PDA

View Full Version : Hatari, the movie [and a question to all you John Wayne fans]

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2013, 10:42 AM
My folks were never John Wayne fans and I am young enough to have not seen the Duke in a Movie Theater. Last night "Hatari" was on TV, I was just going to catch the first hour and then hit the hay. Well, even though I was tired, I got caught up in the movie and watched the whole show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056059/

What a great movie! I am hooked, I want to seen more of the Duke.

During the movie, the announcer mentioned it was filmed in Tanzania and very few stunt doubles used. If they were filming with wild animals...Wholly krap ! I don't think they'd allow a film be made like that today.

I'm pretty sure I am in the minority here, that is not being a long time John Wayne fan. I think I may have seen another John Wayne movie, but I don't recall it? it must not have been memorable.
ANYWAY, all you John Wayne fans, what are some of your favorites ?
What should I look for next ?

theperfessor
09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Not much help here as I like all the JW movies I have seen. Jon, you've got a lot of good viewing to look forward to.

M-Tecs
09-17-2013, 11:06 AM
I like them all but The Shootist is my favorite.

Calamity Jake
09-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Any and all JW movies are goodens.

waksupi
09-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Go to Youtube, and search "John Wayne Full Movie". You will find some good, and obscure stuff!
I thought Hatari was one of his poorest. You want the real westerns, and "The Quiet Man".

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2013, 11:12 AM
great idea Waksupi, I do have the cables to hook up the laptop to the big screen [that's 32" :) ]

BUT really, which one's ?
You guys are just sayin "all of them "
Jon

44Vaquero
09-17-2013, 11:16 AM
McClintock, The Quite Man, my personal favorite's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Bravo!

fishhawk
09-17-2013, 11:18 AM
The only real stinker he did in my mind was "the Conqueror" just wasn't a believable Genghis Khan. In Harms way was good cast a giant shadow another Eldorado there are so so many!

Junior1942
09-17-2013, 11:23 AM
It's hard to find a college film class which doesn't spend lots of time on "Stagecoach." There's a reason for that.

bruce drake
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Hondo. Stagecoach, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Quiet Man, And tons more

The official site for JW Fans: http://johnwayne.com/

Bruce

SciFiJim
09-17-2013, 11:46 AM
OK, let see.....

The Cowboys (superb)

True Grit (Maybe the best)

El Dorado (good...worth watching)

Rio Bravo (good...worth watching)

The Son's of Katie Elder (good...worth watching)

The Quiet Man (don't care for it, but others love it)

Donovan's Reef (a rollicking good time)

The Shootist (Great movie to end a great career)

These will get you started on a great movie marathon.

One of the good things about John Wayne was his ability to attract other top flight actors to appear in his movies.

-edit
Just read some of the above posts.
Dang, how it the world did I forget "McClintock"

44Vaquero
09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
SciFiJim, I forgot about Donovan's Reef, one of the best buddies movie ever!

archmaker
09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Start with the Quiet Man (Irish theme), then McClintock (Call it more of a Comedy), then El Dorado or Big Jake (One of my families favorite).

Dframe
09-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Going against the grain here but I loved Hatari. Mancinis' music was just magnificent, and the fine blend of comedy and adventure made it very enjoyable.

starmac
09-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Some of his very early movies, I didn't care for, but I liked pretty much everything I have seen, western or not. I guess I haven't seen Hatari or the conquerer.
The earliest favorite I personally remember seeing was the war wagon, there are quite a few favorites though.

Gunslinger1911
09-17-2013, 12:34 PM
True Grit, McClintock, Big Jake, Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo, El Dorado, War Wagon. That'll get you started.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Yeah, now you guys are helping me.
Thanks so much for the lists.
Jon

tryNto
09-17-2013, 01:07 PM
War Movies.
Green Berets...
The Longest Day.
In Harms Way.
Sands of Iwo Jima.
They Were Expendable.

