PDA

View Full Version : Just waiting on a phone call about my grandfather...

Sweetpea
09-16-2013, 08:19 PM
My grandfather will be passing to the other side shortly...

Kenneth Gowman, 92 years old. WWII Vet, don't know where he served for sure, he never really talked about it.

I was able to take the family on a trip to MI about 2 months ago, and spent some time with him. He no longer knew me, alzheimers has taken quite a toll. I was able to get some nice pictures with him and the family.

I heard from my mother today that along with the pneumonia that he went into the hospital for yesterday, he has an infection in his blood, and his kidneys are shutting down. The decision has been made to treat him for pain only.

He is a father to 4, and a grandfather to 8, with 12 great-granchildren, and 2 on the way.

Last year, when my mother went to see him, she brought back his old Lufkin micrometer, from when he worked tool and die... Not much monetary value, but it will always mean the world to me.

I did notice that his old bring-back rifle is chambered in 6.5 Jap, so I'm pretty sure he served in the Pacific theater.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings, if you knew him, you knew a gentle, quiet man full of greatness.

He will surely be missed.

Brandon

WILCO
09-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Well said Sweetpea. Stay strong and be the rock.

buckwheatpaul
09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
If you can locate his unit or his service number you might get some good clues....just contact the service branch and they might be able to help.....good hunting.....keeping you and your family in my prayers......

Hardcast416taylor
09-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Many vets from WW 2 rarely talked about what they may have been involved in, my brother included. He was with Pattons 3rd armored in the Bastogne relief of the Bulge. All my brother would talk about were the days in England before going to Europe on D plus 14. Glad to hear about the mic you have that was used in his trade days and I agree on the value you set on it.Robert

High Lord Gomer
09-16-2013, 10:52 PM
I am grateful that people like your grandfather gave us the opportunity to have the lives we have today.

Any chance you can post of a pic of your grandfather and/or the mic?

PS Paul
09-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Dad served in 'nam and did not say ONE WORD about the experience except for, "It was lonely". That's it.

He passed from organ failure a month ago. You're a good man to share this with us.

I'll say a prayer with the kids tonight for your Grand Dad's soul to pass peacefully.

Paul

Sweetpea
09-16-2013, 10:59 PM

This is from 2 months ago when we went to visit.

Brandon

R.M.
09-17-2013, 12:28 AM
Great photo. You'll cherish it for the rest of your days.

300savage
09-17-2013, 12:29 AM
priceless picture brandon, they quit making that model of man many years ago.
he has all my respect.
craig

Rick N Bama
09-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Thanks for sharing this with us Sweetpea. My father in law never spoke of his WW2 experiences until I returned home from Viet Nam and then only when I asked something of him.

Rick

Curlymaple42
09-17-2013, 07:42 AM
My wife's grandfather was in WWII and a POW in the European theater. He has opened up a little to me and told me some stories. That is a VERY rare occurance from him or his son, my dadinlaw who was in Vietnam. They came back and started working ad got on with their lives. But the stuff is still there down deep. I feel honored to know both of them and hear a little of their lives back then. Her grandfather is 94. They didn't expect him to live more than a month when he was liberated from the prison camp!

Char-Gar
09-17-2013, 07:51 AM
He will never be gone as long as you have memory. Pass those memories on to another generation and he will be around even for a longer time. I tell my kids the stories about my Grandfather, his father and his father before him. Take time to look up your Grandfathers war history to pass on to your kids. You can get his service record and from there know where he was and what he did in WWII.

My best to you and yours and you walk though this passing of a great man.

Char-Gar
09-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Likely everything about him is in you. It carries on in personality, traits, quirks, likes, dislikes, temper, looks. You just weren't born in the 1920's.

Pure truth Bill...pure truth. Thanks for reminding us all about that.

thekidd76
09-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Hang in there and know he'll be in a better place Sweetpea.

gray wolf
09-17-2013, 08:53 AM
That picture tugged at the heart some, thank you for sharing.
Keep the memories and hold onto what is dear to you.

