PDA

View Full Version : Headed back to the hospital for another surgery, it looks like.

Recluse
09-15-2013, 12:26 AM
*sigh* Not exactly my year.

Been having some acute pain that has been growing in severity the past few months. Doc says it's the gall bladder and maybe something else as well (some old scar tissue from yet another adventure way back when). In the past six to eight weeks, the pain has been growing steadily worse and more severe, though not really debilitating--but it's headed in the direction and quickly I can tell.

Spent most of Friday morning and afternoon getting bled out, scanned, x-rayed and even had an ultrasound done. All the results will be sent to my doc on Monday afternoon and then I'll talk to her and see what's up.

I self-grounded myself from flying after I took the oldest grandson up for his first ever flight at the end of July. It wasn't but a few days after that that the pain pretty much crossed the bridge and became steady on a 24/7 basis. In the past ten days or so, I've begun running a low-grade fever that the ibuprofen or Tylenol either one has zero effect on. And to frost the cake, my appetite is completely gone and I'm about halfway nauseous the entire time I'm awake.

I'm trying to get this Weimaraner adopted out and would love to be able to offer to fly the dog to his new home or at least help him get a lot closer, but in just the past few days, even driving more than a few miles has become a chore--no way in the world do I need to be up in the plane.

Got both of our "adopted" daughters fawning over me, which is a first. Kinda nice, to be honest. The oldest one was worried sick back in March when I was in and out of the hospital a couple of times for the appendix and then bad infection and abscess. Now she's already planning on how she and the boys will help my wife around the house while I'm out and then help me when I get home. The youngest just wants me to quit hurting all the time, as does my wife.

I'm ready to stop hurting as well.

:coffee:

David2011
09-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear about the surgery but hope you'll be back to your old self soon.

David

TXGunNut
09-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Git-r-done and get to feeling better. Life's too short to be miserable.

mroliver77
09-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Dang JD! You have too much to do to be sick! I will pray for Wisdom for the Doc and for the Lord to heal.
Jay

JeffinNZ
09-15-2013, 04:06 AM
Get better and keep writing.

Ramar
09-15-2013, 04:36 AM
My Prayers are with you.
Ramar

Ajax
09-15-2013, 05:15 AM
I will pray for you JD and the lord truly helps his servants. It's awesome your daughters are there for you.

Andy

smokeywolf
09-15-2013, 05:56 AM
I'm sure you'll push through this just fine. From you're writings I know you're a survivor.
My youngest son had his gallbladder removed at 7 months old; it was full of stones. The stones infants and children get are not cholesterol stones like old folks get; they're called blood stones and are caused by anomalies in blood chemistry.

I too have an "adopted" daughter who used to help me when I was stove up with a ruptured disc in my lower back. It's mighty nice when someone who you did not contribute your genetic material to, treats you and worries for you like your her biological dad. I'm expecting a second grandson from her any day now.

That's my 33 year old (at the time) adopted daughter helping my then 8 year old son with his homework.

Keep us updated. I'll be pulling for you.

smokeywolf

farmerjim
09-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Prayers for you.
May your Dr. find what is wrong and fix it soon.

Jim

Olevern
09-15-2013, 06:24 AM
Prayers going up for your quick and complete recovery.

hardcase54
09-15-2013, 06:33 AM
You have too much to do to be sick. Get better soon. Will include you on my prayer list. God Bless.

Lloyd Smale
09-15-2013, 06:37 AM
hope you find some releif. Being in constant pain is no fun!

eljefeoz
09-15-2013, 08:12 AM
Best wishes,JD

theperfessor
09-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Hope your progress goes as well as mine, and that you get we'll soon.

Last week my father (90 yrs old) had a gall stone removed. Weird thing is he had his gall bladder removed years ago! It formed in what was left of the duct connecting it to the stomach. Puzzled the docs for a while until they figured out the problem. Went in for outpatient surgery, they put a tube w/tools and camera down his throat, got the stone, and dropped it into his upper bowel so he could pass it naturally.

Hope that it is something simple like that for you and that all will be well for you soon.

gray wolf
09-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Please get well soon, We will say a prayer for you. You have had your share of hurting, also Keep us all posted.
Sam

Wayne Smith
09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Your gall duct and pancreas are connected. That was my brother's problem, that and an incompetent doc who mistreated him for a year. Take care of this now, the recovery isn't fun but you can be back to normal functioning soon. Prayers for both you and your docs.

Bzcraig
09-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Dang JD! You have too much to do to be sick! I will pray for Wisdom for the Doc and for the Lord to heal.
Jay

Ditto what Jay said! I know it doesn't make the pain go away but having those youngins around to help out and love on ya sure does make it easier to do what you need to do.

