PDA

View Full Version : Browning Model 81 Take down. 327 magnum??????

A pause for the COZ
09-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Running my brain again. I want a lever action Carbine in 327 magnum.
Not having much luck cracking that nut.
Some one ran this by me and I was wondering if it may be a possibility.
Pick up a Browning model 81 take down in 223 rem and get a new barrel section made chambered in 327 Magnum.
Convert a spare mag to feed the 327 mag cartridges.

Have the best of both a 223 when I want it and a 327 for small game hunting and plinking.

Possible? Can you even get a barrel blank for the 81 in 32 caliber?

leftiye
09-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Converting that mag is gonna really be fun. After you get it blocked off, the shell diameter of the .327 will probly just jump out of the feed lips, double stacking probly won't work either. You might could get them to feed from an M1 carbine mag, and fit that inside the Browning mag.

Mk42gunner
09-18-2013, 01:10 AM
With enough money and lathe time, anything is possible. Cost effective? Probably not.

Like leftiye, I think modifying the magazine will be a problem.

Finding a .312" groove diameter barrel blank, with the correct twist, will be the least of your problems with this conversion.

Robert

leftiye
09-18-2013, 05:40 AM
For .32 barrel blank, see Green Mountain Barrels. Modifying a Win. 92, or a Marlin 94 might be easier.

A pause for the COZ
09-18-2013, 09:16 AM
For .32 barrel blank, see Green Mountain Barrels. Modifying a Win. 92, or a Marlin 94 might be easier.

How so? Would not the bolt need work, Barrel and feed? Basically a whole build.
I talked to a couple guys about converting a Rossi M92 and they said. "You dont want to do that." Plus they said it may not take the pressure of the 327 mag round.

Model 81 take down in 223 just pop a new barrel assembly, head space and I am shooting. Figure out the mag, then I am shooting in volume.( well at least that was my hope :-) )

The only real problem with this project ( other than cost)is a followable path. The money can be managed. With enough time and paychecks.
The part I dont want is waste. I dont want to sink cash into some thing only to get 1/2 way and find out it wont work.
A model 81 is not a cheap donor. Might be $7 or $800 just for the gun. So that would only be a candidate if I can convert it back to original.

I dont know shouldn't be that hard. makes my brain hurt.

Oh thanks for the Link to green Mountain.. Thats nice.

leftiye
09-19-2013, 06:27 AM
A 94 Marlin in .32 H&R would only need the stop on the loading arm moved (filed) back, and the chamber cut deeper. Those 94s are running from about 700 dollars to a thousand, more in the upper area. A rifle in 32-20 would be some harder to fit the bolt face. Could weld the bolt face up and recut the recess to fit .32 mag/327 rim. Would need re barreling, action work maybe. .223 and .32 mag. don't have the same rim size. Numrich Parts Corp. may still have 94 barrels in .32 mag and 32-20.

.223 runs right up there with rifle pressure and is bigger in diameter than .32/.327. Totally idiotic to say that a gun that handles .223 won't handle .327.