Sam

Stephen Cohen
09-17-2013, 08:59 AM
That picture said it all Sir, I have one just like it of my Gran dad and I. I know how you feel, but he will live on in you and all the heart he touched. I know mine does.

nicholst55
09-17-2013, 09:47 AM
If your family has the desire, speak to the funeral home director and arrange for an honor guard when the time comes. I was unable to do that for my father when he passed, and I do regret it.

Olevern
09-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Prayers and best wishes for you and yours in this difficult time.

Bad Water Bill
09-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Contact your local V A,V F W or American Legion and tell them his history.

Yes they quit that model many years ago.

blackthorn
09-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Sweetpea---Gail and I wish to extend our prayers and sympathy to you and to your family in this sorrowful time. We will pray that your Grandfather's passing be peaceful, and ask for comfort for you and your's.

Pb Burner
09-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Sweetpea,
Your Grandfather, you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he is as comfortable as possible in his last days. Like others have mentioned, if it were me, I would do some research into his military service. And when the time comes definitely request the military honor guard. He earned it.
Thanks for posting and sharing the photo. Hang in there.

Bad Water Bill
09-17-2013, 12:22 PM
There is a NEW sticky in "OUR TOWN" for info on DD 214s. You might want to try a search there or contact your nearest V A office for help.

Possibly try Bruce Drake or Loves Life on where to get your grandfathers military records.

If you get lucky you might even get records with your grandfathers signature on them. Priceless possession for family keepsakes.

Good luck and we will be praying for the whole family.

tanstafl10
09-17-2013, 03:17 PM
with all due respect--- thank you grandfather!

Sweetpea
09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Just got the word that they have moved him to hospice, with instructions to keep him comfortable.

Doc says 7-10 days.

Brandon

Wis. Tom
09-17-2013, 10:35 PM
My prayers go out to you, your family, and your Grandfather, and also , a quiet "thank you" for the sacrifice he gave, to serve this nation in war. My father is 90 yrs. old, was in the 17th Airborne, and is still living with us. May the Lord give you a peace. God bless.

waksupi
09-18-2013, 12:34 AM
It's a tough thing to go through. Prayers for you all.

TRX
09-21-2013, 09:26 PM
My Dad passed last February, aged 83 years. An aneurysm blew out in his brain, and his last words were that he wanted to go home to die. I signed the papers for hospice, they set up a bed in his living room after moving his recliner out, and he died two days later according to his wishes.

I opted out of the inheritance scrum, but nobody wanted the Taurus .38 revolver he'd bought a couple of years ago, so I wound up with it. I did the paperwork and course for an Arkansas CHL, bought a holster, and think of Dad every morning when I get dressed.

Bad Water Bill
09-21-2013, 09:47 PM
For over 20 years I had to bring in the "DO NOT RESUSCITATE" papers every time one of my folks entered the hospital.

Mom or Dad would always say "bring the papers" but I always felt very uncomfortable.

After mom turned 95 and was in the hospital 3 X in 7 weeks I finally saw the wisdom.

Mom passed in her own home,in her own bed,peacefully in her sleep.

If you are given that responsibility make several copies and spread them around. Yes even a copy in your wallet.

Your folk took care of you for many years and the least you can do is respect their last wish.

Bad Water Bill
09-22-2013, 02:34 AM
A friend had a wealthy grandmother. She had a massive stroke and was put on life support.

She NEVER said 1 word to anyone till her millions ran out about 10 years later.

Suddenly there was a power outage and before the hospital could restore power she died.

Ask yourself,if this is the way you want all of the money you have worked so hard to attain to be spent or would you rather see it passed on to your children and grand children?

Sweetpea
09-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Got back in cell range from my muzzleloader hunt today.

Grandpa passed Thursday afternoon.

The family is at peace with this.

Dean D.
09-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers Sweatpea.