PDA

View Full Version : Been There, Done That, Didn't work.

Ruger6ppc
09-14-2013, 04:41 PM
As someone new to casting I think it would be of great benefit to have a list of things tried that didn't work. That will save many of us a lot of unneeded trial end error and let us focus on new things that might work.

For example I thought about using heavy aluminum foil for a gas check but I think I read on a post here that it dose not work. (what about glad press and seal?)
Another one was the idea to use dead car batteries for a source of lead.

Having a list to keep from re-inventing a wheel that dose not work would be mighty handy!

jonp
09-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Dead car batteries will work if you are careful to neutralize the acid with baking soda or something

Joe504
09-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Please, don't start the whole car battery thing again.

500MAG
09-14-2013, 05:04 PM
As someone new to casting I think it would be of great benefit to have a list of things tried that didn't work. That will save many of us a lot of unneeded trial end error and let us focus on new things that might work.

For example I thought about using heavy aluminum foil for a gas check but I think I read on a post here that it dose not work. (what about glad press and seal?)

Having a list to keep from re-inventing a wheel that dose not work would be mighty handy!
Smelting dead car batteries will make you dead and possibly your neighbors or anyone else in the vicinity.

theperfessor
09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Leave car batteries alone. The terminals are OK, but not the plates.

snuffy
09-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Dead car batteries will work if you are careful to neutralize the acid with baking soda or something

Here, read this, get smarter;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?138362-Why-Car-Batteries-Are-Dangerous

Leave maintenance free batteries alone,,--or die!

Lead Fred
09-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I only use a .030 veggie wad for the powder to burn against.
To date NONE have burnt though, or melded the filler behind it.

I load my 45 ACP, just like the 45/70. powder up against the primer, veggie wad and filler to hold everything in place.

Gas checks....

Dont need no stinking gas checks.

Keep yer tin foil for something useful, like a hat !

waco
09-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Please, don't start the whole car battery thing again.

like!

waksupi
09-14-2013, 09:52 PM
You've been a member since 2010. Try reading some of the topics and stickies. All of the questions have been answered many times over. Coming up with something like this is just over the top, as an example of someone not willing to do even the LEAST bit of study and research.

lwknight
09-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Agree with waksupi 100%
We simply cannot quantify all the mistakes in a neat little package.
It takes lots of work , study , research , and experience.
And apparently a good bit of argument as well.

jonp
09-15-2013, 06:46 AM
I have never tried it myself and not that desperate with coww, lead sheeting and the venders/members on here and dont recommend it for a number of reasons but it is,possible. I would have to be in a mad max, really desperate place to try it or rent a haz-mat suit with a resperator though

jonp
09-15-2013, 06:48 AM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?138362-Why-Car-Batteries-Are-Dangerous

I was actually thinking of the old type you could take the tops off to add water. No need to be sarcastic, I read that a while ago and "am smarter" about it.

41 mag fan
09-15-2013, 06:49 AM
remarrying my ex wife!! or even having anything to do with her!!

jonp
09-15-2013, 06:54 AM

I read that some time ago. I did not say do it only that it could be done.

Everyone calm down

357shooter
09-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Agree with waksupi and lwknight. To the OP, there a many books that provide great information on how to cast. Start learning, keep researching. You can keep it simple or make it complicated. Most of the info is about what works, which is the most important thing. A list of what doesn't work is unrealistic. Nobody would agree with the list anyway.

btroj
09-15-2013, 07:10 AM
I read that some time ago. I did not say do it only that it could be done.

Everyone calm down

Saying it can be done to a noob isn't that much different than saying to do it. Like it or not you implied that something very dangerous was a viable option.

We don't like that here very much.

jonp
09-15-2013, 07:39 AM
hmmm, you have a point although I have read several threads about reloading different powders for different calibers that were not listed by the manu's which would be dangerous also according to them.
With the internet and specifically Youtube, if someone wants to do something he does not need anyone's help to get in trouble. If the op reads the above closed thread and the warnings about this on that thread and everyone here and is still bent on doing it we are not going to stop him from doing it.
I thought about this myself a little while ago. I read the thread here, watched some video's of guys doing it and the backyard genius's telling people to make sure to stand upwind of the gas cloud. I said to myself "that's not very bright" and abandoned the idea.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Ruger6ppc
09-15-2013, 02:02 PM
You've been a member since 2010. Try reading some of the topics and stickies. All of the questions have been answered many times over. Coming up with something like this is just over the top, as an example of someone not willing to do even the LEAST bit of study and research.

So you don't think a list that has the things that don't work is a good idea, everyone should just read every single post here like you have done. RIGHT?
AND since you have done the least bit of research, you know ALL of the the experiments that did not work. Perhaps you can share say the top 20?
If you don't care to help out, fine. If you do choose to post and give a heads up to fellow casters that great.
If you have nothing to say that actually helps then why post?
As for how long I've been a member and how many topics and stickies I have read (YOU know that as well I suppose) and that this has been addressed many times over, can you show me the list then? A keyword?
What sticky is it?
If it's there, why not just post where it's at? That would have helped.