Most any of the Westerns.
Hellfighters.

srtolly
09-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Sea chase
Sons of Katie Elder
The Shootist

Kind of a beginning, middle and end of career.
True Grit is one of my favorites.

mongoosesnipe
09-17-2013, 01:15 PM
i love hatari but it does not really represent a "John wayne" movie that being said most of his movies are decent some of them are soso

smokeywolf
09-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Ah shucks Pilgrim, I don't think Mr. Wayne ever made a bad movie. I think I've watched "McLintock" and "El Dorado" more than the others. In spite of the fact that Rock Hudson was a sissy, I also like "The Undefeated". Another that hasn't been mentioned is "Big Jake"

The Quiet Man would be a whole lot better if they'd do a decent transfer on it. When they did the transfer from film to digital they should have spent the money and put it through frame by frame dirt & scratch removal and color, gamma and contrast correction.

I especially liked it when they paired The Duke up with Ben Johnson. "Three Godfathers", "Rio Grande", "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", "The Undefeated" and "Chisum"

Mr. Wayne's favorite role, Ethan Edwards in "The Searchers"

Perhaps the Dukes best war movie, "In Harm's Way"

Also check out "Red River", "The Alamo" and "Hellfighters"

Even liberal Democrats loved The Duke. Kirk Douglas and Jimmy Carter spoke very highly of him.

smokeywolf

Dryball
09-17-2013, 02:39 PM
how about the Fighting Kentuckian, Flying Leathernecks, They Were Expendable, and all the others mentioned. The Duke...a real American!

Hardcast416taylor
09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
All of his movies are favorites with this old fella! Yes, the dialog may seem stiff and not as natural as a normal person would have said it, but the action made up for that. He was nominated quite a few times for the best actor academy award, but was seemingly always passed over for it till "True Grit". When presented the award he quipped "If I knew that wearing an eye patch would have gotten me this award - I would have started wearing one many years ago"!Robert

Horace
09-17-2013, 03:07 PM
One early one "The Big Trail" another good one.

Horace

WILCO
09-17-2013, 03:09 PM
McClintock and Rio Bravo!

"The CowBoys" is my first pick followed by the two referenced above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j8ff1stLc0

olereb
09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
McClintock, The Quite Man, my personal favorite's She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Bravo!

Very good choices,i own all of them on dvd,drives my wife crazy,lol.

TCFAN
09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I like all of them but my favorite is Rooster Cogburn made I think in or around 1975.........Terry

archmaker
09-17-2013, 03:37 PM
I would hold off on the "The Cowboys", once you become a fan . . . it will have more impact.

bob208
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
some non westerns, sea chase, blood alley, north to Alaska, Allegany uprising. westerns red river true grit the searchers.

Freightman
09-17-2013, 04:37 PM
The Searchers is one of my favorites.

dragonrider
09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
+1 on the Searchers, there is also The Fighting CB's, I think that means Construction Battalion, not Cast Booliteers.

avogunner
09-17-2013, 05:35 PM
I love them all but his 1950's westerns/cavalry (anything directed by John Ford) have to be my absolute favorites.....and not just because of the Duke either. His many buddies really made those movies; Maureen O'Hara, Victor McLaughlin, Ben Johnson, Harry Cary Jr., Ward Bond, Pedro Armendariz, etc. There will never be any more like them!

goodolejim
09-17-2013, 05:55 PM
My favorite JW movie is The Searchers

Hogtamer
09-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Hatari made me want to own a Land Rover when I grew up! Fulfilled my dream in 1996....the only Duke movie I wish I'd never seen!82047 My 3rd one of these though and never a regret. Top 3 duke flicks: True Grit, The Cowboys, The Shootist, The Searchers...threw in a free one there!

chsparkman
09-17-2013, 07:29 PM
My favorites were Chisum (sp?), The Shootist, and The Cowboys.

Blacksmith
09-17-2013, 08:13 PM
My favorite, I've seen it many times, is the Quiet Man. I even copied the rein rail on the Irish tub cart in that one for my village cart.
After a few westerns I like a change of pace and want to see something like Sea Chase, Blood Ally or the like.
Since it is all new to you you have a lot of watching ahead of you. Here is the list of all his movies for you to see.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000078/

mroliver77
09-17-2013, 08:23 PM
The Searchers is probably my favorite but that changes as I age.

