PDA

View Full Version : P53 Enfield Pictures

Freightman
09-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I used some Rust Renew on the rusty thing turned out pretty good.

59sharps
09-20-2013, 08:32 PM
who is the mfg.? Never seen one w band springs before. Just asking.

Ithaca Gunner
09-21-2013, 08:45 AM

Here's an original. P-53, second model, made by Robins&Lawerance of Windsor VT. in 1856. A contract arm for the British during the Crimean war.

fouronesix
09-21-2013, 11:20 AM
59sharps makes an astute observation. Most pattern Enfields do not have the band springs. I have never owned or messed around with a Nepalese cache Enfield before so have to defer to those who have. Nor have I owned any of the US made or modified Enfields.

The only thing that comes to mind is the band springs on the Nepalese Enfield that Freightman has is an adaptation or were added after the fact to keep the standard Enfield bands in place after finding out that- through hard use and the mixing and matching of parts after refurbing- the standard bands could loosen or end up lost. I know the Springfield M1863 Type 1 didn't have them as a change from the M1861. However because of the problems associated with loose or lost bands on some of the Type 1s, the Springfield M1863 Type 2s did have the band retainer springs. Just some thoughts and it would be good to hear from any students of the Nepalese Enfields on this.

Freightman
09-21-2013, 01:12 PM
It is a Napal/India made Enfield from the cache from IMR I traded for it.

Ithaca Gunner
09-21-2013, 02:04 PM
59sharps makes an astute observation. Most pattern Enfields do not have the band springs. I have never owned or messed around with a Nepalese cache Enfield before so have to defer to those who have. Nor have I owned any of the US made or modified Enfields.

The only thing that comes to mind is the band springs on the Nepalese Enfield that Freightman has is an adaptation or were added after the fact to keep the standard Enfield bands in place after finding out that- through hard use and the mixing and matching of parts after refurbing- the standard bands could loosen or end up lost. I know the Springfield M1863 Type 1 didn't have them as a change from the M1861. However because of the problems associated with loose or lost bands on some of the Type 1s, the Springfield M1863 Type 2s did have the band retainer springs. Just some thoughts and it would be good to hear from any students of the Nepalese Enfields on this.

All second model P-53's had band springs, weather they were made by Enfield, Robbins&Lawerence, Napal, or one of the Tower proofed makers. Most Enfields used in the War between the States were fourth models I believe. If my memory is correct, the P-53 Enfield went through at least five barrel band designs. The Napal gun makers probably just copied what the British had at the time, apparently second model P-53's with band springs.

fouronesix
09-21-2013, 05:16 PM
That makes sense. If the Nepalese armorers copied the 2nd Model then the band springs on the cache rifles stands to reason. Looking at the springs on Freightman's rifle, it appears the springs are unusually wide or have a flattened profile- indicating a Nepalese or copied or non-British manufacture.

fouronesix
09-21-2013, 05:18 PM
That makes sense. If the Nepalese armorers copied the 2nd Model then the band springs on the cache rifles stands to reason. Looking at the springs on Freightman's rifle, it appears the springs are unusually wide or have a flattened profile- indicating a Nepalese or copied or non-British manufacture.