PDA

View Full Version : I Need Suggestions For A Lab To Analyze Something

kend
09-16-2013, 11:36 PM
I have a thick liquid and I need to know the composition of it, ingredients, percentages, etc. Any ideas for a lab?

possom813
09-16-2013, 11:52 PM
local college science lab

waksupi
09-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Is it...is it something YOU are leaking?????

Stephen Cohen
09-17-2013, 01:57 AM

God that cracked me up, so funny. Woops I assume you were pulling his chain.

Swamp Man
09-17-2013, 02:21 AM

Oh no. LOL

btroj
09-17-2013, 06:56 AM
That isn't gonna be a cheap assay.

To start, any idea what it might be? Going in blind can make it far more difficult.

Having spent some time as a chemist in an analytical lab I can tell you that you need an idea of what to look for before you can know what is there. Most assays are designed to look for a specific ingredient in a specific mix. An oil base is handled different from a solid or water base liquid.

This type of thing isn't cheap. More ingredients to look for means more money. Generally each thing looked for is a separate charge. You could easily spend hundreds of dollars.

btroj
09-17-2013, 07:52 AM
That is true Bill but those labs are looking for specific metals and other things in the oil, they are not looking to see the actual makeup of the oil itself.

Big difference.

Despite what TV shows this sort of stuff isn't quick and simple. Can't just run a sample thru one device and know all there is to know about it.

runfiverun
09-17-2013, 11:29 AM
and I was all set to send littlegirl to the 6 week ncis course offered at the college on TV.
I figured 2 more weeks would get her a couple of those machines and microscopes that focus perfectly and rotate everything and line it up side by side with other stuff.
she coulda went into business for herself solving crimes by matching up hair and bullets.

well back to plan A................................................. ......................... lottery tickets.

snuffy
09-17-2013, 02:02 PM
My lab would analyze something, then either eat it or roll in it,,---!:kidding:

Oh, you meant laboratory!

jeepyj
09-17-2013, 02:24 PM
My lab would analyze something, then either eat it or roll in it,,---!:kidding:

Oh, you meant laboratory!
Now that struck me funny! I had to read it twice
Jeepyj

LabGuy
09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
The most cost effective way is to find a lab that routinely test the type of sample your dealing with. Many labs have the same equipment, but are not used to different matrixes. For example, they test for lead in blood with the same instrument you test for lead in water, but don’t take the sample to the wrong lab. You might get a price brake from a university that has a program associated with you sample type.

High Lord Gomer
09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Since you guys asked...

The truth is that Kenny carefully constructed the exact mixture of ingredients for a bullet lube that allowed him to achieve 1876 fps out of a 4" 1911 shooting a 230gr boolit with no powder, only the primer, and it left no trace of lead in the barrel. Unfortunately he over-celebrated his achievement that night and no longer remembers how he made it.

quack1
09-18-2013, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=snuffy;2393076]My lab would analyze something, then either eat it or roll in it,,---!:kidding:

How true. As a long time lab owner, it still amazes me as to what those dogs will eat.

btroj
09-18-2013, 07:44 AM
and I was all set to send littlegirl to the 6 week ncis course offered at the college on TV.
I figured 2 more weeks would get her a couple of those machines and microscopes that focus perfectly and rotate everything and line it up side by side with other stuff.
she coulda went into business for herself solving crimes by matching up hair and bullets.

well back to plan A................................................. ......................... lottery tickets.

6 weeks? She a slow learner?

Better buy 2 tickets

runfiverun
09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
well part of the 6 week course is in business management, and knowing everybody in the world so they can say things to her that will jog her memory and send her down the path of finding the right place to go look for those fibers and spents "bullets"

she already has the funny hair colors and tattoos.

btroj
09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Ah, got it.

It will be nice when she can tell you now only the exact composition of your alloy but where it comes from.

Beau Cassidy
09-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Not sure if you found a lab yet but a friend of mine owns A&L Analytical Labs in Memphis. They test all kind of soil and liquid samples. They are on the internet.

Idaho Mule
09-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Send me a small sample (10 cc) plus 10,000 dollars in unmarked bills. Testing will take about 6 months or so but I will do a thorough job. JW

redneckdan
09-27-2013, 08:50 AM
Send me a small sample (10 cc) plus 10,000 dollars in unmarked bills. Testing will take about 6 months or so but I will do a thorough job. JW

I am current working through a 12 million dollar warranty debacle involving a large mining equipment manufacturer, an international lubricant supplier and high level management of the company. I had to have several assays done like you are looking for....so far I've spent about twice what I make in a year...

Blacksmith
09-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Many years ago when I worked in a shipyard they went to launch a ship and it wouldn't slide down the ways. To make a long story short they ended up jacking the ship up, removed the launch cradles, and cleaned the wax lubricant off the ways That wax was collected and tested by both sides as part of a big lawsuit. I don't know what it cost but I know it wasn't cheap.