PDA

View Full Version : Big deer

XBT
10-26-2007, 09:34 AM
When I go hunting coyotes my wife usually rides along and waits in the truck while I call. We were hunting near our home yesterday and just before sunup she spotted a big deer. We watched it for a while, and then went on hunting coyotes as nether one of us had a deer permit. On the way home later in the day we drove past the place we had seen the deer and spotted it again, bedded down in the sagebrush.

My son had a deer license and after we told him about the deer he decided to drive out after work, so at about six that night we went to where we had last seen the deer and to our surprise my wife saw it again, still in the same area. My son made a short stalk and got him, a once in a lifetime deer.

My wife took the credit for being a top deer guide.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/retiredBT/Davesdeer002.jpg

versifier
10-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Wow! That's a nice looking deer. Huge rack. That one would be going on the wall if I shot it, let me tell you.

SharpsShooter
10-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Very nice!

SS

MT Gianni
10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Nice buck. Are your coyotes prime now? Gianni

waksupi
10-26-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a dandy!

XBT
10-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Nice buck. Are your coyotes prime now? Gianni

It's a little early, but most everyone around here starts about the first of Oct. and there are so many hunters now that if you miss the first month your take will be low. If no one was hunting them but me I would not start until Nov. 1.

Four Fingers of Death
10-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Now you can give a cheeky smile to your wife and say, 'that's a hell of a rack dear!' :D
Mick.

357maximum
10-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Is it just me or this junky work monitor....does that bucks toe nails:) look a little long and in need of trimming?

XBT
10-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Is it just me or this junky work monitor....does that bucks toe nails:) look a little long and in need of trimming?

The rear hooves looked normal, but as you noticed both of the front were very long and one was actually twisted at an extreme angle across the other side of the hoof. The deer was living in a sandy area and this might have contributed to the condition. I have seen the same thing happen to cows that were locked in a corral for long periods of time without the chance to move around much.

The deer was fat and in good condition so he wasn’t having any trouble finding enough to eat. I never saw him move faster than a slow walk so I don’t know much how the weird hooves were effecting his movements.

Compared to the usual small bucks taken around here this buck was huge. The outside spread on the horns is 29 inches.

charger 1
10-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Thats amazing. For a deer up here to have a rack like that (which there just aint) it would be a 500 lb deer..They must have a very high protein diet where you are

357maximum
10-28-2007, 07:42 PM
The rear hooves looked normal, but as you noticed both of the front were very long and one was actually twisted at an extreme angle across the other side of the hoof. The deer was living in a sandy area and this might have contributed to the condition. I have seen the same thing happen to cows that were locked in a corral for long periods of time without the chance to move around much.

The deer was fat and in good condition so he wasn’t having any trouble finding enough to eat. I never saw him move faster than a slow walk so I don’t know much how the weird hooves were effecting his movements.

Compared to the usual small bucks taken around here this buck was huge. The outside spread on the horns is 29 inches.

Cool, them would make a sweet deer hoof gunrack..... I thought my eyes were failing me..... maybe he had a playstation and did not move as much as he should eh?