Dean D.
09-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Dang JD, sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I am happy to hear they have figured out why and that you'll be on the mend soon! Take care of yourself, we'll be here waiting when you do feel better. Holler if there is anything we can do.

waksupi
09-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear they have to chop on you again. Mom had her gall bladder out years ago, I seem to recall a short recovery time, and no problems afterwards.
Hoping the same for you.

sparky45
09-15-2013, 11:04 AM
JD, if it's the Gallbladder, it's a one day in and out procedure if they can do the procedure through a scope. I did Anesthesia for over 35 years and GB surgery is routinely done on an Outpatient basis. Get well soon.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Prayin' for ya, and Prayin' for the Doc to have a successful surgery.

jmort
09-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Wife had her's removed and they found/fixed hernia to boot, and she never needed a single pain medication pill. Threw away the bottle after a couple weeks. She has a higher pain threshold than I do. Prior to that, her gall bladder/stones were causing her brutal pain. Praying for full recovery and back to the sky.

Goatwhiskers
09-15-2013, 12:38 PM
Prayers going up for you JD. Got to get you back on your feet, only person I ever met that can out-lie and outshoot me on the same day. GW

snuffy
09-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Damn JD, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all!:kidding:

I'll pray as along with the others for you, the Lord will come through again.

9.3X62AL
09-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Sorry to read about this, sir. Isn't aging a PITA? All the best, from our house to yours, as you confront and overcome this medical challenge.

popper
09-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

slim1836
09-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Prayers sent to you and all those affected. May you get relief soon and a speedy recovery. Hope all goes well.

I just got out from my second surgery on the arteries on each side of the neck(carotid endarterectomy). Still weak but I'll get through it and I know you will to.

Stay strong my friend,

Slim

smoked turkey
09-15-2013, 03:38 PM
JD so sorry to hear of another bout with pain and agony for you. Our prayers are for a smooth and quick time of surgery and for complete and total recovery. Also that you are done with this sort of thing for a long time!

Bzcraig
09-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Jay

Ditto what Jay said! I know it doesn't take away the pain but having those kids close by to help is of some consolation.

firefly1957
09-15-2013, 09:10 PM
Prayers for your full recovery get well soon.

snuffy
09-18-2013, 01:21 PM
JD, what did the docs say? Do I keep praying the same or do I/we increase the effort?

Goatwhiskers
09-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Need a report, anyone heard anything? Maybe JD doesn't feel up to playing on the 'puter yet. GW

waksupi
09-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Well, I know he had BBQ today.

sparky45
09-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Well it must of been successful.

MtGun44
09-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Best wishes - let us know how it went!

Bill

Recluse
09-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Been getting a battery of tests done and the early results are back. Good news/bad news.

Good news is that the gall bladder is okay and isn't the problem.

Bad news is that it's the liver, and that means more tests.

Going to the hospital Tuesday for some specialized scan to see exactly where the cirrhosis is--it's a non-alcoholic cirrhosis caused by excessive triglycerides and cholesterol. The dietician went over my consumption habits of the past few years and is absolutely puzzled as to how the triglycerides can be so high as to be causing damage to my liver. I eat fairly healthy, rarely drink--and when I do, it's only a glass of beer or wine and never more than two beers or two glasses of wine per day. The exercise and activity levels are still good and I could stand to lose ten to twelve pounds, but given my overall muscle mass and bone structure, I've yet to have a doctor anywhere tell me I was even close to overweight. Most compliment me for being in my 50's and still being in the physical shape I'm in.

Go figure. One doctor insists that after age 50, genetics have more to do with your health and overall well-being than just about anything else you do.

I guess we'll find out.

WILCO
09-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Hang tough J.D.

smokeywolf
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Recluse, at least with high triglycerides there's a chance you can get away without the sawbones breaking out his tool kit. Maybe correctable with modern chemistry.

snuffy
09-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Phew![smilie=w:

[QUOTE]
Good news is that the gall bladder is okay and isn't the problem.

Bad news is that it's the liver, and that means more tests.[/QUTE]

I tend to pray for the best outcome, prepare for the worst. God's will always, not mine but thine.

That area of the body is where the pancreas resides. Pancreatic cancer is swift and deadly, unless detected very early. My niece is in the final stages of it, BUT she survived for 4+ years after the Whipple procedure.

Hang in there JD, we'll keep on praying.

Goatwhiskers
09-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Hang in there, JD, ya got a lot more living to do. GW

Recluse
09-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Hell, the only thing I'm worried about is the size of the friggin' horse pills I just came home with. Four times a day I got to choke one of these things down.

Better living through modern chemistry is what I call it.

Goatwhiskers
09-20-2013, 05:45 PM
JD, got a PM. GW