As avogunner said, his supporting actors really helped bring the movies together! Wayne stood by his buddies when negotiating for new movies.
J

olereb
09-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I forgot about Donovans Reef earlier,that is a excellent movie(funny),its the only John Wayne movie that my wife will watch.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-17-2013, 08:45 PM
gotta love the duke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZNyCQKP3c

fishhawk
09-17-2013, 08:50 PM
But how many have seen "island in the sky"? That was not seen for over 30 years until AMC ran it about 3 years ago.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-17-2013, 08:55 PM
sorry this is the one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btvSE6tVHzQ

Hogtamer
09-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Who can whistle the tune from The High and the Mighty?

fishhawk
09-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Dang you had to say that! Now I can't get it out of my head... [smilie=b:

LUCKYDAWG13
09-17-2013, 09:13 PM
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+high+and+the+mighty+theme+song&qpvt=the+high+and+the+mighty+theme+song&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=BA8D3489C6660ECD6FDABA8D3489C6660ECD6FDA

BNE
09-17-2013, 09:20 PM
ALL OF THEM IS CORRECT!
How about a favorite John Wayne quote thread?
- Mine is "Courage is being scared to death and mounting up anyway."

Patrick L
09-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Lots of great ones mentioned already. Love the Quiet Man, True Grit, The Shootist. Don't forget The Flying Tigers, maybe not the most accurate historically, but still entertaining!

HeavyMetal
09-17-2013, 09:25 PM
This is a Darn tough call!

Red River #1 someday some smart guy will figure it good money to make this one in color, It'll start a whole new generation on the concept of being "Stand Up"

Rooster Cogburn #2 Hepburn ruled that flick, wih the two would have done a third movie.

The Quiet Man # 3 a little long on the sad Irish boy but the last 15 minutes of the movie make it worth the wait!

El Dorado, Rio Bravo Close call for #4 Ricky Nelson tips it to Rio Bravo

The rest are all good flicks and should be seen at least once a year each!

fouronesix
09-17-2013, 09:30 PM
The Duke did fine in Hatari (heck he would do fine even without a script) but the directors and writers were clueless about what that story of Africa was and failed terribly in capturing it. Entertaining, but not very well done. I still watch it now and then.

I like True Grit but Glen Campbell just never could act, so detracts from could have been a truly great movie. Added a popular name, at the time, for box office sales but hurt the movie.

frkelly74
09-17-2013, 09:39 PM
We have the tape Hatari. It is different from the way I remember it in the theater. The shooting match comes to mind , I seem to remember that in the theater way back when, there was lots of beer involved in the shooting match, to get bottles to shoot of course. And one of the people commented that the more they drank , the better they could shoot. Then I think John Wayne laid out a bottle and shot through the top and knocked out the bottom of the bottle without otherwise breaking the bottle. That part is missing from my tape. I thought that it was really fine shooting and have not been able to duplicate it myself. It was also funny when Red Buttons complained about all the deposit money he was losing. I saw it in the theater about 45 years ago I think and this is how I think I remember it.

Hogtamer
09-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Hello Mr. Rat, this here's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and legal service of same....BAM.

Ned's the one with the big scar on his upper lip, where I shot him. What was you aiming at? His lower lip!

That's big talk for a one-eyed fat man (Ned Pepper). Fill your hand you SOB (Duke) and cycles his '94 Winchester and spurs old ???? Horse's name????

FYI. Maureen O'Hara, in today's parlance, was smokin' hot.

grampa243
09-17-2013, 09:51 PM
you have to watch ''McLintock! ''

''Rio Bravo'' is great i love how he carries a winchester everywhere in it..

an Hatari is one of the best.. i really like the part where they have the shooting contest.

most all of them are good. but some of the genres are less liked then others. the good thing is he made movies in many genres. i'm sure if you start watching them you'll soon have many favorites.

sundog
09-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's get going. We're burning daylight. Will Anderson in The Cowboys.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. JD Books in the Shootist.

edit: oops, I erred on the name. It's JB Books. John Bernard Books. Just to set things straight.

Lance Boyle
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
yep some good ones mentioned.

The Quiet Man was probably one of his better recieved flicks. He did a great job in the movie but as a youth it was tough to stomach all that stuff before a fight scene. The older I get and rewatch the more I see it really was a showcase of his acting, unlike some of the westerns. I hate to admit that but it is true. The Shootist was probably his best piece of work though. Saddens me to think back when he passed away I knew I would miss any new work.

McClintock was just too campy for me but it did have some well acted scenes.

Some of his other greats were The Searchers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Fort Apache was also very good although I thought there actions were stupid. After becoming an adult and watching it again, the stupidity of their actions was explained by understanding that it was a story about character as much as anything else.

