily. The cases are then inspected for defects, any debris in the primer pockets (this is when I clean them) and anything in the case itself.

hiram1
02-27-2020, 12:57 PM
soap goods is a good place to find lanolin..

Dapaki
02-27-2020, 01:33 PM
Question... I am going to make up some home brew case lube, and I've bought the liquid lanolin already. Instead of mixing it with alcohol, any problem mixing it with acetone? I figure the acetone would be water free, and evaporate away quicker than alcohol. (The fumes/odor don't bother me, and I would be using it outdoors and away from ignition sources anyway.)

(Besides, if women can use acetone to remove nail polish without blowing themselves up, we should be able to safely use it too!! :wink::wink:)

Vettepilot

You may get more than your anticipation using Acetone. It evaporates quickly attracting water from the air and can leave condensation on the brass. It's also bad for you to breathe!

toallmy
02-28-2020, 09:03 AM
I ordered a pound of lanolin from Randy Rat a member hear that has bee's wax as well , since - I have used it in multiple projects boolit lube , spray lube , and case lube with wonderful results .
A member hear that has ' recently passed on ' recommended a mix of Vaseline / lanolin as a case lube that I have found to work as well as imperial wax .
I'm sorry if I drifted this thread from spray lube but lanolin is a very useful ingredient give it a try . I find it easily removed with a run through the tumbler or a quick citrus bath .

6bg6ga
02-28-2020, 09:17 AM
I've been using the isopropyl alcohol and lanolin at 12-1 for several years now. Works fine. I use it in a Dillon spray lube bottle (after the Dillon was all used up of course) and just shake it up good before spraying the cases. I use and old gold panning pan with the brass in it. I've had a replacement spray bottle of Dillon's spray lube on the shelf since I got 2 bottles several years ago. The home made lube has worked as well, so well I haven't got around to using the Dillon.

After sizing I tumble (Thumbler) the cases for 15 - 20 minutes in dry pitch free saw dust. That removes the lube easily. The cases are then inspected for defects, any debris in the primer pockets (this is when I clean them) and anything in the case itself.

I also tumble after full length sizing to remove the isopropyl alcohol and lanolin residue. Not a pain to clean up at all. Very little extra for no dented cases or excessive effort to size.

Vettepilot
02-28-2020, 01:54 PM
A bit off topic here as well. If it's your own fired brass, (not range pickup/dirty, muddy, corroded,), is there really any problem doing all your brass prep first and then cleaning the brass?

(In order to obviate the need to clean twice.) I wet tumble only.

Vettepilot

jsizemore
02-29-2020, 10:13 AM
So.... what of my idea to use acetone with the lanolin? I really think it would remain liquid and in place long enough to coat well, especially if done in a large, freezer type zip lock baggie then spread out to dry. Then they should dry very quickly and be ready to size.

???

Vettepilot

How does the acetone react to the ziplock baggie?

I think it might be better to clean the brass BEFORE you run it through dies.

6bg6ga
02-29-2020, 10:36 AM
The isopropyl alcohol works well. It acts as a thinning agent to allow the mixture to adhere to the brass and gives the user enough time to apply the mixture stir well and even let the brass sit for hours before sizing. After a while the alcohol evaporates leaving only the lanolin. After using this mixture for a few years now I am completely satisfied with it as is. When you can apply the mixture on the brass and stir the brass so to speak and then let it alone for 4 or 5 hours and then process it that tells me its a good mixture. I've used the expensive "One Shot" and no matter how thin I put it on or the attention to rolling the cases that I neatly set out on a new cookie sheet just for my sizing process I ALWAYS got some either dented cases or a stuck case. This type of spray just takes too much time. Using the lanolin and isopropyl alcohol allows sufficient time for the mixture to coat the brass just enough to do the job. Having a thinner with a quicker evap time I'm afraid would result in the probability of stuck cases. Acetone is a solvent, which means it can break down or dissolve substances like paint and varnish. That's why it's an ingredient in nail polish removers, varnish removers, and paint removers. Given the choice of acetone or isopropyl alcohol I'll take the alcohol.

