PDA

View Full Version : question about cast rifle boolits from a commercial vendor for rifle calibers

opos
09-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I do not cast my own lead boolits for several reasons. I do shoot a lot of lead..mostly bought from Missouri Bullet for my 45 Colt and for my 44 Special and the 38/357's. I shoot cast over Trail Boss quite a bit because of bad arthritis and the lighter recoil I get with Trail Boss when plinking (I don't hunt). I want to begin loading for my 30-06, 8mm Mauser and even for my 7.62x54r Mosin ammo. I understand Trail Boss makes a nice gentle load with easy recoil and that is accurate out to at least 200 yards...which covers all my shooting right now. I have a whole shelf full of Trail Boss and am very comfortable working with it...I also know the IMR "formula" for developing loads...my question strictly pertains to the projectiles.

First I understand I don't need gas checks with the Trail Boss...is this correct? If it is correct should I be shooting a boolit that is on the hard side...say an 18 or so? Everything I shoot in the handguns putters along at about 700 fps and a 12 works really well and no leading. I'm thinking that the rifle loads at 150 grains or so should move along at 1000fps to about 1500 fps so I think the 12 hardness is just a bit soft and I'd sure like to avoid gas checks.

Anyone load anything like this? Can you point me to a caster that might have rifle boolits available in the proper hardness?

Many thanks
opos

lwknight
09-15-2013, 02:06 AM
Unless you are specifically buying "cowboy load" bullets , most commercial casters use "hardball" which is 15-16 brinnel. Rifle bullets have a longer launch pad so you can get higher velocities without gas checks.

The "cowboy action" bullets are usually sold around a 12 bnh and generally work great up to 1200 or fps
in most guns.

1200 fps in a short barrel like a 9mm pistol would need to be hard hardcast and maybe even a gas check but not always.

Your rifle loads at 1500 fps could very well work out just fine with the right powder and bullet fit at 12bhn without a gas check. A lot of guys get 2000 fps with no gas check but may be using harder alloys.

As far as pointing to a caster, sorry I don't buy commercial so I'm no help.

runfiverun
09-15-2013, 10:39 AM
bullshop or carolina cast bullets are the only two i can think of right off that might have what you want.
the 30-06 could get by with the magma 165 rnfp mold most commercial casters have it, except the nose is generally a bit small.
the 8mm might work fine with a 32-40 bullet depending on your barrels measurements.
the x54 is probably going to want something in the 314-316 area, you'll have to look more to a custom caster over commercial for that one.
keeping the velocity in the 1100 fps area should give acceptable results with any of them.