Another well done movie is The Horse Soldiers. Still a cavalry movie only this one is in the civil war. Well done.

Char-Gar
09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Wayne's favorite movie is mine as well..The Searchers

Hogtamer
09-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Always wanted Duke and Clint to team up....sort of a Horse Soldiers and Josey Wales mix.

Mk42gunner
09-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Sometime around 1993, I watched a John Wayne movie that I had never seen before; and I cannot find it listed in any of the online filmographies I have looked at. It was titled "Wheel of Fortune" in which he played a modern day (1941) lawyer.

I think I taped it, but there have been way to many moves since then, and things really get lost when going from shore duty to sea duty.

Robert

Mumblypeg
09-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's get going. We're burning daylight. Will Anderson in The Cowboys.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. JD Books in the Shootist.

Sundog and I think alike..... I like these two the best but most all are good. As was said, some of the other actors distract from some of the movies.....

smokeywolf
09-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Always wanted Duke and Clint to team up....sort of a Horse Soldiers and Josey Wales mix.

Mr. Wayne didn't approve of the higher level of violence in Mr. Eastwood's movies.

If The Duke was going to get together with another actor named Clint, it should have been Clint Walker.

As far as a remake of "Red River", it shouldn't be done because you could never come close to assembling a cast the equal of Wayne, Clift, Brennan, Carey Sr. and Jr., Noah Beery Jr. and WOW! Joanne Dru.

smokeywolf

Ajax
09-18-2013, 04:57 AM
Here is one of my Favorites speeches by the Duke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQM1oLnMLNU
My favorite movies of his are the quiet man, true grit, McClintock, Sons of Katy Elder.

Andy

ElDorado
09-18-2013, 05:34 AM
The Searchers is my favorite, by far. I'll watch it whenever it's on.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-18-2013, 09:48 AM
well, I watched stage coach last night.
ya gotta love Buck [Andy Devine]

Echo
09-18-2013, 10:35 AM
McClintock is one of my favorite movies. It defines Entertainment. And I'll bet hardly ANYONE remembers one of his very first, where he was Randy (I think), the singing cowboy. When going ino battle with the bad guys he would ride hard - and SING! Honest!

ElDorado
09-18-2013, 04:30 PM
well, I watched stage coach last night.
ya gotta love Buck [Andy Devine]

Andy Devine also co-starred with The Duke in "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance". It's another favorite of mine.

Finster101
09-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Horse's name????

Beau !
With his leg pinned he says "Dammit Beau, first time you ever gave me reason to cuss ya'"

WILCO
09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
gotta love the duke

AMEN!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwdcsPqS1x0

Charley
09-18-2013, 05:09 PM
McClintock is one of my favorite movies. It defines Entertainment. And I'll bet hardly ANYONE remembers one of his very first, where he was Randy (I think), the singing cowboy. When going ino battle with the bad guys he would ride hard - and SING! Honest!

Not Randy, but Sandy, the Singing Cowboy. favorites are Donovon's Reef, The High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, The Shootist, and The Searchers. he also did some terrible stuff, as noted, like The Conquerers. JW as Ghengis Khan just doesn't work. He also did a cameo in The Greatest Story Ever Told, as a Roman Centurion present at the Crucifixtion. "Truly this man is the son of God", delivered in his western twang made you want to burst out laughing!

gspgundog
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Got to love the Quiet Man with the line that causes an eye roll from my wife every time we watch it. "He is a nice stick to beat the lady" And the other great quote from that movie "If you say three you will never hear the man count 10"

bob208
09-18-2013, 10:21 PM
one quote I like was in one of his b westerns. he just hit a guy over the head with his pistol. a woman says you deliberately struck that man. he says " yes mam just as hard as I could "

snuffy
09-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Darn it, this thread just cost me $33.32 for 3 DVD's with 7 JW movies on them. I don't think I've ever seen Daktari. It's on one DVD set with 3 others. It's also been a while since I saw Rio Lobos, I always liked Jack Elam, his cockeyed stare, and toothless grin. Damn fine actor! Him and the Duke are fabulous in that flick. Thanks to Amazon! Should be here tomorrow, can't wait!

