PDA

View Full Version : An Odd Happening While Casting

VTDW
10-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I have been out in the shop casting little 165 gr RD boolits for my .308MX. I ran across an extra box of 290 gr BTB hardcast and decided to put them in the mix. I had a couple dozen or so of boolits sent to me a while back that were the 165s but cast with straight WW and I added them to the mix along with a bit of lino.

Here is the odd thing. I had covered the pot and began to hear pop-ping over and over again about a dozen or so times. It was the gas checks blowing off the boolits which had been sent to me.:-? The fellow that sent them to me to try has complained a bit about accuracy problem with these boolits. It seems to me that some accuracy problems could be happening because of excess lube under the gas checks between the GC and boolit base. I have NEVER has this sort of thing happen before.

What say ye good folks,

Tnx,

Dave

kodiak1
10-27-2007, 07:12 PM
VTDW Very odd I wouldn't have thought that kube would have made a poping maybe he had some moisture under the gas checks.
Anything is a posibility.
Good post on odd happening.
Ken

shooter575
10-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Lube would melt,expand and force off checks.Not unlike freezing a beer or soda bottle. I would cover pot if I were do very many though.
Them checks after being fished out would be aneiled real nice.Ready to re use.

Lloyd Smale
10-28-2007, 05:53 AM
i wonder if he didnt glue the checks on and possible used a water based glue.