Vettepilot
02-29-2020, 03:57 PM
Well, I believe I'll give it a try when I get a chance, and report back. I use acetone for a good many chores, including in my Ed's Red home made gun cleaning solvent. BTW, that stuff works GREAT!!

Vettepilot

myg30
03-01-2020, 08:14 AM
I made Ed’s red minus acetone because I understand the acetone is mostly for removing plastic like shotgun cleaning. Also could ruin finish if got on wood, also might melt any plastic parts like found in some .22 rifles.

Liquid lanolin, ISO Heat in red bottle, plastic baggy, 3-4 sprays, 25-30 pcs brass, shake n rub , dump, replete, size cases and I never reclean them. Great when stored long time or keeps Ammo from getting tarnished if sitting a while.
If you over do the spray or to much lanolin then brass stays kinda greasy and might need a wipe off with rag to keep from attracting dust n dirt depending where you load your mags to shoot.

Just my $ .02 worth, Mike

6bg6ga
03-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Food for thought

Studies have shown that acetone vapor concentrations in excess of 8000 ppm (19.36 mg/m) are generally required to produce signs of central nervous system depression in animals, but concentrations as low as 500 ppm (1210 mg/m) may cause subtle behavioral changes (Morgott, 1993; ATSDR, 1994).A

I don't see any bad effects from using isopropyl alcohol other than some people like myself have to learn not to touch their face. I unfortunately come up with a slight rash when I am in contact with it.

6bg6ga
03-01-2020, 08:17 AM
The chemical is very flammable, so you need to avoid using things like paint and nail polish remover near open flames. Breathing in large amounts of acetone can cause health problems like: Nose, throat, eye, and lung irritation. Sore throat.

Looks like something we should all try out.

My wife uses nail polish remover and I'll tell you it can stink up the house really quick. I'm one of these people that has a problem walking down the soap aisle without sneezing and gasping for breath. I'll personally stay away from acetone.

jonp
03-01-2020, 09:06 AM
I found that liquid lanolin dissolves very nicely in "Iso-Heet".

"Iso-Heet' is probably as anhydrous (water-free) an isopropyl alcohol you can buy easily off the shelf.

It is found back in the automotive section, next to the regular "Heet" fuel dryer.

Iso-Heet is the same as the 91% Isopropyl Alcohol you get a WalMart with a fuel injector cleaner added. The alcohol from WalMart or elsewhere will be cheaper and do the same thing.
C3H8O is the same no matter the name.

HEET uses methanol not isopropyl like Iso-HEET hence the difference in name. Both remove water but I have no idea if both would work the same for lube. Maybe? I do know that in the winter up north I put one 16oz bottle a week of WalMart 91% in each of my Semi's tanks and solved an icing problem I was having.

djryan13
03-01-2020, 12:42 PM
The corona virus scare has cause panic buying of Isopropanol...

Nothing left at Walmart. I was able to find a case of 12 16oz 99% at Amazon for $22. Sold out but you can buy one for $6+

Sigh...

I also like using masks when I dry tumble. This pandemic is putting a crimp on my hobby.

Vettepilot
03-01-2020, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I was telling my brother, "Buy anything you might be needing NOW!" Nearly EVERYTHING comes from China these days, plus other disruptions in supply chains caused by the virus... Many consumer websites are already warning of delays.

I do wonder how bad it will get.

As I mentioned I use acetone for many things in my hobbies and work. Never had a problem but one does have to be careful. Keep it off plastics and finished wood, and watch vapor build up. No big deal. You can buy it by the gallon, but I usually get pure acetone nail polish remover from the dollar store. Handy little bottles. They sell it both pure and "normal" formula, with the "normal" having some oil in it to make it not dry out your skin so much. That formulation might be best for mixing with lanolin for our purposes; who knows? Anyway, I'll experiment with it if I ever get the time....

Vettepilot

rubinschmidt
03-04-2020, 02:12 PM
Coconut oil works pretty well as a lube too. So far it hasn't been snapped up by the panic buyers. Side benefits are you can cook with it when your regular source of lube returns, and it makes both you and your reloading room smell good too.