I'm sure this isn't the end of orders from the big "A", for John Wayne movies.

snuffy
09-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Sometime around 1993, I watched a John Wayne movie that I had never seen before; and I cannot find it listed in any of the online filmographies I have looked at. It was titled "Wheel of Fortune" in which he played a modern day (1941) lawyer.

I think I taped it, but there have been way to many moves since then, and things really get lost when going from shore duty to sea duty.

Robert

http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Fortune-VHS-John-Wayne/dp/6300209261/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1379560590&sr=1-6&keywords=wheel-of-fortune

Only one left in stock, it's a VHS tape. Must not be very popular, it's apparently not been copied to DVD. Not saying it's not a good movie----.

casterofboolits
09-18-2013, 11:34 PM
My #1 favorite is Big Jake, #2 is The Quiet Man. I watch both on a regular basis.

Mk42gunner
09-19-2013, 12:02 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Fortune-VHS-John-Wayne/dp/6300209261/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1379560590&sr=1-6&keywords=wheel-of-fortune

Only one left in stock, it's a VHS tape. Must not be very popular, it's apparently not been copied to DVD. Not saying it's not a good movie----.

Thanks for finding that snuffy, but at thirty five dollars I think I will pass. IT was a decent movie, just not what you think of when you think "John Wayne Movie."

My guess is that was the last movie he made before WWII.

Robert

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-19-2013, 12:22 PM

snuffy, ya gotta click on "used"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/6300209261/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
there is one for $7.71 plus ship

fouronesix
09-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe has been posted and missed it but I even like the 1947 western film "Angel and the Badman". The Duke as Quirt Evans.

Blacksmith
09-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Darned Internet! Ever since this thread started I have been thinking about the JW movie Sea Chase and trying to remember the name of the island he took refuge on for resupply. I thought I remembered but wasn't certain. So I finally looked it up and I was close just had the spelling off. Well that lead to the history of the film that was based on a book that was based on actual event. Of course the event account mentioned the species of tree they were cutting for firewood, a type I had never heard of. So some further reading showed this tree has blossoms that yield a honey that is popular in New Zealand. Thus my following question:

Jeff or other New Zealanders, what does Rata Honey taste like?

By the way the fictitious island in the movie was Pom Pom Galli.

flint45
09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
the Duke is my favorite, ''searchers'' and ''they were expendable'' are my favorites.

snuffy
09-23-2013, 07:47 PM
After watching Hatari, I MUSTA seen it before, some scenes were familiar. But a great JW movie.

I had forgotten the plot of rio lobo, so it was another great movie to see again. There's just no actors left like Wayne, Elam, and most of the actors in those old movies. Watching the scene in Rio Bravo where John Wayne, Ricky Nelson Dean Martin and Walter Brennan are singing just about brings tears to the eyes, realizing they're all gone now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-23-2013, 09:41 PM
watching Rio Grande tonight. courtesy 'Movies' channel

gspgundog
09-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Just thought of another of his earlier movies "Three Godfathers" about three bandits who rob a bank and end up taking care of an infant after its mother dies in childbirth.

inspector_17
09-24-2013, 10:35 AM
You poor deprived person. To have grown up without ever seeing a JW Movie!! The only good side to this is you have many years to sit back and see them all for the first time. Only a couple of movies of his I didn't like: "The Conqueror" and "McQ". I had nothing to watch one weekend BC(before cable) and watched "The Quiet Man" in B&W. WOW! That and "The Green Berets" are my two top favorites, but so many others to choose from.

beezapilot
09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I remember reading an interview with Bruce Dern who said his career suffered a major hit after "The Cowboys". Hey- aren't you the guy who shot John Wayne?????? You can't do that to an Icon and get away with it even in Hollywood. Still- It is one of my fav JW movies.

beezapilot
09-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I'd read too The Conqueror contributed to his demise- they had a great desert to film in and infrastructure all in place provided at government expense for all the film crew to use while they made the movie- the location??? Nevada proving grounds- most everyone involved with the movie died of cancer.

bubba.50
09-24-2013, 12:12 PM
the shootist, rooster cogburn, & true grit get my votes.

fouronesix
09-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Something I never knew and learned tonight while watching "American Ride".
Wyatt Earp was an early western movie consultant who had a young "gofer" assistant named Marion Morrison! John Wayne later stated he learned most of what he knew of old west cowboys because of the time he spent with Wyatt Earp!