Ruger6ppc
09-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Agree with waksupi and lwknight. To the OP, there a many books that provide great information on how to cast. Start learning, keep researching. You can keep it simple or make it complicated. Most of the info is about what works, which is the most important thing. A list of what doesn't work is unrealistic. Nobody would agree with the list anyway.

I suppose nobody would agree on what works as well, or agree that what is in the books is correct.
Shouldn't read any posts here as nobody would agree about anything.
Don't even read THIS post. What? still reading? I TOLD YOU NOT TO! :)

500MAG
09-15-2013, 02:26 PM
As for how long I've been a member and how many topics and stickies I have read (YOU know that as well I suppose) and that this has been addressed many times over, can you show me the list then?.
Maybe you haven't figured it out but "MOD" means Moderator. So, I think he does know how many topics and stickies you have read or he may have that access.

OeldeWolf
09-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Among the top 29:

Battery lead
wheel weights in Kaliforistan
boolits too small for the barrel, not starting by measuring your barrel and chamber
damp ingots going into molten lead...
trying to melt down unidentified lead boolit-looking things
failure to study-up before jumping into the deep end/not taking things one step at a time

btroj
09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
So you don't think a list that has the things that don't work is a good idea, everyone should just read every single post here like you have done. RIGHT?
AND since you have done the least bit of research, you know ALL of the the experiments that did not work. Perhaps you can share say the top 20?
If you don't care to help out, fine. If you do choose to post and give a heads up to fellow casters that great.
As for how long I've been a member and how many topics and stickies I have read (YOU know that as well I suppose) and that this has been addressed many times over, can you show me the list then? A keyword?
What sticky is it?

Dude, calm down a bit.

Problem is that there isn't a list of what DOES work. Many here hate Alox, some love it. Some like hard bullets, other like theirs soft.

I am willing to bet that other than saying the bullet needs to fit the bore we aren't gonna agree on anything as "proven" to matter.

There isn't a list because we each need to make out own. I use what works for me and give two hoots about whether or not it works for others. My gun is the ultimate judge, not some list.

Go cast, load, and shoot a few hinded pounds of lead. That is what will help you make your own list.

Love Life
09-15-2013, 03:07 PM
So can we shoot bullets designed for gas checks without gas checks?

500MAG
09-15-2013, 03:12 PM

Isn't that the question you normally answer?

Love Life
09-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Sometimes. I usually answer with one word "Yes."

This does a couple things:

They shoot without gas checks in all the calibers they are casting for.
They find out which calibers and what velocities you can shoot the bullets with checks successfully and unsuccessfully.

It makes them learn through trial and error. They then report back. Everybody wins.

jonp
09-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Maybe you haven't figured it out but "MOD" means Moderator. So, I think he does know how many topics and stickies you have read or he may have that access.

That's an understatement.

btroj
09-15-2013, 03:19 PM

What is the best has check bullet to shoot without a check? And he best powder, lube, and load for same but I won't tell you in what gun.

jonp
09-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Among the top 29:

Battery lead
wheel weights in Kaliforistan
boolits too small for the barrel, not starting by measuring your barrel and chamber
damp ingots going into molten lead...
trying to melt down unidentified lead boolit-looking things
failure to study-up before jumping into the deep end/not taking things one step at a time
Is this from an actual list,? I would be interested in the top 20 or 30 topics. How do you find this without being a mod and having an in to topic posts by number?

Love Life
09-15-2013, 03:22 PM
What is the best has check bullet to shoot without a check? And he best powder, lube, and load for same but I won't tell you in what gun.

And I don't own a manual, but I got this load off of some random guy off the net...

jonp
09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Dude, calm down a bit.

Problem is that there isn't a list of what DOES work. Many here hate Alox, some love it. Some like hard bullets, other like theirs soft.

I am willing to bet that other than saying the bullet needs to fit the bore we aren't gonna agree on anything as "proven" to matter.

There isn't a list because we each need to make out own. I use what works for me and give two hoots about whether or not it works for others. My gun is the ultimate judge, not some list.

Go cast, load, and shoot a few hinded pounds of lead. That is what will help you make your own list.
Lol I believe your first sentence was what I just said to you ;)

jonp
09-15-2013, 03:27 PM
And I don't own a manual, but I got this load off of some random guy off the net...

That is where I learned of my 36.7gr H110 over a 475gr boolit using lrmag primer load to use in my snubby titanium framed 45colt :shock:

500MAG
09-15-2013, 03:28 PM
My biggest "bad idea" happened 30 years or so ago. I went to a gun show with my dad and saw a used lyman spar-t for sale and said I'm gonna buy this and start reloading my own and save a fortune. Boy was I wrong.

