PDA

View Full Version : care of cast iron

bradmugs
09-15-2013, 08:51 PM
I'm new to all this but have everything up and going. About 2 weeks ago converted about 15 gal of range scrap into about 100 lbs of lead. Now I'm looking at the cast iron pot I used and it's rusing - I know how to take care of a food use cast iron pot, what do I do to this one to stop the rust or is that an issue?

Thanks!

Mk42gunner
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
For smelting it really isn't an issue. When you flux the alloy, the rust will come right out.

I never bothered when I used a dutch oven for smelting, but I suppose you could coat it with used motor oil if the rust really bothers you.

I would not clean it to where someone may want to use for food again....

Robert

bradmugs
09-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Thanks, doesn't bother me I just know how important it is to take care of it for cooking, but then taste is more important in that than casting....

Zymurgy50
09-16-2013, 11:19 AM
At the end of the smelting, pour out the last of the lead and while the pot is still hot throw in a hunk of wax, swirl the pot around to cover the inside surface.

NineInchNails
09-16-2013, 03:17 PM
^ ^ ^ That's a good idea (using a coat of wax).

What I found interesting was to strip all rust using muriatic acid. Works like a charm. Dunk anything rusty in muriatic acid and it quickly dissolves all the rust. Just give it a thorough rinse and as long as you keep it protected (wax for instance) it should stay very nice. Nothing a good ol wire wheel could take care of, but I found using acid to be helpful for some little jobs.

shadowcaster
09-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Waxes and oils will all work fine in keeping the rust away. I have also found that a quick spray of WD-40 once the pot cools, will keep your pot rust free. You will get some smoke from the the pot the next time you fire it up, but that's no big deal.

Shad

jsizemore
09-16-2013, 07:25 PM
I have used a heart pine stick to stir and scrape my pots since new when melting lead. I have had zero rust on the insides of the pots and only a light amount on the outside. Lighter wood works too. Before somebody says something about the moisture in the pine, that's the resin cooking and burning off introducing carbon to the melt.

MtGun44
09-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Rust is good, keeps the lead from sticking.

Bill

bradmugs
09-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Wow,lots of great ideas I'll have to try them out....