There'll never be another Duke.

gandydancer
09-24-2013, 10:45 PM
The man made well over 200 films some say as many as 250 and I think I've seen most of them lol.

ironhead7544
09-25-2013, 04:45 AM
"The Alamo"

ElDorado
09-25-2013, 04:56 AM
"The Alamo"

That's real good one, and the score was great. I have the music on CD.

Randy C
09-25-2013, 04:58 AM
I love the western's. They are all good.

smokeywolf
09-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Was just watching "They Were Expendable" last night. Good JW stuff and great footage of the Elco 80 ft. model of the PT boats.

dragonrider
09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
"Hatari made me want to own a Land Rover when I grew up!"
For me it was the Jeep FC-170, they called it the cage truck. I've had three of them in the past, wish I still had one.

gandydancer
09-26-2013, 01:14 AM
During the making of Hatari.
According to director Howard Hawks, all the animal captures in the picture were actually performed by the actors; no stuntmen or animal handlers were substituted onscreen.
The rhino really did escape, and the actors really did have to recapture it - and Hawks included the sequence for its realism. Much of the action sequence audio had to be re-dubbed due to John Wayne's cursing while wrestling with the animals. However, a stand-in, "Rusty" Walkley (real name: Mildred Lucy Walkley), was used for some scenes involving Elsa Martinelli.

Also Hatari! (1962). actor Hardy Kruger as kurt muller was so taken aback by the beauty of the land that he bought the film's location and built a small home for himself and a small bungalow hotel for tourists to see the animals. Hunting was forbidden on the property, and later a cattle farm was started with the meat being sold to local hotels. Hardy described his home there as "a sort of African Walden where I can get away from the world from time to time." The business aspects of his property were shut down in 1979, however, due to political unrest. The country (now Tanzania) had closed its borders, effectively killing the tourism industry.

Paul4895
09-26-2013, 01:14 PM
I'd read too The Conqueror contributed to his demise- they had a great desert to film in and infrastructure all in place provided at government expense for all the film crew to use while they made the movie- the location??? Nevada proving grounds- most everyone involved with the movie died of cancer.

Not true as to the Desert Location....The movie was filmed outside of St. George, Utah..Specifically in the Snow Canyon area. And yes the area was supposedly used for nuclear test. Also the film crew brought soil back to the studio to be used on the indoor sets to match continuity. The soil was contaminated.

sniper
09-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Going against the grain here but I loved Hatari. Mancinis' music was just magnificent, and the fine blend of comedy and adventure made it very enjoyable.

I'm with you: One of the classics! Red Buttons at his best, too!
Once he learned to speak his lines properly, sometime after WWII, The Duke was one of my favorites, too;
True grit,
The Shootist
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Green Berets
Forgot the names, but the ****** detective in Great Britain, and driving the Green Camaro(?) Firebird(?) in Seattle!

I'm in the minority, but I did not like "The Quiet Man"!

One question: Who was the big, ugly dark-haired dude who played a foreman, or somebody who was always near the boss in a lot of the westerns?

sniper
09-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Last night "Hatari" was on TV, I was just going to catch the first hour and then hit the hay. Well, even though I was tired, I got caught up in the movie and watched the whole show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056059/

What a great movie! I am hooked, I want to seen more of the Duke.

I'm pretty sure I am in the minority here, that is not being a long time John Wayne fan. I think I may have seen another John Wayne movie, but I don't recall it? it must not have been memorable.
ANYWAY, all you John Wayne fans, what are some of your favorites ?
What should I look for next ?

It's not a John Wayne movie, but you'd probably enjoy "The Ghost and the Darkness"...another African tale, about a pair of man-eating lions! Stars Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer.

Outpost75
09-26-2013, 09:45 PM
His best which aren't westerns I watched in 16mm aboard ship in the wardroom back in the day, great motivational stuff:
Bravo Zulu!

Flying Tigers (1942)
They Were Expendable (1945)
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
Flying Leathernecks (1951)
Island in the Sky (1953)
The High and the Mighty (1954)
The Sea Chase (1955)
Blood Alley (1955)
In Harm's Way (1965)

All are available on DVD. Marines report to the fantail for PT. Enlisted ratings not on watch or subject to Article 15 may remain seated for the movie. The smoking lamp is lit. That is all.