Love Life
09-15-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm gonna buy this and start reloading my own and save a fortune. Boy was I wrong.

That, Sir, is the truth!!!! On the upside, reloading components and equipment holds value very well, and the majority of components only gain value!!

I sell it to my wife as an investment. Oh, and she keeps me in a constant state of panic when it comes to keeping 9mm stocked up. I swear that woman, her Glock 17, a few magazines, and some of her girlfriends, go through more 9mm ammo than a small police department!

jonp
09-15-2013, 03:37 PM
My biggest "mistake" was hitching up with a woman that told me I could buy as many guns as I wanted as long as I bought her one just like it. Lately she has been eyeing my reloading bench.

jeepyj
09-15-2013, 07:42 PM
What doesn't work for me is trying to convince a non caster that shooting cast boolits doesn't lead your barrel. I've given up bothering to try. Someone else mentioned that they don't actually save money casting/loading well for some who don't know when to stop at what they need instead of what they want maybe that is true(no disrespect to those with enough green backs to do so) but for me it enables me to produce quality ammunition that I can shoot with my children and friends It's not uncommon to shoot several hundred rounds without blinking a eye at the cost. For me it's a win win win. For you rugar6ppc if your serious about casting read read read there is so much to learn on this great site then practice and experiment until you can produce results that you can duplicate over and over. Best of luck!
Jeepyj

WILCO
09-15-2013, 07:46 PM

PM me and I'll give you a starting load........

WILCO
09-15-2013, 07:47 PM
PM me and I'll give you a starting load........

I found it with google!

Love Life
09-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Thank you for Googling it!! It was on the net so it is the gospel as hand down from upon high by the ballisticians.

blikseme300
09-15-2013, 09:53 PM
What sticky is it?

We are all unpaid volunteers on this free board so owe nobody any explanations or dues. Thus your attitude plays a huge part in how much feedback or help, if any, you will receive. Relax and learn that there are many differing opinions, outlook on life and diplomatic levels.
All of us were noobs once and learned over time the art of boolit casting and reloading. Sharing this experience is why we are here. Have fun, life is too short not to.

runfiverun
09-15-2013, 10:37 PM
a list of what don't work would actually be pretty short.
high velocity.
oh wait that does work.
booits that only fit the barrel and not the cylinde,,,eer that works too.

what not to do for real.
don't believe stuff you hear on the interweb ,at the gun shop, or at the range.

think for yourself, ;earn how to measure things, and be methodical in your testing you'll be surprised at what can be accomplished this way.

NoZombies
09-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Things that don't work:

About half of my county's population

Dale in Louisiana
09-16-2013, 01:15 PM
My biggest "mistake" was hitching up with a woman that told me I could buy as many guns as I wanted as long as I bought her one just like it. Lately she has been eyeing my reloading bench.
Just get an extra press. then the two of you can work side by side: You size, she charges, you seat...

dale in Louisiana

BBQJOE
09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Anyone looking for shortcuts, or the fast track to learning to cast and or reload, probably shouldn't do either.

357shooter
09-17-2013, 05:49 AM
I suppose nobody would agree on what works as well, or agree that what is in the books is correct.
Shouldn't read any posts here as nobody would agree about anything.
Don't even read THIS post. What? still reading? I TOLD YOU NOT TO! :)
You asked, I answered. I'm done with you.

BLTsandwedge
09-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Hi Ruger6ppc,

You did get a rough bite on some of the posts- and I don't apologize for any of them. The visceral reaction comes from the fact that for years and years- as far back as this fossil can remember- the mere suggestion that lead-acid car battery plates can somehow be used for casting bullets (not your overall post that suggests a top-ten of things that don't work). That one idea- battery plate usage- shrouded your entire post because of the relationship lead-acid batteries have with bullet casters. Here's how:

In short, I can't think of a worse solution to finding lead than to look toward the guts of car batteries- nor can the rest of the folks in this community (as demonstrated by the responses you'd received). Point-blank, it is stump-jumping easy to run into pulmonary edema (your lungs filling up with your own body fluid) by breathing hydrogen sulfide gas that could result from breaking apart lead-acid batteries found in autos. The best analogy I can think of is that one could suggest a safe deep-dive without a blend of gasses as opposed to plain compressed air. With such a suggestion and on the appropriate forum, you'd be nuked just as here. Take it this way- these folks are genuinely concerned with your health and with the content you post (how it may be interpreted by others). As stated before, this topic alone will overshadow any other idea you wish to put forth.

Sorry for the painful introduction, but honestly it is all good. You are welcome here.

Shalom,

Tom
BLTsandwedge

jonp
09-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Just get an extra press. then the two of you can work side by side: You size, she charges, you seat...

dale in Louisiana
yeah but then we are still back to buying two of everything. Not that I'm complaining. If that is the worst thing I can think of after 6yrs I'm doing pretty good.