PDA

View Full Version : RCBS LAM2 problems update...

21Glock
09-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Well, I got the 9+ month old White label 2500 heated up with my Lyman heater on the LAM2. Changed the lube O-ring plunger, (per RCBS) to the new one I got from RCBS yesterday.
Let the heater run a couple of hours, added a little extra lube to top it off in the reservoir. Turn lube pressure handle and it turns freely and no lube flows out to the die. Keep turning and turning, still nothing happens.
Unscrew reservoir cap and lube plunger hasn't traveled down the lube pressure screw at all. Tried an experiment,I manually pushed on lube in the reservoir with plunger pushing on the lube, the lube flows to the die like it should. Great!
But, hardly the solution the LAM2 was intended to provide.

Now, does it sound like I have a defective lube plunger, screw threaded reservoir assembly, or should I go to an air feed system (if a kit is even available, I'm not much of a diy guy in this area) or in the meantime, just get a wooden dowel the diameter of the reservoir and manually push down on the lube to get it to flow.
The LAM2 worked like a champ when I last used it back in the Spring.

I would sell it and get a Star, but I don't want to wait 5 months at this time to get back to sizing and lubing.
RCBS customer service was stellar as always. Above and beyond. They said it should be the O ring, changed it out and still the same problem of the lube pressure handle turning and no lube flowing the die.
Any suggestions or advice?

Wayne Smith
09-15-2013, 10:30 AM
With no lube in the tube, does the o-ring plunger move when you screw the pressure handle? From the way you describe it your plunger is not engaging the threads if it can be manually pushed down.

bhn22
09-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Is the threaded rod even there? You shouldn't be able to push the piston down with a dowel under any circumstances.

Valley-Shooter
09-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Are you turning the lube pressure screw counterclockwise?

21Glock
09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Let me explain in more detail here. I am turning the lube pressure handle clockwise, not counterwise. There is plenty of lube in the reservoir with the reservoir cap screwed on tight and the lube pressure handle is turned and turned and I can feel no resistance from contact with the lube and the lube plunger hasn't moved at all when I have turned the lube pressure handle.
The only way I can get the lube to flow is to unscrew the whole assembly and take it out of the lube reservoir.
Then, screw the lube plunger down the plunger screw and manually push the down on the lube with the plunger to get it to flow.
I have not used a wood dowel at all yet.

Airman Basic
09-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Not wanting to insult your intelligence, but my LAMII operates with the plunger turning counterclockwise. Mind's old and they might have changed that, though.

21Glock
09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
My big, big, dumb mistake. I haven't read the instructions since I first used it. I had to use it the right way last Spring. Everything is usually clockwise to tight or turn down. I just happened to pick up the instructions again and saw in big letters, COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. No insult on my intelligence, because in this case, it wasn't there! DUH!!!

Thanks guys, sorry to waste your time. Truly a case of operator error. COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. Now I'm ready to get back at it. Nothing wrong with my LAM2, it was the nut behind the handle. LOL.
I'm going to guard these instructions with my life from now on!